Question Regarding Browse setting

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

One of the browse settings asks for the maximum number of characters on one
line.

Another question is how many lines on one page.

What should be the number entered for each?

Gene

I'd only worry about those settings if you are dissatisfied with how you move through a page.  I don't know the significance of the lines per page setting.  When I load a web page, it is fully loaded and that is how I want it.

If you are looking through text such as an article, shorter lines means that you may find what you are looking for more easily on a shorter line.  There is less to read per line and it may be faster to skim.

Gene

On 5/13/2022 11:50 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

One of the browse settings asks for the maximum number of characters on one
line.

Another question is how many lines on one page.

What should be the number entered for each?

Luke Davis

Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

One of the browse settings asks for the maximum number of characters on one
line.
Another question is how many lines on one page.
What should be the number entered for each?
Whatever you are comfortable with. Have you tried pressing F1 while on either of those fields, to get a better understanding of what they are for?

Luke

Luke Davis

Gene wrote:

I don't know the significance of the lines per page setting.
Again, easily determined by pressing F1 while in that field. It configures how many lines a page up/down keypress moves while in browse mode.

I have mine set to 48, since that is the line count on my Linux text consoles, and I am used to its progress characteristics. That said, I rarely use pgup/pgdn on web pages.

--
Luke
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Gene

I just checked.  F1 brings up the user manual.  Shift f1 opens the manual to the part that describes the command you are on when you issue the command.

I don't know how often shift f1 is used for context `sensitive help these days.  It used to be a long time ago but I haven't seen it discussed for a long time.

Gene

On 5/14/2022 1:01 AM, Luke Davis wrote:

Gene wrote:

I don't know the significance of the lines per page setting.

Again, easily determined by pressing F1 while in that field. It configures how many lines a page up/down keypress moves while in browse mode.

I have mine set to 48, since that is the line count on my Linux text consoles, and I am used to its progress characteristics. That said, I rarely use pgup/pgdn on web pages.

Gene

Now that I know that context sensitive help is available, there may be times I refer people to it.  I don't think it is generally known.  I don't recall seeing it discussed here before.

And it will save me time on occasions when I want to look up what a command does.

Gene

Gene wrote:

I just checked.  F1 brings up the user manual.  Shift f1 opens the manual to the part that describes the command you are on when you issue the command.
That is not the normal experience. Check your keyboard layout against NVDA input help. F1 is supposed to work alone for this, although if your browser remembers where you were last reading in the manual, it may not work so well.

I don't think it is generally known. I don't recall seeing it discussed here before.
Perhaps I shouldn't have recommended it. It is apparently an undocumented feature, and does not work in every possible place within NVDA currently. It does work in most or all of the settings panels though, and is worth trying if you can't remember what something does.

--
Luke
"I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I only know what I can do." -James T. Kirk

Gene

The commands aren't defined in Input Help.  However, the difference in behavior may depend on whether  Windows 7 or Windows 10 or 11 is being used.

In Windows 7, at least on my machine, what I said is the case.  In Windows 10, both f1 and shift f1 do the same thing, in other words they both bring up context sensitive help.

I wouldn't think the version of Windows would make any difference but it seems to.

Gene

On 5/14/2022 4:56 AM, Luke Davis wrote:

Gene wrote:

I just checked.  F1 brings up the user manual.  Shift f1 opens the manual to the part that describes the command you are on when you issue the command.

That is not the normal experience. Check your keyboard layout against NVDA input help. F1 is supposed to work alone for this, although if your browser remembers where you were last reading in the manual, it may not work so well.

I don't think it is generally known.  I don't recall seeing it discussed here before.

Perhaps I shouldn't have recommended it. It is apparently an undocumented feature, and does not work in every possible place within NVDA currently. It does work in most or all of the settings panels though, and is worth trying if you can't remember what something does.

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

Luke, no, I have never pressed the F1 key to get information. That is
because I never knew about it before today. Thanks to you and Gene, I will
have a new reference for learning.

As a note, the shift F1 works to explain the item I last stopped on.
Marilyn

One of the browse settings asks for the maximum number of characters
on one line.
Another question is how many lines on one page.
What should be the number entered for each?
Whatever you are comfortable with. Have you tried pressing F1 while on
either of those fields, to get a better understanding of what they are for?

Luke

Monte Single

I am not sure, but I think using the F1 key is a windows key command and
not specific to a screenreader.
What you get when you press the f1 key depends on the app you are using and
what you are doing.
Hopefully, there are others on this list who can clarify my statement.

One of the browse settings asks for the maximum number of characters
on one line.
Another question is how many lines on one page.
What should be the number entered for each?
Whatever you are comfortable with. Have you tried pressing F1 while on
either of those fields, to get a better understanding of what they are for?

Luke

Gene

f1 is usually help.  In the old days, shift f1 was used in many applications for context sensitive help, such as when you were in a field of a dialog.  I don't know if it is used to any extent in that way now.

Gene

On 5/14/2022 9:28 AM, Monte Single wrote:

I am not sure, but I think  using the F1 key is a windows key command and
not specific to a screenreader.
What you get when you press the f1 key depends on the app you are using and
what you are doing.
Hopefully,   there are others on this list who can clarify my statement.

One of the browse settings asks for the maximum number of characters
on one line.
Another question is how many lines on one page.
What should be the number entered for each?
Whatever you are comfortable with. Have you tried pressing F1 while on
either of those fields, to get a better understanding of what they are for?

Luke

tim

Don't you mean shift + f10, never heard of shift + f1.

On 5/14/2022 11:21 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

In every app I have ever ran f1 has always ben for help and same in OS's even mac.

On 5/14/2022 10:28 AM, Monte Single wrote:
I am not sure, but I think using the F1 key is a windows key command and
not specific to a screenreader.
What you get when you press the f1 key depends on the app you are using and
what you are doing.
Hopefully, there are others on this list who can clarify my statement.

One of the browse settings asks for the maximum number of characters
on one line.
Another question is how many lines on one page.
What should be the number entered for each?
Whatever you are comfortable with. Have you tried pressing F1 while on
either of those fields, to get a better understanding of what they are for?

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

I remember shift plus f1 when I was younger, about 20 years ago for contextual sensitive help as well. So no shift f1 depending on the program can be accurate as well as f1.

One of the browse settings asks for the maximum number of characters
on one line.
Another question is how many lines on one page.
What should be the number entered for each?
Whatever you are comfortable with. Have you tried pressing F1 while on
either of those fields, to get a better understanding of what they are for?

Luke

Gene

Shift f10 is for opening the context menu.  I'm talking about context sensitive help.

Gene

On 5/14/2022 11:18 AM, tim wrote:

[...]

Deenadayalan Moodley

Hi Gene,

Quite by accident, I pressed <fn+right Control> on both my Dell laptops and this gives me context sensitive menus.  I wonder if this works on other laptop keyboards.

I have never seen this in any documentation.

Thanks.

Mr. Deenadayalan Moodley

One of the browse settings asks for the maximum number of characters
on one line.
Another question is how many lines on one page.
What should be the number entered for each?
Whatever you are comfortable with. Have you tried pressing F1 while on
either of those fields, to get a better understanding of what they are for?

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

No, this is not contextual menus but contextual help. There is a difference. And yes you are thinking of shift f10 or the applications key, that is standard in windows.

One of the browse settings asks for the maximum number of characters
on one line.
Another question is how many lines on one page.
What should be the number entered for each?
Whatever you are comfortable with. Have you tried pressing F1 while on
either of those fields, to get a better understanding of what they are for?

Luke

Carlos Medrano

Wow; I didn't know shift+f1 was possible in the NVDA settings dialogue. Is that a Windows-wide thing? For most applications, I know f1 is the key that launches help for the focused application.

The context menu with fn+right control is a Dell keyboard specific thing as far as I know. The laptop sends the applications key that used to be present on a lot of keyboards years ago to the operating system.

- Carlos

Carlos Medrano wrote:

Wow; I didn't know shift+f1 was possible in the NVDA settings dialogue.
It's supposed to be just F1, though Shift+F1 works also because Windows (or maybe WX) sees them as the same thing. Shift+F1 is no longer F13, as it used to be back in the old days.

Is that a Windows-wide thing? For most applications, I know f1 is the key that launches help for the focused application.
Which is why NVDA supports it. It is in the changelog for 2020.4, but somehow never made it into the user manual. I have opened an issue for that.

Luke
"I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I only know what I can do." -James T. Kirk

Gene

I think this is important enough information and so unknown that it should be widely discussed.

The feature means I no longer have to open the manual and find information about this or that specific field.  F1 opens the manual to the place where the information is discussed.

I think it should also be discussed in "In Progress" and in Top Tech Tidbits as well.  I consider this to be a very important feature.

Gene