NVDA with Android emulators.

Ravindran V.S.

Hi Experts!

Greetings!

How accessible are the Android emulators with NVDA?

If I install BlueStacks in my windows 10 PC, will NVDA support accessing it easily as usual like the other programs?

And is there anything to setup or consider before starting?

Any Add-on available for this?

Appreciate your ideas please.

Thank you, have a pleasant day!

Ravi.  

V.S.Ravindran.

Excuses leads to failure!””

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2022 1:16 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] First question

Depending on how you use a computer, you may just be wasting money if you buy a faster processor.  Also, machines don't tend to slow down just because they do.  It may be that over time, if you do certain things, your Windows may slow down and you may want to put on a clean copy or revert to a backup, but that is not inevitable.  I use machines for years and they don't slow down.

Many people spend more money, sometimes quite a bit more than they need to and get little or no benefit.

Gene

On 7/26/2022 2:27 AM, Ravindran V.S. wrote:

Isn't it worth also looking about the processor?
If a 2.4Ghz would do a lot rather than anything like a 1.5Ghz.
But I'm afraid about the cost of it.
Still, it is always better to look for the best option near to our budget, and if there is anything better to lift it for little more considering the long time use.
Because machines tent to slow down when time passes. And it will be a real pain at that time.
Cheers,
V.S.Ravindran.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2022 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] First question

8 gig will work fine, 16 is good.
Anything more than 16  gig of ram is a waste of money  unless you are doing audio/video editing.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Harry Spencer
Sent: July 25, 2022 8:26 PM
Subject: [nvda] First question

Hello. I've been lurking on this list for a couple of months and have learned a lot. I have an immediate problem. My 10-year-old Toshiba laptop died a couple of days ago.

I want to buy an inexpensive laptop as an replacement, but nothing fancy, just Windows 10 or 11 with Thunderbird and MS Word and latest NVDA. Mostly, I use a laptop for a backup for my desktop PC and word processing.

In the past, I heard that JAWS and other screenreaders need lots of RAM,
8 GB or more. All the cheap laptops I'm looking at start at 4GB RAM. Is that enough for NVDA?

Any suggesstions on me buying a cheap backup laptop functional with NVDA will b very much appreciated.

Thanks. Harry

VI Techability

no you can't access the android emulators with NVDa. you need to install talkback to use the ambulator. you may use nvda ocr to go through the initial screen of bluestak but to use the android os you need to use talkback which is not possible to use until you get any sighted assistance to install it. note:

Ravindran V.S.

Hi,

Thank you for this info.

So, is it possible to install Talkback in the Windows PC under BlueStacks?

In that case temporarily disable NVDA and use Talkback to operate the Android app?

Thanks,

Ravi.

V.S.Ravindran.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of VI Techability
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA with Android emulators.

no you can't access the android emulators with NVDa. you need to install talkback to use the ambulator. you may use nvda ocr to go through the initial screen of bluestak but to use the android os you need to use talkback which is not possible to use until you get any sighted assistance to install it. note:

Ravindran V.S.

And does NVDA behaves the same in Windows 11 under same conditions in Android Emulator?

Because I heard that Win 11 has some support for Android apps.

Thanks,

V.S.Ravindran.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ravindran V.S. via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 12:18 PM

Hi,

Thank you for this info.

So, is it possible to install Talkback in the Windows PC under BlueStacks?

In that case temporarily disable NVDA and use Talkback to operate the Android app?

Thanks,

Ravi.

V.S.Ravindran.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of VI Techability
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 10:33 AM

udit pandey

hi ravi,
in win 11 there its called as subsystem for android and amazon appstoor but its only for us residents but 99.9% are the pociblity for it to be included for the Indian residents

VI Techability

hi the android ameulator is totally different it does not deals with nvda so it is not necessary to stop nvda. just turn on talkback on the ameulator and you are good to go. i don't have much info on windows 11 android subsystem but i have seen blind people using it with talkback.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 02:52 AM, Ravindran V.S. wrote:
And does NVDA behaves the same in Windows 11 under same conditions in Android Emulator?
-
Unless something has changed, radically, since the use of an Android emulator under Windows last came up, there's no NVDA involvement at all beyond triggering the emulator under Windows.

One should think of an Android Emulator (regardless of which one) as a virtual Android machine running on a Windows box.  When you have focus in that environment, it is entirely under the control of Android itself, so you would need to have Android Accessibility Suite installed and turned on when you "slip into the Android world" the emulator provides.  When focus gets thrown back out of that environment and into Windows, NVDA is right there on deck.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

~ Vance Packard

udit pandey

hi VI Techability ,
you said: "I have seen blind people using it with talkback."
but for your general information, I should tell you my friend its not talkback its subsystem screen reader

udit pandey

hi Brian,
ok I strongly agree with you. But tell me if it's possible to make nvda work till the installation of talkback. You will say why I am saying this. But sometimes some blind people find it odd to take sited assistance that's why when they use nvda or any other assistive technology they feel independent.
so sorry if someone got her. my intention is not like that.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 01:44 PM, udit pandey wrote:
But tell me if it's possible to make nvda work till the installation of talkback.
-
To my knowledge, no, and that's not limited to NVDA.  None of the Windows screen readers do this.

Once you are in the emulated OS environment you have essentially left Windows, and all running Windows programs, until you exit it again.  I had Blue Stacks installed at one point but used it so seldom I removed it.  Someone else here is going to have to discuss how to enable the Android screen reader under an emulator via the keyboard and likely without any feedback as I have no idea how that's done.
--

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

~ Vance Packard

Previous discussions here regarding Android Emulators and screen readers:  

Does anyone know if NVDA works with the BlueStacks Android emulator?

Android Emulators

On the BlindAndroidUsers Group, this is the topic I was recalling, and it really doesn't say much of anything that hasn't already been said here:  Revisiting Android Emulators for PC?

--

~ Vance Packard

Ravindran V.S.

Thank you all for your responses and the references.

Let me give it a try as suggested here.

If NVDA could give a hand till the Talk Back is activated, then it would be the best solution.

Thanks again, have a nice day!

Ravi.

V.S.Ravindran.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 11:32 PM

Previous discussions here regarding Android Emulators and screen readers:  

Does anyone know if NVDA works with the BlueStacks Android emulator?

Android Emulators

On the BlindAndroidUsers Group, this is the topic I was recalling, and it really doesn't say much of anything that hasn't already been said here:  Revisiting Android Emulators for PC?

--

~ Vance Packard

VI Techability

hello  udit thanks for correcting me

mr Krit Kumar kedia

Hi all,
I also have a question regarding the topic going on:
by using the android emulator, can we use all the aps on our pc which run on our  android phones?
How can we use talkback on our pc?
what are the main spex are required to run android apps on our PC?

thank you,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 4:24 PM VI Techability <vitechability@...> wrote:
hello  udit thanks for correcting me

Edited

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 01:17 PM, mr Krit Kumar kedia wrote:
by using the android emulator, can we use all the aps on our pc which run on our  android phones?
How can we use talkback on our pc?
what are the main spex are required to run android apps on our PC?
-
Yes, you can use all Android apps in an Android emulator.  I can't imagine any reasonably new computer having any difficulty with any Android apps running under the emulator of choice.

The above being said, discussion of how to use Android emulation itself is off-topic for the NVDA group.  If any among the membership wish to discuss this in depth, please create a topic in the Chat Subgroup.

If anyone happens to know of an existing group (whether on Groups.io or elsewhere) for Android Emulator users who are blind, please share it, as that would be the ideal and appropriate venue for pursuing these sorts of questions in depth.
--

~ Vance Packard