Windows live mail question

Helga Schreiber

Hi all! How are you all? Do any of you use Windows Live mail for your emails? If so, can you tell me some steps  in how  can I install  windows live mail with NVDA? I'm just owndering. I want to install windows live mail in my mom's computer and set her email account. On it! However, I don't know if that is possible to do with NVDA guys? My mom has windows 10 in her laptop computer, so I iwll use the portable copy of NVDA that i have in my drive in order to install WLM on her computer and set everything up! On my windows computer I don't have windows 10 there yet i will really appreciate it if you can help me and give me some suggestions regarding this matter! I look forward in hearing form you soon. Thanks and God bless!

Helga Schreiber

Member of National Federation of the Blind and Florida Association of Blind Students.
Phone:  (561) 706-5950
Skype: helga.schreiber26
INT Website: http://int4life.com/

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
Sent from my iPhone 6S running IOS 9.3.1

Gene

You install accounts in the typical way.  Assumedly, you are using the ribbons version of the program.
Open the menu with alt f then look through the menu for options.  Press enter.
A submenu opens.
Look through it for e-mail  or e-mail account settings or something similar.
Press enter.
Atypical e-mail account setup dialog will open.  Presumable, you are well familiar with such dialogs.  If you need more help or are not as familiar as I expect you are, ask here.

I don't know if you know this, but Ribbon programs have one menu where you find many commonly used items or submenus to such things.
The newer version of Windows Live Mail has items in the menu you used to find elsewhere.  Options is there, as I said.  And the program is organized differently in this or that other way.  For example, there is no tools ribbon.  Some things such as options that were in tools, are now in the menu.  And message rules are found in the folders ribbon.

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 12:21 AM
Subject: [nvda] Windows live mail question

[...]

From feedback I have, live mail 16 is needed,this is the one with ribbonmenus.

Would not know if there are any screens that a portable install will not access during this on windows 10, but somebody will know. If she has been an Outlook Express user, she may prefer the version of OE a third party has built which does not run on windows 10. It needs a small donation to the authors via paypal, but you get installation on three machines and support via their web forum.

I do not have the address, but I just searched for Outlook express for windows 10 and there are seemingly only two options, one is this normal version and the other is a rewrite look alike that doesnot seem to work with screenreaders.
couple of words of warning. Whatever you install, if its going to be used with any access tech, turn off the preview pane when setting up. It can make nvda do odd things.
Also if you try to install the live mal 14 version it seems to get stuck on windows 7 and later. It used to work but I think a windows update has messed it up.
If you use OE even on xp, with nvda, occasionally OE forgets how to display messages or to be able to write them. an OE restart normally fixes this one. Certainly works on xp and 7.

Happens if multiple identities are created and the preview pane is on.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Email: helga.schreiber26@gmail.com
Skype: helga.schreiber26
INT Website: http://int4life.com/

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
Sent from my iPhone 6S running IOS 9.3.1

hello helga how are you?
did you try mozilla thunderbird for emails?
its an open source program from firefox company.
i did not know that windows live mail is not compatible with newer
versions of windows.
i use windows xp and it is installed for me by default.
thanks so much and god bless you too!

On 4/16/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
From feedback I have, live mail 16 is needed,this is the one with
ribbonmenus.

[...]

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Gene

It is being used in later versions of Windows.  If the person wants to use it, it will run.

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows live mail question

hello helga how are you?
did you try mozilla thunderbird for emails?
its an open source program from firefox company.
i did not know that windows live mail is not compatible with newer
versions of windows.
i use windows xp and it is installed for me by default.
thanks so much and god bless you too!

> From feedback I have, live mail 16 is needed,this is the one with
> ribbonmenus.
>
> Would not know if there are any screens that a portable install will not
> access during this on windows 10, but somebody will know. If she has been an
>
> Outlook Express user, she may prefer the  version of OE a third party has
> built which does not run on windows 10. It needs a small donation to the
> authors via paypal, but you get installation on three machines and support
> via their web forum.
>
> I do not have the address, but I just searched for Outlook express for
> windows 10 and there are seemingly only two options, one is this normal
> version and the other is a rewrite look alike that doesnot seem to work with
>
> screenreaders.
>  couple of words of warning. Whatever you install, if its going to be used
> with any access tech, turn off the preview pane when setting up. It can make
>
> nvda  do odd things.
>  Also if you try to install the live mal 14 version it seems to get stuck on
>
> windows 7 and later. It used to work but I think a windows update has messed
>
> it up.
> If you use OE even on xp, with nvda, occasionally  OE forgets how to display
>
> messages or to be able to write them. an OE restart normally fixes this one.
>
> Certainly works on xp and 7.
>
> Happens if multiple identities are created and the preview pane is on.
>  Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Windows Live Mail, along with Thunderbird, are the two most screen-reader friendly no-cost e-mail clients that I've worked with in recent years.

I have no problem with WLM 2012 with NVDA nor with JAWS, and I never turn the preview pane off for two reasons:  it's on by default and if you do want someone sighted either to help you or just to take a look at something it's very convenient.

If your mother is not already familiar with a specific e-mail client I'd suggest Windows Live Mail 2012.  There is really no purpose in using the older versions of the program for someone who's got to learn from scratch to begin with.  The ribbon system is here to stay and it's putting off the inevitable to try to avoid it.  Do not use Outlook Express, even if you can get a hacked copy.

Not Helga, but be assured Thunderbird does work very well under Windows 10.

On 16 Apr 2016, at 16:15, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:

hello helga how are you?
did you try mozilla thunderbird for emails?
its an open source program from firefox company.
i did not know that windows live mail is not compatible with newer
versions of windows.
i use windows xp and it is installed for me by default.
thanks so much and god bless you too!

On 4/16/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
From feedback I have, live mail 16 is needed,this is the one with
ribbonmenus.

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

I just installed windows live mail but I do have a question. How do you get NVDA to see the message body? I have to hit alt M and enter for NVDA to see the message body.

Thanks.

Rosemarie

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 10:43 AM

Windows Live Mail, along with Thunderbird, are the two most screen-reader friendly no-cost e-mail clients that I've worked with in recent years.

I have no problem with WLM 2012 with NVDA nor with JAWS, and I never turn the preview pane off for two reasons:  it's on by default and if you do want someone sighted either to help you or just to take a look at something it's very convenient.

If your mother is not already familiar with a specific e-mail client I'd suggest Windows Live Mail 2012.  There is really no purpose in using the older versions of the program for someone who's got to learn from scratch to begin with.  The ribbon system is here to stay and it's putting off the inevitable to try to avoid it.  Do not use Outlook Express, even if you can get a hacked copy.

I never use alt m and I don't know what that command does.  If you are reading mail as plain text using the ribbon version of Windows Live Mail and NVDA, simply opening the message by pressing enter won't allow you to read the message in the usual way.  I don't know what the case is with other screen-readers.  Using the preview pane does allow you to read it in the usual way.  In other words, in the message list, move to a message you want to read.  If the preview pane is on, as it is by default, tab once to be in the preview pane.  Issue the read to end command and the message will be read.  Once finished, either shift tab once or tab twice to get back to the message list.  Then do whatever you want, delete the message or move to another message or anything you want to do in the program.

While I think the preview pane should be off if you read all mail as html, if you read mail as plain text, there is no security risk having the preview pane on.
When reading mail as html, you don't have to use the preview pane.  You can simply press enter to read the message so you can conveniently have it off.

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 10:43 AM

Windows Live Mail, along with Thunderbird, are the two most screen-reader friendly no-cost e-mail clients that I've worked with in recent years.

I have no problem with WLM 2012 with NVDA nor with JAWS, and I never turn the preview pane off for two reasons:  it's on by default and if you do want someone sighted either to help you or just to take a look at something it's very convenient.

If your mother is not already familiar with a specific e-mail client I'd suggest Windows Live Mail 2012.  There is really no purpose in using the older versions of the program for someone who's got to learn from scratch to begin with.  The ribbon system is here to stay and it's putting off the inevitable to try to avoid it.  Do not use Outlook Express, even if you can get a hacked copy.

Brian

Rosemarie,

           You were having this problem before and it is inexplicable to me.  When I open Windows Live Mail 2012 on my machine and I'm in my inbox message list all I have to do is either TAB to jump to the preview pane to see the message or hit ENTER while on the message to have it open in its own Window.

           Reading e-mail as plain text is fine if you want to do so, but it is not necessary for security reasons.  Patches to prevent execution of code via HTML e-mail were put into place in contemporary e-mail clients many years ago.  This is one of those practices that, while once valuable, is really not so any more.

           I can't figure out where you'd even use ALT+M, because that's not a command in the reading side of WLM 2012.

           There are commands under ALT+M, the Message Ribbon, when you're replying (or composing a new message), but when I reply I am immediately thrown into the edit box for the message box at the outset and can just type my message.  If I am composing a new message I am thrown into the To: field when the window opens up, after filling that in TAB takes me to Subject, and after filling that in TAB takes me to the message body.  This is the behavior I've always observed on client computers as well.  NVDA just follows right along with where the system cursor has landed each and every time.

Brian

Rosemarie Chavarria

Excuse me but I’m not the only one who had this problem. I had a sighted nephew work with windows live mail and he even said that NVDA didn’t see the message body. As far as seeing the message in the preview pane, I do have that turned off and I can hit enter to automatically read a message. I’m sure other people on the list had similar problems with NVDA and windows live mail. I’m wondering if you did a mouse click for NVDA to see the message body. I’m not trying to argue with you—just wondering why I have to hit alt M and enter to type a message or reply to one.

Rosemarie

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 12:35 PM

[...]

          I have no idea why you feel the need to get into dudgeon when I say that, in my experience, you're the only person I know or have known with a specific problem.  That simply is what it is.  It's not an accusation and you need to stop behaving as though it were one.

          I cannot explain why you are having the issue you're having and have said so.  I used Windows Keyboard Shortcuts while NVDA was running to open messages for reading, replying, and composition.  The behavior I describe is for that circumstance, since I know that adding the mouse to the mix can, at times, cause things to behave differently.

First, a correction.  I made a mistake in my last message.  You can read mail in plain text using NVDA and Windows Live Mail without using the view pane.  You can just open the message and read it, as expected.  I was thinking of System Access, which doesn't read plain text mail in the ribbon version of the program unless you read it in the view pane.

Now, to the alt enter question.

As you said in your current message, you don't have to use alt m to read a message.  You can press enter on the message and read it.  You said you have to use alt m to type a message or reply to one.  I don't think that alt m has anything to do with the problem.  I think that anything you do that leaves the message body and then you return to it when you are either composing a new message or replying to one, allows you to see what you are typing.  Or perhaps you have to do this in order to be able to place text in a message, I don't know.  I don't use Windows 10 and I can't experiment with the problem because it doesn't occur with earlier Windows versions.  Instead of pressing alt m, pressing alt twice should accomplish the same thing because it takes you out of the message you are writing or replying to and returns you to it.  My guess is that anything that moves you out of the message editing area and returns you to it will do the same thing.

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 4:58 PM

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 12:35 PM

[...]

Hi, Gene,

I didn’t know system access doesn’t read messages in plain text. As far as composing or replying to a message, hitting alt twice does accomplish the same thing.

Rosemarie

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 4:58 PM

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 12:35 PM

[...]

I was just explaining what happens but now I think I found a solution thanks to Gene. I’ll hit the alt key twice. That’s what I’m doing now and it’s working. I won’t say anything more.

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 3:37 PM

Rosemarie,

          I have no idea why you feel the need to get into dudgeon when I say that, in my experience, you're the only person I know or have known with a specific problem.  That simply is what it is.  It's not an accusation and you need to stop behaving as though it were one.

          I cannot explain why you are having the issue you're having and have said so.  I used Windows Keyboard Shortcuts while NVDA was running to open messages for reading, replying, and composition.  The behavior I describe is for that circumstance, since I know that adding the mouse to the mix can, at times, cause things to behave differently.

Brian

Rosemarie Chavarria

I wasn’t trying to accuse you of not understanding. I was just explaining the situation but I think I found a solution. I’ll hit the alt key twice when I compose or reply to a message. It’s working.

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 3:37 PM

Rosemarie,

          I have no idea why you feel the need to get into dudgeon when I say that, in my experience, you're the only person I know or have known with a specific problem.  That simply is what it is.  It's not an accusation and you need to stop behaving as though it were one.

          I cannot explain why you are having the issue you're having and have said so.  I used Windows Keyboard Shortcuts while NVDA was running to open messages for reading, replying, and composition.  The behavior I describe is for that circumstance, since I know that adding the mouse to the mix can, at times, cause things to behave differently.

Brian

Pauline Smith

I thought I read from this list that Windows Live Mail had accessibility issues.  Am I remembering right?  I have not been successful in using it with Win7 on the one or two attempts I tried.

Pauline

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 3:37 PM

Rosemarie,

          I have no idea why you feel the need to get into dudgeon when I say that, in my experience, you're the only person I know or have known with a specific problem.  That simply is what it is.  It's not an accusation and you need to stop behaving as though it were one.

          I cannot explain why you are having the issue you're having and have said so.  I used Windows Keyboard Shortcuts while NVDA was running to open messages for reading, replying, and composition.  The behavior I describe is for that circumstance, since I know that adding the mouse to the mix can, at times, cause things to behave differently.

Brian

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Pauline,

Windows live mail worked well for me when I had windows 7. It was when I upgraded to windows 10 when I started having issues with it. I waited awhile before trying it again. For some strange reason, NVDA doesn’t see the message body when you try to reply to a message. You’re taken to the “to” field. I have to either hit the alt key twice or hit alt M and enter to see the message body.

Rosemarie

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 8:47 PM

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 3:37 PM

Rosemarie,

          I have no idea why you feel the need to get into dudgeon when I say that, in my experience, you're the only person I know or have known with a specific problem.  That simply is what it is.  It's not an accusation and you need to stop behaving as though it were one.

          I cannot explain why you are having the issue you're having and have said so.  I used Windows Keyboard Shortcuts while NVDA was running to open messages for reading, replying, and composition.  The behavior I describe is for that circumstance, since I know that adding the mouse to the mix can, at times, cause things to behave differently.

Windows Live Mail has annoyances such as that you can't use first letter navigation to move from folder to folder but the program is very accessible.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 10:47 PM