When updating nvda, do I always need to deactivate / activate the eloquence nvda add on again?

Daniel McGee

As the example the recent RC version of nvda 2022.2

Or any nvda releases for that matter. Except for add on breaking releases obviously.

I wish I knew a Definitive answer for this particular add on. As I use it exclusively for my hearing impairment.

While I understand the situation where it's obvious to deactivate. Formatting the drive, upgrading internals. Etc.

Is it Absolutely, necessary, every time, when there's an nvda update or even a: feature update to windows 10 or 11.

For those who use the add on, would love to know your thoughts.

With kind regards

Daniel

Brian's Mail list account

I'm not sure what you are saying. I'd have thought that as the drivers are part of nvda, at least when it updates, it has to do a restart and hence cannot speak.
In the case of windows updates when windows does this it normally runs in a mode where as few bits of windows are running as possible, so it can update system files and then reboots. So are you saying that this loses the paid for voices unless you deactivated them before the update then re enable after it? That would seem a little odd since most registered software seems happy to re initialise as windows reboots.
What are you trying to hear during the update process, as of course Narrator can be set to at least talk some prompts, and maybe finding a different default voice might help, but unless Microsoft are going to do an Apple and put in Eloquence as standard, you are probably stuck with whatever happens here.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

As the example the recent RC version of nvda 2022.2

Or any nvda releases for that matter. Except for add on breaking releases obviously.

I wish I knew a Definitive answer for this particular add on. As I use it exclusively for my hearing impairment.

While I understand the situation where it's obvious to deactivate. Formatting the drive, upgrading internals. Etc.

Is it Absolutely, necessary, every time, when there's an nvda update or even a: feature update to windows 10 or 11.

For those who use the add on, would love to know your thoughts.

With kind regards

Daniel

Gene

Its a question about licensing.

Gene

On 7/15/2022 3:18 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:

[...]
Brian

Daniel McGee

Hi Gene and Brian

Gene is right, my question is indeed more about licensing.

So basically, within the eloquence and vocalizer add on compatible release cycle. If I wanted to try out the latest NVDA beta, do I always need to: one, deactivate the eloquence and vocalizer addon.

Two: update NVDA

Three: reactivate the eloquence and vocalizer addon again.

If one just updates NVDA but something goes Arie during the update process, does that mean the user loses one of the three activation keys that come with the purchased addon product.

Hoping this explanation is now crystal clear!

With kind regards

Daniel

On 15/07/2022 10:43, Gene wrote:

[...]

Well, most software I have licenses for checks at boot time of the software.

[...]

Of course the only people who can tell you that are the vendors. I suspect that depends on exactly where the update goes wrong. I remember back in the days I used Dolphin screenreaders, they were pretty laid back if this kind of thing happened as were the third parties selling voices not normally included, and that was years ago.