Man or woman. really strange.

Gene

It could be NVDA announcing this if an emoji is being used.  I checked and NVDA does have the announcement man for an emoji of just a man and woman for an emoji of just a woman.  Since the emoji NVDA  is aware of and will announce is expanded over time in new versions, it may well be that the old version you were using wasn't aware of those emoji.

Also, too expand the topic, you may come across web sites where you hear shapes and information about shapes announced that is very distracting.

I have come across web sites where a shape is used for emphasis, as a bullet would be.  So you may be reading a number of points and hear, right pointing triangle stated repeatedly before a point begins or a number of words, filled right pointing  triangle, then some more words, then the same shape, etc.  Depending on what the page is using, you may hear various shapes announced in this distracting way.

I won't go into how you stop it, because you have to change a setting for any shape you hear and the general method of how you do this is beyond the scope of the discussion.  But if you come across something and you want to stop it, if you ask here, I will tell you or someone else may.

Gene.

On 5/17/2022 6:02 PM, Luke Robinett wrote:
Hi Penny,

Yes, that makes sense. People can specify how they would like to be referred to and perhaps that’s what it’s picking up on. Not sure why you’re worried about controversy etc. as I don’t see anything negative in this thread. Maybe you were talking about something else. Cheers

On May 17, 2022, at 2:39 PM, Penny Golden <pengold2@...> wrote:

First off, i was warned, or we all were, that this is off-topic.

So I feel like I really just ought to get off the list, for it was my fault that this got brought up.

I figured it was from NVDA, since that evening I had installed a much newer version of NVDA, and that is when it came up.

I am sure that when people set up those accounts, they are asked gender.  I have no idea what was up there; i just heard the word man or woman.  And I figured it had to do with the fact that I was running a newer version of the NVDA.

Well, I hate to upset the apple cart, and we were warned to keep off this topic.

If you only knew what a law-abidin' citizen I really am. I hate list controversy.

Let's try not to talk about this. someone hates it.

On 5/17/2022 3:33 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Penny Golden wrote:

This was audio only; i wonder not only how it makes the designations, but why it does.
When you setup your account, does it ask your gender or some other kind of m/f/other identification?

That would be how it knows.

Is it using an Emoji of a man or a woman, or the actual words?

NVDA is capable of speaking Emoji, but I don't run into them enough online to remember how they are announced.

Luke

Luke Robinett

Just a casual observer of the original thread here so I don’t really have a horse in this race, but it seemed like the question was asked to determine if it was NVDA related or not. I can understand reserving some topics for those other forums when it’s known that it isn’t specifically NVDA related, but we can also probably give folks the benefit of the doubt too. Not all users are necessarily technically savvy enough to make that distinction on their own. Cheers

On May 17, 2022, at 12:04 PM, Jason Bratcher <imcoocoo@...> wrote:

Before I get banned from this list,
this topic should have either gone to NVDAChat or WindowsAccess, not here since it doesn't impact the way NVDA behaves.
TeamTalk's what you're talking about;
There's ao option to show graphics next to names of people,
i.e. gender, microphone, etc.
People,
Please Watch Where Your Topics Go.
Brian Can't Stress that enough.
I think that oughta be enough!
Jason Bratcher

Luke Robinett

Penny Golden wrote:

This was audio only; i wonder not only how it makes the designations, but why it does.
When you setup your account, does it ask your gender or some other kind of m/f/other identification?

That would be how it knows.

Is it using an Emoji of a man or a woman, or the actual words?

NVDA is capable of speaking Emoji, but I don't run into them enough online to remember how they are announced.

Luke

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Penny, in the later version of teamTalk it does announce the gender of the person. You set it in preferences.It is the very next tab after your name. ,

On 5/17/2022 11:05 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
This was audio only; i wonder not only how it makes the designations, but why it does.

In any event, once we go to the win 11 machine, maybe things will change, and most certainly they will; my thick head of hair may get lots thinner lots faster.

On 5/17/2022 11:58 AM, Luke Robinett wrote:
Oh wow. That could get very dicey very quickly depending on peoples gender identities lol. Funny anecdote though. I wonder how it makes those determinations?

On May 16, 2022, at 7:27 PM, Penny Golden <pengold2@...> wrote:

I upgraded to a newer version of NVDA.  But I am also going to upgrade the computer in a few days. Nevertheless, listen to this one.

We use a talk-client, I forget the name.  But it's really well-known.  I used it with Win-eyes, and with the 2015 NVDA. Tonight I went to the I C C, and there were five in the meeting.

Before it would list the name and wouldn't say anything, unless, perhaps, Penny, Away.

Now for each, it told me whether they were Man or Woman.

Betsy, Man; Jack, Man; Lenore, Woman; Marsha, Man; Penny, Man.

Has anyone seen such interesting behavior?

It sure doesn't matter, since no one else sees this.  It's just my NVDA that does it. But I'm upgrading to a new computer; so I'll probably just have new questions for you then.

Best,

Penny

--
******
Sometimes I think I understand everything, and then I regain consciousness.

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>

Penny Golden wrote:

This was audio only; i wonder not only how it makes the designations, but why it does.
When you setup your account, does it ask your gender or some other kind of m/f/other identification?

That would be how it knows.

Is it using an Emoji of a man or a woman, or the actual words?

NVDA is capable of speaking Emoji, but I don't run into them enough online to remember how they are announced.

Luke

Luke Davis

Penny Golden wrote:

[...]

Betsy Grenevitch

Oh, that is funny. Thanks for sharing. It was great to see you there tonight.

Take care and get some sleep.

On 5/16/2022 10:27 PM, Penny Golden wrote:

I upgraded to a newer version of NVDA.  But I am also going to upgrade the computer in a few days. Nevertheless, listen to this one.

We use a talk-client, I forget the name.  But it's really well-known.  I used it with Win-eyes, and with the 2015 NVDA. Tonight I went to the I C C, and there were five in the meeting.

Before it would list the name and wouldn't say anything, unless, perhaps, Penny, Away.

Now for each, it told me whether they were Man or Woman.

Betsy, Man; Jack, Man; Lenore, Woman; Marsha, Man; Penny, Man.

Has anyone seen such interesting behavior?

It sure doesn't matter, since no one else sees this.  It's just my NVDA that does it. But I'm upgrading to a new computer; so I'll probably just have new questions for you then.

Best,

Penny

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876