NVDA and reporting of spelling error

William

Hi all,

I have a question.

When I am editing a file using Word, if I press up or down arrow, I can hear NVDA reporting there is spelling error.

But if I press ctrl and up or down arrow to ask nvda to read the whole paragraph, even there are spelling errors inside that paragraph, nvda will not anounce it.

I am wondering is this the intended behavior of nvda?

Thanks,

William

Abbie Taylor

I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

William

> Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Correct, but in reality, I cannot do any correction without first reading the whole sentence, cause sometimes the spelling errors suggested by word is not correct.

Abbie Taylor 於 13/5/2022 06:47 寫道:

I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Gene

I don't know if anyone is reading this thread who doesn't know what is being discussed.  I'll briefly explain it.

In Word, NVDA space places you in browse mode.  W moves you to the next misspelled word.  You can hear the word in context by reading the current line.

When you are finished in browse mode, NVDA space turns browse mode off and you can work directly with the document, such as edit it, just as before.

Gene.

On 5/12/2022 7:10 PM, William wrote:

> Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Correct, but in reality, I cannot do any correction without first reading the whole sentence, cause sometimes the spelling errors suggested by word is not correct.

Abbie Taylor 於 13/5/2022 06:47 寫道:
I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

William

Hi Gene,

But do you confirm that nvda not reading the spelling errors by pressing ctrl and up or down arrows is an intended feature of nvda?

Gene 於 13/5/2022 08:25 寫道:

I don't know if anyone is reading this thread who doesn't know what is being discussed.  I'll briefly explain it.

In Word, NVDA space places you in browse mode.  W moves you to the next misspelled word.  You can hear the word in context by reading the current line.

When you are finished in browse mode, NVDA space turns browse mode off and you can work directly with the document, such as edit it, just as before.

Gene.

On 5/12/2022 7:10 PM, William wrote:

> Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Correct, but in reality, I cannot do any correction without first reading the whole sentence, cause sometimes the spelling errors suggested by word is not correct.

Abbie Taylor 於 13/5/2022 06:47 寫道:
I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Gene

I've never tried reading by paragraph while in a program where spelling errors are flagged.

Gene
On 5/12/2022 8:05 PM, William wrote:

Hi Gene,

But do you confirm that nvda not reading the spelling errors by pressing ctrl and up or down arrows is an intended feature of nvda?

Gene 於 13/5/2022 08:25 寫道:
I don't know if anyone is reading this thread who doesn't know what is being discussed.  I'll briefly explain it.

In Word, NVDA space places you in browse mode.  W moves you to the next misspelled word.  You can hear the word in context by reading the current line.

When you are finished in browse mode, NVDA space turns browse mode off and you can work directly with the document, such as edit it, just as before.

Gene.

On 5/12/2022 7:10 PM, William wrote:

> Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Correct, but in reality, I cannot do any correction without first reading the whole sentence, cause sometimes the spelling errors suggested by word is not correct.

Abbie Taylor 於 13/5/2022 06:47 寫道:
I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Gene

I just tested this.  I wrote two paragraphs in word and moved from one to the other using the read paragraph command.  No word that is misspelled is identified during read by paragraph.

I haven't tested with other screen-readers so it can't be assumed that this is an NVDA bug.

Gene

On 5/12/2022 8:09 PM, Gene wrote:

I've never tried reading by paragraph while in a program where spelling errors are flagged.

Gene
On 5/12/2022 8:05 PM, William wrote:

Hi Gene,

But do you confirm that nvda not reading the spelling errors by pressing ctrl and up or down arrows is an intended feature of nvda?

Gene 於 13/5/2022 08:25 寫道:
I don't know if anyone is reading this thread who doesn't know what is being discussed.  I'll briefly explain it.

In Word, NVDA space places you in browse mode.  W moves you to the next misspelled word.  You can hear the word in context by reading the current line.

When you are finished in browse mode, NVDA space turns browse mode off and you can work directly with the document, such as edit it, just as before.

Gene.

On 5/12/2022 7:10 PM, William wrote:

> Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Correct, but in reality, I cannot do any correction without first reading the whole sentence, cause sometimes the spelling errors suggested by word is not correct.

Abbie Taylor 於 13/5/2022 06:47 寫道:
I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Rui Fontes

If you read the user guide, is stated that the announcement of errors is only when we move with the cursor, meaning letter by letter, word by word or line by line...

To read that, go to the configurations panel and in the document format press f1.

Rui Fontes

On 5/12/2022 8:09 PM, Gene wrote:
I've never tried reading by paragraph while in a program where spelling errors are flagged.

Gene
On 5/12/2022 8:05 PM, William wrote:

Hi Gene,

But do you confirm that nvda not reading the spelling errors by pressing ctrl and up or down arrows is an intended feature of nvda?

Gene 於 13/5/2022 08:25 寫道:
I don't know if anyone is reading this thread who doesn't know what is being discussed.  I'll briefly explain it.

In Word, NVDA space places you in browse mode.  W moves you to the next misspelled word.  You can hear the word in context by reading the current line.

When you are finished in browse mode, NVDA space turns browse mode off and you can work directly with the document, such as edit it, just as before.

Gene.

On 5/12/2022 7:10 PM, William wrote:

> Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Correct, but in reality, I cannot do any correction without first reading the whole sentence, cause sometimes the spelling errors suggested by word is not correct.

Abbie Taylor 於 13/5/2022 06:47 寫道:
I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Sarah k Alawami

I actually did not know this, where is this documented?

Take care to all.

> Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Correct, but in reality, I cannot do any correction without first reading the whole sentence, cause sometimes the spelling errors suggested by word is not correct.

Abbie Taylor 13/5/2022 06:47 寫道:

I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Rui Fontes

In the user guide...

NVDA+Space puts NVDA in browse mode...

In browse mode you can press w to move from error to error...

Rui Fontes

Às 02:31 de 13/05/2022, Sarah k Alawami escreveu:

I actually did not know this, where is this documented?

Take care to all.

> Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Correct, but in reality, I cannot do any correction without first reading the whole sentence, cause sometimes the spelling errors suggested by word is not correct.

Abbie Taylor 13/5/2022 06:47 寫道:

I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Luke Davis

When you're reading to hear the content, or reading for pleasure, do you really want to be hearing spelling errors?

I don't. I would rather hear them only when reading by word or line, because it is then that I am editing and not just reading.

I suspect something like that--the difference between reading for content and reading for editing--is why it works this way.

Luke

Gene

That doesn't address the original question.  W is the command to move to the next error in browse mode.  The original question was regarding NVDA not announcing flagged errors when moving by paragraph.  When you move in other ways, by line, by word, in read to end, flagged errors are announced.

And that is the case in Word when in or not in browse mode.

Gene

On 5/12/2022 8:35 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:

In the user guide...

NVDA+Space puts NVDA in browse mode...

In browse mode you can press w to move from error to error...

Rui Fontes

Às 02:31 de 13/05/2022, Sarah k Alawami escreveu:

I actually did not know this, where is this documented?

Take care to all.

> Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Correct, but in reality, I cannot do any correction without first reading the whole sentence, cause sometimes the spelling errors suggested by word is not correct.

Abbie Taylor 13/5/2022 06:47 寫道:

I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Gene

Errors are announced in read to end so it makes no logical sense for paragraph reading to be excluded.  While I don't have a particular opinion about whether this matters to any extent, it is an interesting question as to why.

Gene

On 5/12/2022 9:08 PM, Luke Davis wrote:

When you're reading to hear the content, or reading for pleasure, do you really want to be hearing spelling errors?

I don't. I would rather hear them only when reading by word or line, because it is then that I am editing and not just reading.

I suspect something like that--the difference between reading for content and reading for editing--is why it works this way.

Luke

William

Oh, thank you for the clarification.

Rui Fontes 於 13/5/2022 09:30 寫道:

On 5/12/2022 8:09 PM, Gene wrote:
I've never tried reading by paragraph while in a program where spelling errors are flagged.

Gene
On 5/12/2022 8:05 PM, William wrote:

Hi Gene,

But do you confirm that nvda not reading the spelling errors by pressing ctrl and up or down arrows is an intended feature of nvda?

Gene 於 13/5/2022 08:25 寫道:
I don't know if anyone is reading this thread who doesn't know what is being discussed.  I'll briefly explain it.

In Word, NVDA space places you in browse mode.  W moves you to the next misspelled word.  You can hear the word in context by reading the current line.

When you are finished in browse mode, NVDA space turns browse mode off and you can work directly with the document, such as edit it, just as before.

Gene.

On 5/12/2022 7:10 PM, William wrote:

> Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Correct, but in reality, I cannot do any correction without first reading the whole sentence, cause sometimes the spelling errors suggested by word is not correct.

Abbie Taylor 於 13/5/2022 06:47 寫道:
I'm noticing the same thing. So, I'm assuming it's normal.

Did you know you can navigate between misspelled words by pressing NVDA plus Space, then W? When you find a misspelled word, press your applications key or Shift plus F10 to open the context menu, in order to correct the word. If you want to correct the word manually, you'll need to press NVDA plus Space again. I hope this is helpful.

Gene

Without having the technical knowledge to know if this makes sense, I suspect it has to do with text being sent to NVDA as a bloc.  When reading using read to end, it appears to me that text is sent line by line and of course, when reading line by line it is.  In other ways of moving, by word, for example, text is also not sent as a bloc.  But by paragraph, it appears to me that the entire paragraph is sent.  The paragraph is read in its entirety when you issue the move to next paragraph command, control down arrow.  I suspect that there is something about this that doesn't allow the flag code to be seen.

Gene

On 5/12/2022 9:08 PM, Luke Davis wrote:

When you're reading to hear the content, or reading for pleasure, do you really want to be hearing spelling errors?

I don't. I would rather hear them only when reading by word or line, because it is then that I am editing and not just reading.

I suspect something like that--the difference between reading for content and reading for editing--is why it works this way.

Luke

William

Interestingly, if I press num pad + or nvda +down arrow to read to the end, it does report spelling errors.

Gene 於 13/5/2022 10:16 寫道:

Errors are announced in read to end so it makes no logical sense for paragraph reading to be excluded.  While I don't have a particular opinion about whether this matters to any extent, it is an interesting question as to why.

Gene

On 5/12/2022 9:08 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
When you're reading to hear the content, or reading for pleasure, do you really want to be hearing spelling errors?

I don't. I would rather hear them only when reading by word or line, because it is then that I am editing and not just reading.

I suspect something like that--the difference between reading for content and reading for editing--is why it works this way.

Luke

Gene

I said it announces spelling errors when using read to end.

Gene

Gene wrote:

Errors are announced in read to end so it makes no logical sense for paragraph reading to be excluded.
I hadn't actually tested this when writing that, I sit corrected.

I did just play with it a little though.

Reading by paragraph is a Word function, not an NVDA function. NVDA is probably getting a blob of text from Word in that case, without any of the normal formatting indicators.

William, considering that sayall includes spelling errors--which I hadn't realized--personally I think this is either a bug or an oversight, not an intentional design choice.

If it is along the lines of what Rui said, it may be fixable. If it is closer to what I suspect is happening, there is probably nothing that can be done about it.

--
Luke
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Quentin Christensen

As has been found, spelling errors are reported when moving by word / line, and also during say all, but not when moving by paragraph.  As as been suggested, there could be several reasons for this, none of which, I would think, are deliberate.  I have written up an issue for this at: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13693

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 1:38 PM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:
Gene wrote:

> Errors are announced in read to end so it makes no logical sense for paragraph reading to be excluded.

I hadn't actually tested this when writing that, I sit corrected.

I did just play with it a little though.

Reading by paragraph is a Word function, not an NVDA function. NVDA is probably
getting a blob of text from Word in that case, without any of the normal
formatting indicators.

William, considering that sayall includes spelling errors--which I hadn't
realized--personally I think this is either a bug or an oversight, not an
intentional design choice.

If it is along the lines of what Rui said, it may be fixable. If it is closer to
what I suspect is happening, there is probably nothing that can be done about
it.

--
Luke
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sarah k Alawami

Oh wow? I knew about browse mode, I use it, but not in winword. I’ll have to try that the next time.