Using NVDA remote via an iPhone?

zhu bonie

Hi Shawn. Thanks a ton for your kind reply!

Jonathan Milam

This is very true, but RIM previously mentioned on this list can actually do that now, in addition to allowing copy/paste of files and folders between the controller and the target.

Jonathan

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 11:08 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 10:42 AM, zhu bonie wrote:
Therefore, I can only control one of the two devices. Is it right?
-
As a general observation, this is true of remote software of all types that I've ever worked with.  One side is "in control" while the other is "being controlled" and those roles cannot be switched once they have been established for a session.

If I'm the person giving assistance/controlling from one end, the person being assisted on the other cannot flip-flop the roles to become the assistant/controller, nor can I as the controlling side hand that off to them.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

~ Vance Packard

Shawn

Hi, I never tried the TTS, just Voiceover, so I can't tell you that one, but as soon as you press the home button on your phone you'll be out of the NVDA remote app and can do other things on your phone with the keyboard I would think. I actually haven't tried that either, I usually just use gestures directly on the phone to disconnect the NVDA remote app when I'm done. I really haven't actually tried to use it for any length of time, so never really needed to switch from using it to doing something on my phone, but if I did, I would just use the phone's screen and the home button to navigate away from it as I would if I weren't using the keyboard at all.

Shawn Klein

On 7/25/2022 9:42 AM, zhu bonie wrote:

Hi Shawn 
Thanks so much for your kind help! It's really detailed.
Now I want to switch the control of my iPhone and computer freely. After I controlled my computer, I want to control my iPhone again. What should I do?
I also find that if I close the screen of my iPhone, the remote will stop. Is it right?
Finally, now I have to turn off my voice-over to use the TTS speech engine. When I turn on voice-over again, the remote will also stop. Therefore, I can only control one of the two devices. Is it right?
Thanks!

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 10:42 AM, zhu bonie wrote:
Therefore, I can only control one of the two devices. Is it right?
-
As a general observation, this is true of remote software of all types that I've ever worked with.  One side is "in control" while the other is "being controlled" and those roles cannot be switched once they have been established for a session.

If I'm the person giving assistance/controlling from one end, the person being assisted on the other cannot flip-flop the roles to become the assistant/controller, nor can I as the controlling side hand that off to them.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

~ Vance Packard

zhu bonie

Hi Shawn 
Thanks so much for your kind help! It's really detailed.
Now I want to switch the control of my iPhone and computer freely. After I controlled my computer, I want to control my iPhone again. What should I do?
I also find that if I close the screen of my iPhone, the remote will stop. Is it right?
Finally, now I have to turn off my voice-over to use the TTS speech engine. When I turn on voice-over again, the remote will also stop. Therefore, I can only control one of the two devices. Is it right?
Thanks!

Shawn

Oh I forgot. You said you got the NVDA menu, so maybe you have a working insert or NVDA key. My Mathias Bluetooth keyboard that can pair to 4 devices and switch between them doesn't have another insert key. When controlling NVDA the numpad insert is always 0 even with numlock off on the pc, so you need the other insert key unless you have your NVDA key set to caps lock. But I had to remember that for my keyboard you have to use fn+delete on the middle 9-pack which normal keyboards have the 6-pack to get the insert key. Your keyboard may not have this issue, but this is for anyone who has it. Another thing with the remote on the IPhone, since input is really fast, but speech output is slow, output just keeps building up on the phone if you're just using your NVDA speech and ignoring the IPhone speech as I was doing to remind myself how all this works, so Voiceover ends up several commands behind yacking about stuff you did a minute ago lol. So if you wanted to use your phone as a long range wireless keyboard for your pc you'd probably want some other wireless way to get audio directly for NVDA unless you're ok with the very delayed output from the phone. I'm very tempted to get an FM transmitter for this purpose.

Shawn Klein

On 7/23/2022 11:13 AM, Arlene wrote:

Hmmm, I didn’t know that.  I wasn’t sure if you can control the Pc using an apple product such as the I Phone.  I know if both the Pc and the Android phone if it does use NVDA. I think you  can control the computer using your windows phone. 

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: July 23, 2022 7:43 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Using NVDA remote via an iPhone?

    Hi all

I saw an article about how to use NVDA remote add-on on our Chinese NVDA community website. It told that iPhone can also control my computer by this remote add-on, because there is an application called "NVDA remote" on iPhone.But after I connected successfully, I can only open the NVDA menu, and all keys I pressed after that were invalid. I was still controlling my iPhone, not my computer. The key F11, which is used for switching control between iPhone and my computer, doesnt work. My bluetooth keyboard which is used for controlling my iPhone is logi K375s. 

Does anyone have a solution? Thanks a ton!

Best regards

Bonnie

Arlene

Hmmm, I didn’t know that.  I wasn’t sure if you can control the Pc using an apple product such as the I Phone.  I know if both the Pc and the Android phone if it does use NVDA. I think you  can control the computer using your windows phone. 

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: July 23, 2022 7:43 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Using NVDA remote via an iPhone?

    Hi all

I saw an article about how to use NVDA remote add-on on our Chinese NVDA community website. It told that iPhone can also control my computer by this remote add-on, because there is an application called "NVDA remote" on iPhone.But after I connected successfully, I can only open the NVDA menu, and all keys I pressed after that were invalid. I was still controlling my iPhone, not my computer. The key F11, which is used for switching control between iPhone and my computer, doesnt work. My bluetooth keyboard which is used for controlling my iPhone is logi K375s. 

Best regards

Bonnie

Shawn

Hi Bonnie, f11 isn't necessary on the IPhone, you're already controling your PC as soon as you connect with both devices. You need to have the same host usually nvdaremote.com and the same key on both. but should you need to press an f key on Windows, remember that on the IPhone the f keys control media functions unless you press them in conjunction with the fn (function key) on your keyboard. Also remember that the alt and windows keys will be reversed because of how Apple maps them. So when you want to alt tab, what you really must do is windows key tab, which is actually option as far as your phone is concerned. Alt becomes command, and therefore it becomes windows in the remote program, so press alt to get to the start menu where you would normally press windows. So for an example, to alt+f4 close a program you now need to press fn+option+f4, which is the same key as fn+windows+f4. You will also need possibly to press left and right arrows simultaneously once to turn off the quick nav that you probably forgot you have on constantly for your IPhone. If it's on, arrow keys won't do what they normally do in Windows and you will wonder why you can't read documents. Also, there is a long delay in when Voiceover speaks what is coming from NVDA, so you have to get used to that.

Shawn Klein

On 7/23/2022 9:07 AM, zhu bonie wrote:

    Hi all
I saw an article about how to use NVDA remote add-on on our Chinese NVDA community website. It told that iPhone can also control my computer by this remote add-on, because there is an application called "NVDA remote" on iPhone.But after I connected successfully, I can only open the NVDA menu, and all keys I pressed after that were invalid. I was still controlling my iPhone, not my computer. The key “F11”, which is used for switching control between iPhone and my computer, doesn’t work. My bluetooth keyboard which is used for controlling my iPhone is logi K375s. 
Best regards
Bonnie

zhu bonie

    Hi all
I saw an article about how to use NVDA remote add-on on our Chinese NVDA community website. It told that iPhone can also control my computer by this remote add-on, because there is an application called "NVDA remote" on iPhone.But after I connected successfully, I can only open the NVDA menu, and all keys I pressed after that were invalid. I was still controlling my iPhone, not my computer. The key “F11”, which is used for switching control between iPhone and my computer, doesn’t work. My bluetooth keyboard which is used for controlling my iPhone is logi K375s. 
Best regards
Bonnie