Why is installing an addon on firefox such a nightmare!

Ali Colak

Or am I doing something wrong.
Hello to all. Last night I tried to reinstall webvisum, as I have
just baught a new computer. When ever I press the install link, the
notifaction to allow firefox to install the addon comes. I've tried
pressing alt+a several times, and I've tried pressing the space bar or
enter when it seems that I'm on the allow button, nothing works.
I don't remember seeing any other complaints about this from anyone,
so is it only me getting something so basic wrong?

Any suggestions?
Ali

Ali Colak

Added to my previous message, I've encountered this problem
previously and it isn't something rescent. Previously I just asked
someone sited to click the button for me.

On 4/16/16, Ali Colak <alish54@gmail.com> wrote:
Or am I doing something wrong.
Hello to all. Last night I tried to reinstall webvisum, as I have
just baught a new computer. When ever I press the install link, the
notifaction to allow firefox to install the addon comes. I've tried
pressing alt+a several times, and I've tried pressing the space bar or
enter when it seems that I'm on the allow button, nothing works.
I don't remember seeing any other complaints about this from anyone,
so is it only me getting something so basic wrong?

Any suggestions?
Ali

Robert Mendoza

If you are using newer version of a Firefox it will not allow to install the said addons. From the time Firefox update to 43 and newer that there is some security features being added into it. I would suggest to use an old version to get it and successful installation from your end. But, there is an option in order to accept it but its is quite not secure and it will void the security if you made some modification in the setup of firefox. I believe somewhere here also, mentioned here the steps for it.

Robert Mendoza

On 4/16/2016 6:40 PM, Ali Colak wrote:
Added to my previous message, I've encountered this problem
previously and it isn't something rescent. Previously I just asked
someone sited to click the button for me.

On 4/16/16, Ali Colak <alish54@gmail.com> wrote:
Or am I doing something wrong.
Hello to all. Last night I tried to reinstall webvisum, as I have
just baught a new computer. When ever I press the install link, the
notifaction to allow firefox to install the addon comes. I've tried
pressing alt+a several times, and I've tried pressing the space bar or
enter when it seems that I'm on the allow button, nothing works.
I don't remember seeing any other complaints about this from anyone,
so is it only me getting something so basic wrong?

Any suggestions?
Ali

Chris

because its not a approved firefox extension firefox by default blocks such extensions from other websites
you can get around this by editing your about;config settings
and disableing strict compatibility

but i didnt tell you that if it all goes to hell in a hand cart

good luck

On 16/04/2016 11:50, Robert Mendoza wrote:
[...]

I see.

On 4/16/16, Chris <chrismedley@btinternet.com> wrote:
[...]

Gene

There is a signed version of Webvisum that will work with the current version of Firefox.  I don't have the address for downloading it but it went through the signing procedure by James Scholes, (spelling) and he is a trusted person.  So the file is safe to use and has not been laced with malware.  You can read about it on the blind bargains site.  And information about the download link and how to install it is given there as well.

because its not a approved firefox extension firefox by default blocks
such extensions from other websites
you can get around this by editing your about;config settings
and disableing strict compatibility

but i didnt tell you that if it all goes to hell in a hand cart

good luck

On 16/04/2016 11:50, Robert Mendoza wrote:
> If you are using newer version of a Firefox it will not allow to
> install the said addons. From the time Firefox update to 43 and newer
> that there is some security features being added into it. I would
> suggest to use an old version to get it and successful installation
> from your end. But, there is an option in order to accept it but its
> is quite not secure and it will void the security if you made some
> modification in the setup of firefox. I believe somewhere here also,
> mentioned here the steps for it.
>
> Robert Mendoza
>
> On 4/16/2016 6:40 PM, Ali Colak wrote:
>>    Added to my previous message, I've encountered this problem
>> previously and it isn't something rescent. Previously I just asked
>> someone sited to click the button for me.
>>
>> On 4/16/16, Ali Colak <alish54@...> wrote:
>>>    Or am I doing something wrong.
>>>    Hello to all. Last night I tried to reinstall webvisum, as I have
>>> just baught a new computer. When ever I press the install link, the
>>> notifaction to allow firefox to install the addon comes. I've tried
>>> pressing alt+a several times, and I've tried pressing the space bar or
>>> enter when it seems that I'm on the allow button, nothing works.
>>>    I don't remember seeing any other complaints about this from anyone,
>>> so is it only me getting something so basic wrong?
>>>
>>>    Any suggestions?
>>>    Ali

Gene

Here is the page where you can read about the signed Webvisum add on.

gene
There is a signed version of Webvisum that will work with the current version of Firefox.  I don't have the address for downloading it but it went through the signing procedure by James Scholes, (spelling) and he is a trusted person.  So the file is safe to use and has not been laced with malware.  You can read about it on the blind bargains site.  And information about the download link and how to install it is given there as well.

because its not a approved firefox extension firefox by default blocks
such extensions from other websites
you can get around this by editing your about;config settings
and disableing strict compatibility

but i didnt tell you that if it all goes to hell in a hand cart

good luck

On 16/04/2016 11:50, Robert Mendoza wrote:
> If you are using newer version of a Firefox it will not allow to
> install the said addons. From the time Firefox update to 43 and newer
> that there is some security features being added into it. I would
> suggest to use an old version to get it and successful installation
> from your end. But, there is an option in order to accept it but its
> is quite not secure and it will void the security if you made some
> modification in the setup of firefox. I believe somewhere here also,
> mentioned here the steps for it.
>
> Robert Mendoza
>
> On 4/16/2016 6:40 PM, Ali Colak wrote:
>>    Added to my previous message, I've encountered this problem
>> previously and it isn't something rescent. Previously I just asked
>> someone sited to click the button for me.
>>
>> On 4/16/16, Ali Colak <alish54@...> wrote:
>>>    Or am I doing something wrong.
>>>    Hello to all. Last night I tried to reinstall webvisum, as I have
>>> just baught a new computer. When ever I press the install link, the
>>> notifaction to allow firefox to install the addon comes. I've tried
>>> pressing alt+a several times, and I've tried pressing the space bar or
>>> enter when it seems that I'm on the allow button, nothing works.
>>>    I don't remember seeing any other complaints about this from anyone,
>>> so is it only me getting something so basic wrong?
>>>
>>>    Any suggestions?
>>>    Ali

Gene

I'll also point out that the instructions for opening the add ons interface in firefox are incorrect, should you need to do so.  The instructions on the site say to use alt t then press enter.  That is wrong and people who write instructions especially for publication should try them to make sure they work as described in case their memory is incorrect or they made a mistake they are not aware of.  You use alt t then you type a to get to add ons.  You don't press enter at any time.  You are now in the add ons interface.

Here is the page where you can read about the signed Webvisum add on.

gene
There is a signed version of Webvisum that will work with the current version of Firefox.  I don't have the address for downloading it but it went through the signing procedure by James Scholes, (spelling) and he is a trusted person.  So the file is safe to use and has not been laced with malware.  You can read about it on the blind bargains site.  And information about the download link and how to install it is given there as well.

because its not a approved firefox extension firefox by default blocks
such extensions from other websites
you can get around this by editing your about;config settings
and disableing strict compatibility

but i didnt tell you that if it all goes to hell in a hand cart

good luck

On 16/04/2016 11:50, Robert Mendoza wrote:
> If you are using newer version of a Firefox it will not allow to
> install the said addons. From the time Firefox update to 43 and newer
> that there is some security features being added into it. I would
> suggest to use an old version to get it and successful installation
> from your end. But, there is an option in order to accept it but its
> is quite not secure and it will void the security if you made some
> modification in the setup of firefox. I believe somewhere here also,
> mentioned here the steps for it.
>
> Robert Mendoza
>
> On 4/16/2016 6:40 PM, Ali Colak wrote:
>>    Added to my previous message, I've encountered this problem
>> previously and it isn't something rescent. Previously I just asked
>> someone sited to click the button for me.
>>
>> On 4/16/16, Ali Colak <alish54@...> wrote:
>>>    Or am I doing something wrong.
>>>    Hello to all. Last night I tried to reinstall webvisum, as I have
>>> just baught a new computer. When ever I press the install link, the
>>> notifaction to allow firefox to install the addon comes. I've tried
>>> pressing alt+a several times, and I've tried pressing the space bar or
>>> enter when it seems that I'm on the allow button, nothing works.
>>>    I don't remember seeing any other complaints about this from anyone,
>>> so is it only me getting something so basic wrong?
>>>
>>>    Any suggestions?
>>>    Ali

Ejaz Shah

There is a signed version of webvisum. I just installed it on the latest Firefox. Details here:
http://blindbargains.com/bargains.php?m=15142

On 4/16/2016 4:44 PM, Ali Colak wrote:
[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

They just signed Webvisum. You can get the usable version at:

http://www.blindbargains.com/bargains.php?m=15142

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I am given to believe that this add on is not approved any more, either use an older version of the Firefox program, or you have to hack about in the advanced settings to turn off approval certification.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Hello to all. Last night I tried to reinstall webvisum, as I have
just baught a new computer. When ever I press the install link, the
notifaction to allow firefox to install the addon comes. I've tried
pressing alt+a several times, and I've tried pressing the space bar or
enter when it seems that I'm on the allow button, nothing works.
I don't remember seeing any other complaints about this from anyone,
so is it only me getting something so basic wrong?

Any suggestions?
Ali

hi.
someone told me that in the address bar type about:config.
in the list, search and find xpinstall.signatures.required press enter
to deactivate it.
i read firefox new versions and release note and this problem happened
in firefox since version 41.
hope that help.
thank for your question and god bless you.

On 4/16/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Gene

As a temporary solution, you can do this.  As you will see, it is only temporary.
•Firefox 43: Firefox has a preference that allows signature enforcement to be disabled (xpinstall.signatures.required in about:config). •Firefox 47: (Pushed from Firefox 46). Release and Beta versions of Firefox for Desktop will not allow unsigned extensions to be installed, with no override.

It wouldn't make sense for Mozilla to have a security requirement of this type and give a way to disable it.

Gene
someone told me that in the address bar type about:config.
in the list, search and find xpinstall.signatures.required press enter
to deactivate it.
i read firefox new versions and release note and this problem happened
in firefox since version 41.
hope that help.
thank for your question and god bless you.

> I am given to believe that this add on is not approved any more, either use
>
> an older version of the Firefox program, or you have to hack about in the
> advanced settings to turn off approval certification.
>  Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

but i heard that it work well not temporary.

From https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing
[...]

Nasrin,

           Gene is correct.  Additional security measures are often implemented with a period of transition where they can be disabled to give developers who are not proactive (and the users of their products) time to get things ready for firm enforcement.

            All add-ons will require digital signature in the not too distant future.  Any unsigned add-ons that are currently functioning in the latest version of Firefox are doing so because tweaks have been made by the user to the "deep" browser settings to override the digital signature requirement.  You will not be able to make that override in perpetuity.

            It makes no sense whatsoever to leave gaping security loopholes because "it's easier" for developers and end-users who don't want to keep up with threats that have been identified to make additional security necessary.  Certain developers simply stop working on things for other reasons, too, and it's quite clear that WebVisum is dead in the long term.  The digital signing done on the work-around version is just that, a work-around, but no one's keeping anything up on the back end which is necessary for ongoing viability.

Almost every time I see a statement on technology lists I follow preceedded with the words I heard or something similar, the statement is either wrong or very misleading.  I quoted and linked to the source I got the information from,  a Firefox document that is part of a Wiki by Mozilla.  I see no reason to question its accuracy.  It appears to come from the developers.

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:18 AM

On 4/16/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> As a temporary solution, you can do this.  As you will see, it is only
> temporary.
> From https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing
> •Firefox 43: Firefox has a preference that allows signature enforcement to
> be disabled (xpinstall.signatures.required in about:config). •Firefox 47:
> (Pushed from Firefox 46). Release and Beta versions of Firefox for Desktop
> will not allow unsigned extensions to be installed, with no override.
>
> It wouldn't make sense for Mozilla to have a security requirement of this
> type and give a way to disable it.
>
> Gene

Kevin Chao

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:18 AM

On 4/16/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> As a temporary solution, you can do this.  As you will see, it is only
> temporary.
> From https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing
> •Firefox 43: Firefox has a preference that allows signature enforcement to
> be disabled (xpinstall.signatures.required in about:config). •Firefox 47:
> (Pushed from Firefox 46). Release and Beta versions of Firefox for Desktop
> will not allow unsigned extensions to be installed, with no override.
>
> It wouldn't make sense for Mozilla to have a security requirement of this
> type and give a way to disable it.
>
> Gene

Thanks to all who've replied. I originally downloaded a portable
coppy of Mozilla on to a thumb drive, than added web visum to that
and it worked. Then I saw the e-mails about the signed version of web
visum onto my actually computer, and that's what I'll be using from
now on.

Thanks again

Webvisum CAPTCHA Solver returns to Firefox

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 11:19 AM Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

[...]

hi again.
what happen for not signed addons in future versions of firefox and
what do people should do if they want to upgreat to the newer version
of firefox?
and since which version of firefox this happen?

On 4/17/16, Ali Colak <alish54@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Prior to the release of verssion 43 in Firefox, the mozilla firefox team announce a strict compliance that all the addons and extensions should be reviewed and signed with them in order to meet the qualification of the security features being added on the later version of Firefox browser. However, there are some steps or modification in the setup of the mentioned browser in which will void the security features but again, this could be prevalent to installing malware or unwanted toolbars from your browsers that can cause of risk that may cause your browser performance or potential threats as well of your machine. In addition, the below link that was being discussed here earlier is the alternative work around in order to use the full function of the new version of Firefox as long as you have a valid credentials to use webvism.

Robert Mendoza