Browse Mode vs Focus Mode Sound

Hello All,

          I am trying to work a bit more with Browse Mode and Focus Mode, particularly in the context of an MS-Word document, which is giving me more than a bit of trouble as far as wrapping my head around what I should be doing.

          One of the first things I'm trying to determine is what mode goes with what cueing sound.  When you hit NVDA+space to switch modes, where and when you can switch them, one sound is a chime and the other is an electronic "cheep" of sorts.  Which sound indicates which mode?  I was expecting a verbal cue like "browse mode on" or "focus mode on" but that's not what I'm getting.

           Also, I have a 52-page MS-Word document that's chock full of hyperlinks.  When I'm in what I believe is browse mode and I hit NVDA+F7 I get the announcement regarding the Elements List, but no dialog box appears like it does if I'm trying the same thing in a webpage.  I thought I would be able to get a set of links showing like I do if I'm in Chrome or Firefox looking at a webpage, but instead listing all the links within the document, but the dialog box never appears even though it's announced.

           I'm using NVDA 2016.1 and Microsoft Word 2010 running on a Windows 10 Home, 64-bit machine.  Any guidance or assistance would be much appreciated.

Brian

Andre Fisher

Hi Brian.
When you first start Microsoft Word, NVDA defaults to focus mode so
that you can type text. If you press NVDA+Space, the tone you hear is
that of browse mode. This is where keys like H for heading and K for
link will work, but unless specified, other keys will not go through.
Pressing NVDA+Space will go back to focus mode, so you can type h, k,
etc. again.
If you want to hear 'browse mode' and 'focus mode' when you press the
keystroke, go to the Browse mode dialog and uncheck the Audio
indication of focus and browse mode option.
That second issue is strange. NVDA should behave properly in this
regard. You might want to ensure that you are not in protected mode,
however.

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

The chime sound you hear is for browse mode. When you hit enter on an edit box, you'll hear a typing sound. That indicates that you're in focus mode. Hope this helps.

Rosemarie

[...]

If you turn the sounds off, it will revert to spoken mode changes.I found that these were not reliable for some reason, so I put the sounds back on. The clunky sound is Focus mode, the tone is browse mode.

As for use in Word. Not really found a great deal of use for them in that program as yet.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Mallard

Hello there,

Would H and K work in LibreOffice as well in browse Mode?

It would be so convenient.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 16/04/2016 06:34, Andre Fisher ha scritto:
[...]

I can't get NVDA 2016.1 to respond to NVDA+Space to change modes in Libre Office Writer in Libre Office 5.1.  I did get the "there's an update available" notification when I started Libre this morning but it's for a minor dot update, not major version update.  I'll see if that changes anything once installed, but I doubt it.

With Office 2010 what's interesting is that if I hit NVDA+F7 to bring up the Elements List in Excel it works just fine.  The Elements dialog immediately pops up (and, helpful for me, is fully visible).  In Word 2010, all I get is the announcement, "Elements List Dialog, Tree View," with no dialog ever appearing.  Using the left or right arrow buttons to go through the element radio button choice does nothing and you get nothing announced, and the first hit of TAB gets, "Filter by, ALT+F."  This is in a document that is laden with hyperlinks and, if memory serves, that should be the element shown by default when the Elements List is invoked.  I'm doubly stuck because I don't have the visual element to be able to see what NVDA seems to be doing, it just doesn't ever show up on the screen and I know darned well that I have plenty of links in this document.

Brian

Mallard

I've updated to 5.1.2, but haven't opened it yet.

I'll check it out, but I'm afraid that function (navigation within documents) is only woking in Ms Word.

Il 16/04/2016 17:10, Brian Vogel ha scritto:

[...]

It is only available in Word unfortunately.

On 4/16/16, Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu> wrote:
[...]

         And not always in Word, either.  I wonder which version of Word was the first to have this implemented?  I've already opened a bug report for NVDA 2016.1 in combination with MS-Word 2010 with regard to the Elements List not functioning at all there.

         It seems to work just fine in Excel 2010 and not at all in Access 2010.  I've not tested Outlook or PowerPoint.

Brian