installation failure

marvin kotler

Good morning list; this is Marv here.  First, I am using a laptop which is new to me, sort of.  It is running the latest version of nvda  and windows vista, I believe.  I am having a problem with nvda  not installing; I also cannot get the screen reading shark to install, either.  If anyone has any suggestions that I might try, I would like to hear them; cheers and thanks in advance.

Gene

Your problem may be caused by UAC.  I believe the command in Vista to allow changes to be made when UAC asks is to use the command alt c.  That is not the command used in later versions of Windows.  Run Narrator and then try installing JAWS and NVDA to see what you hear.  I believe you will hear the UAC dialog and I would expect you will hear, or can tab around to find, the correct command and it's short cut. 

Also, I saw here recently that NVDA cannot be installed on Vista unlessI believe it's service pack 3 for Vista is running.  but I know nothing about that except what I saw in a message from one list member.  Whatever the case, if you run narrator first, you should be able to get information about how to continue installations.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 7:42 AM
Subject: [nvda] installation failure

Good morning list; this is Marv here.  First, I am using a laptop which is new to me, sort of.  It is running the latest version of nvda  and windows vista, I believe.  I am having a problem with nvda  not installing; I also cannot get the screen reading shark to install, either.  If anyone has any suggestions that I might try, I would like to hear them; cheers and thanks in advance.

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

That sounds to me like a missing or corrupt video driver.  As a temporary workaround, you could run the NVDA installer and make a portable instalation.  Then use the portable instalation to check the status of your drivers and once that's fixed you could re-install a local copy.

Best,

Erik Burggraaf

On Apr 16, 2016, at 8:42 AM, marvin kotler <m.kotler53@...> wrote:

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

What service pack does that machine have? I seem to recall like on XP certain older installations of it have compatibility issues. You need to install the latest service pack I believe. Luckily I never did bother with Vista myself so never encountered this, but I had to use sp3 on XP.
 Brian

bglists@... 
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 1:42 PM
Subject: [nvda] installation failure

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It would show if its the service pack or not as well of course. if it won't run when run from the folder you put it in then you have a service pack issue.
 Brian

bglists@... 
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] installation failure

That sounds to me like a missing or corrupt video driver.  As a temporary workaround, you could run the NVDA installer and make a portable instalation.  Then use the portable instalation to check the status of your drivers and once that's fixed you could re-install a local copy.

Best,

Erik Burggraaf

On Apr 16, 2016, at 8:42 AM, marvin kotler <m.kotler53@...> wrote: