windows 7 and NVDA, what is the last version I can run.

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>

Perfectly logical, and I cannot thank you all enough for your good help to the likes of me. I actually think my capslock is already set to be used as an NVDA key. i'm in win-eyes this morning, though.  But I'll be closing it out and going for the NVDA.

Warmest regards,

Penny

On 5/12/2022 1:50 PM, Gene wrote:
NVDA supports Windows 7 in its current version.  One of the developers on the list says we will be notified when support will be dropped.

Regarding punctuation, the command NVDA key p cycles through all punctuation levels from none to all.  It cycles through them as many times as you use the command.

Regarding which NVDA key you want to use, here is something that wasn't discussed yet.

You can use the caps lock as an NVDA key regardless of whether you are using the desktop or the laptop keyboard layout.  It is a separate setting.  I often want to use the caps lock key when using the desktop layout.  I find it far more convenient to use caps lock down arrow rather than either insert down arrow.

The same for the punctuation command.  I would much rather use caps lock p than insert p.
To have the caps lock key work as an NVDA key, do the following:
Open the keyboard settings dialog with control NVDA k.
Tab to a check box about using the caps lock and check it with the space bar.
Press enter.
The dialog closes and the setting has been changed.
Now you can use whichever insert you want or caps lock.  You aren't turning insert off, you are just turning caps lock on.

Gene

On 5/12/2022 1:30 PM, Penny Golden wrote:

Hi.  I'm using windows 7; yes, eventually i'll go to a win 11 computer.

but not for a bit.  How can I know what is the last version of NVDA that windows-7 will work with?

Can I ask a second question?  Is there a toggle to turn on and off the speaking of punctuation symbols?  the hearing of punctuation makes it easy for me to do a lot of proof-reading on the PC, rather than moving it over to the braille device.

It is informal proofing.  for the really tough stuff, I use the braille under the hands.

Best, penny

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>

Thank you to you all.  I will be using the punctuation toggle when I'm needing it

And upgrading the program when I can.
As to the new computer, I'd like to purchase a new one with win 11 in it.
That's what we keep working for, right?  to be able to afford our toys.
This next is way off-topic, but it's short and sweet.  I suppose some of you have non-24; i do; off to take an afternoon nap.
We finish our 31st year of teaching on May 27. I can hardly keep the eyes open.
Best, pen. thanks for all the good info.
The moke's on me this time. I was going to try to turn on punctuation, but I'm back in win-eyes so I could do that informal proof reading.  so first it said jaws key; the undefined key; then It wouldn't let me out.
I'd better get that nap. sorry for the book-length message. just delete it. but not without noting the thanks to you all for your kindnesses.
Penny

On 5/12/2022 1:52 PM, Carlos Medrano wrote:

Hi Penny,

It's been a while since I've used a machine running Windows 7, but I've never heard of there being a version cutoff for that OS. I could be wrong though. According to the download page, they have a cutoff version for Windows XP and Vista.

For changing the punctuation level, NVDA+P should toggle between all 4 levels of verbosity.

Hope this helps.

- Carlos

On 5/12/2022 11:30 AM, Penny Golden wrote:

Hi.  I'm using windows 7; yes, eventually i'll go to a win 11 computer.

but not for a bit.  How can I know what is the last version of NVDA that windows-7 will work with?

Can I ask a second question?  Is there a toggle to turn on and off the speaking of punctuation symbols?  the hearing of punctuation makes it easy for me to do a lot of proof-reading on the PC, rather than moving it over to the braille device.

It is informal proofing.  for the really tough stuff, I use the braille under the hands.

Best, penny

Rui Fontes

This is teue if Windows 7 have SP1 installed...

Retired from userGuide:

◦ For Windows 7, NVDA requires Service Pack 1 or higher.

Rui Fontes

Às 19:50 de 12/05/2022, Gene escreveu:

[...]

Carlos Medrano

[...]

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

you can use the latest NVDA vercion, 2021.3.5
on the scores, you can pressNVDA and the letter p

--
eduardo fermiano luccas
joinville, brasil

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>