Welcome to NVDA 2018: part 9 (add-ons) posted,completepackages for parts 6 and 7 (provisional)

mattias

NVDA as a windows store app?!

cool

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

Från: Joseph Lee
Skickat: den 28 januari 2018 04:24
Till: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Ämne: Re: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: part 9 (add-ons) posted,completepackages for parts 6 and 7 (provisional)

Hi,

At the moment there are two planned: NVDA and Windows 10 on ARM, and NVDA as a Windows Store app. There won’t be demos, but they’ll include information people will need to know as they encounter NVDA in those situations. One of them ties into what’s coming in NVDA 2018.1, the other is from 2017.4.

Specifically:

• NVDA and Windows 10 on ARM will talk about ARM processors, concept of emulation, why this development is important, and performance considerations.
  • NVDA as a Windows Store app will discuss how classic desktop apps are converted, advantages and limitations and so on.

Additional sections upon request… or maybe not. I’ll elaborate in February.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of kavein thran
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: part 9 (add-ons) posted, completepackages for parts 6 and 7 (provisional)

Hi Joseph, thanks for all the good works you’ve done. Really appreciate it so much.

What are the next addendums?

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 Jan 2018, at 7:59 AM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

Hi Joseph!

Same goes with me. You will help so many, because I will recommend your tutorials on many Facebook groups, and so many people I know who are interested to have NVDA be at least their back-up screen reader.

I will really listen to all of this myself to prepare myself for certification.

Thank you for all of your time and effort to put these tutorials together in such a understandable way!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2018 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: part 9 (add-ons) posted, completepackages for parts 6 and 7 (provisional)

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together.  I am planning to get a hold of this and keep it around for anyone who might be interested.  I will give all of this a listen as I think It will give me a better understanding on how this all works and will help me in teaching others who might need help.

Thank you again,.

On Jan 27, 2018, at 1:46 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen,

I’m delighted to announce the completion of component-based version of Welcome to NVDA 2018 tutorial set! I’ll explain what I just said in just a moment.

Before I go any further, I’d like to take a moment to thank everyone for your continued support and encouragement. The last six weeks have been a challenging yet fun period. In the midst of adjusting to new semester schedule (at Cal State Los Angeles), attending speech and debate competitions, going over add-ons and dealing with NVDA translation issues, I always looked forward to today’s milestone. There are a couple things to be done (including minor edits), but for all intents and purposes, you can now use the 2018 edition of my tutorial set as a handy reference and a teaching tool when training new NVDA users.

Today’s milestone means:

·         Component-based tutorial set: as promised last year, each segment are separate mp3 files. As of today, all nine sections in the main tutorial set are done. There might be changes in February once NVDA 2018.1 nears completion (if a message changes (especially in NVDA preferences, edits will be done).

·         Usage: as a free tutorial set, anyone is welcome to use the tutorial however they wish (including possible text transcriptions, converting them into a DAISY book, citing in other tutorials, etc.).

Speaking of sections: the ninth (and for now, final) section of welcome to NVDA 2018 is now available. This section has gone one of the most extensive edits, as it talks about NVDA add-ons. As always, the section (and components) can be found at www.josephsl.net/tutorials.

Also, complete packages for parts 6 and 7 (both concerning NVDA preferences) are now available:

·         Welcome to NVDA 2018 part 6A (preferences overview, general settings, synthesizer and supported synthesizers, voice settings and synth settings ring): http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/6/nvda_tutorial_6a.mp3

·         Welcome to NVDA 2018 part 6B (braille settings and supported braille displays, keyboard settings, mouse settings, touch interaction, saving and restoring from saved settings): http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/6/nvda_tutorial_6b.mp3

·         Welcome to NVDA 2018 part 7A (review cursor, input composition settings, object presentation, browse mode): http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/7/nvda_tutorial_7a.mp3

·         Welcome to NVDA 2018 part 7B (document formatting, Windows 10 OCR, speech dictionaries, punctuation/symbol pronunciation, input gestures, restoring to factory defaults): http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/7/nvda_tutorial_7b.mp3

Note that complete packages for parts 8 and 9 aren’t up yet. They will go up along with addenda soon. Once features for NVDA 2018.1 are frozen (early February), a zip file containing complete packages, addenda, and an overall introduction and changelog (part 0) will be posted, marking the end of this project. This also means the 2015 edition will be removed from the website. Stay tuned as I’ll also be making an announcement regarding this tutorial set and others.

Now for the fun part:

Changelog for part 9 (NVDA add-ons) from 2015:

·         Completely redone.

·         In add-ons manager segment, added steps on how to enable or disable individual add-ons.

·         Features new and updated add-ons (some prominent, others subtle): GoldWave (updated and used to demonstrate disabling individual add-ons), Systray List (updated), Resource Monitor (updated), DictationBridge (new), Golden Cursor (new), Remote Support (new), Windows 10 App Essentials (new), SentenceNav (new and used during introduction to community add-ons website).

·         GoldWave: the effects of disabling and enabling individual add-ons are demonstrated.

·         SentenceNav: brief demonstration while reading add-ons website content.

·         Systray List: no major changes except for user interface.

·         Resource Monitor: added coverage of system uptime (NVDA+Shift+7) and clarified Windows 10 release announcements for Windows version information (NVDA+Shift+6).

·         Remote Support: basics, including controlling remote computer, muting remote speech, sending clipboard data and add-on options are covered (did not cover remote braille and secure screen considerations due to time constraints).

·         Golden Cursor: covers mouse manipulation via keyboard, mouse arrows, jumping to, saving, and viewing saved mouse positions, changing mouse movement unit, toggling mouse movement restrictions, add-on options.

·         DictationBridge: basic dictation, clicking controls, key presses, installing NVDA commands for Windows Speech Recognition, performing NVDA commands via voice.

·         Windows 10 App Essentials: updating add-on, emoji panel, Skype universal app.

·         Final remarks: links to NVDA users list, GitHub, and NV Access websites are provided, along with information on NVDACon.

·         It will take almost two hours to traverse all segments.

Last minute changes on other sections:

·         Part 1 (introduction) has seen file renames to better reflect file content.

·         Tutorial version is now 2018.1 with 2017.4 features included.

·         Introduction for part 6 (NVDA Preferences I) has been updated to say that first half of preferences will cover touch interaction.

Overall tutorial set statistics:

·         Total duration: slightly more than 13 hours (minus upcoming addenda).

·         Average duration per section: almost 90 minutes.

·         Average segment duration: 7 minutes.

·         Shortest section: part 1 (Introduction).

·         Longest section: part 4 (NVDA and the web).

·         Longest thematic section: NVDA preferences (parts 6 and 7, which combined runs for over three hours).

Up next:

·         Complete packages for parts 8 and 9 will be published, with part 9 divided into two parts. These will go up next week.

·         Addenda: two addendum recordings are planned and will go up soon.

·         The “real” complete package (a zip file) along with part 0 (changelog) will be published once NVDA 2018.1 feature set is frozen in February (for resident translators, this means shortly after start of translatable string freeze).

·         The 2015 edition of Welcome to NVDA will be removed.

Thank you and enjoy the tutorial set.

Cheers,

Joseph

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!

I have read a couple of times now about NVDA becoming a Windows Store app in Windows 10.

However, speaking on behalf of those who don’t have Windows 10, I hope the good old-fashioned desktop NVDA program won’t be going away any time tsoon. I know that means the developers might have two NVDA’s to work on, but it may be quite a long time before every NVDA user has a Windows 10 computer, so here’s hoping the NVDA we all use now will stick around for a good while.

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of mattias
Sent: dimanche 28 janvier 2018 19:17
Subject: Re: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: part 9 (add-ons) posted,completepackages for parts 6 and 7 (provisional)

cool

Ämne: Re: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: part 9 (add-ons) posted,completepackages for parts 6 and 7 (provisional)

Hi,

At the moment there are two planned: NVDA and Windows 10 on ARM, and NVDA as a Windows Store app. There won’t be demos, but they’ll include information people will need to know as they encounter NVDA in those situations. One of them ties into what’s coming in NVDA 2018.1, the other is from 2017.4.

Specifically:

• NVDA and Windows 10 on ARM will talk about ARM processors, concept of emulation, why this development is important, and performance considerations.
  • NVDA as a Windows Store app will discuss how classic desktop apps are converted, advantages and limitations and so on.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of kavein thran

Hi Joseph, thanks for all the good works you’ve done. Really appreciate it so much.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Joseph!

Same goes with me. You will help so many, because I will recommend your tutorials on many Facebook groups, and so many people I know who are interested to have NVDA be at least their back-up screen reader.

Thank you for all of your time and effort to put these tutorials together in such a understandable way!

David Moore

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together.  I am planning to get a hold of this and keep it around for anyone who might be interested.  I will give all of this a listen as I think It will give me a better understanding on how this all works and will help me in teaching others who might need help.

Thank you again,.

Ladies and gentlemen,

I’m delighted to announce the completion of component-based version of Welcome to NVDA 2018 tutorial set! I’ll explain what I just said in just a moment.

Before I go any further, I’d like to take a moment to thank everyone for your continued support and encouragement. The last six weeks have been a challenging yet fun period. In the midst of adjusting to new semester schedule (at Cal State Los Angeles), attending speech and debate competitions, going over add-ons and dealing with NVDA translation issues, I always looked forward to today’s milestone. There are a couple things to be done (including minor edits), but for all intents and purposes, you can now use the 2018 edition of my tutorial set as a handy reference and a teaching tool when training new NVDA users.

Today’s milestone means:

·         Component-based tutorial set: as promised last year, each segment are separate mp3 files. As of today, all nine sections in the main tutorial set are done. There might be changes in February once NVDA 2018.1 nears completion (if a message changes (especially in NVDA preferences, edits will be done).

·         Usage: as a free tutorial set, anyone is welcome to use the tutorial however they wish (including possible text transcriptions, converting them into a DAISY book, citing in other tutorials, etc.).

Speaking of sections: the ninth (and for now, final) section of welcome to NVDA 2018 is now available. This section has gone one of the most extensive edits, as it talks about NVDA add-ons. As always, the section (and components) can be found at www.josephsl.net/tutorials.

Also, complete packages for parts 6 and 7 (both concerning NVDA preferences) are now available:

·         Welcome to NVDA 2018 part 6A (preferences overview, general settings, synthesizer and supported synthesizers, voice settings and synth settings ring): http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/6/nvda_tutorial_6a.mp3

·         Welcome to NVDA 2018 part 6B (braille settings and supported braille displays, keyboard settings, mouse settings, touch interaction, saving and restoring from saved settings): http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/6/nvda_tutorial_6b.mp3

·         Welcome to NVDA 2018 part 7A (review cursor, input composition settings, object presentation, browse mode): http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/7/nvda_tutorial_7a.mp3

·         Welcome to NVDA 2018 part 7B (document formatting, Windows 10 OCR, speech dictionaries, punctuation/symbol pronunciation, input gestures, restoring to factory defaults): http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/7/nvda_tutorial_7b.mp3

Note that complete packages for parts 8 and 9 aren’t up yet. They will go up along with addenda soon. Once features for NVDA 2018.1 are frozen (early February), a zip file containing complete packages, addenda, and an overall introduction and changelog (part 0) will be posted, marking the end of this project. This also means the 2015 edition will be removed from the website. Stay tuned as I’ll also be making an announcement regarding this tutorial set and others.

Now for the fun part:

·         In add-ons manager segment, added steps on how to enable or disable individual add-ons.

·         Features new and updated add-ons (some prominent, others subtle): GoldWave (updated and used to demonstrate disabling individual add-ons), Systray List (updated), Resource Monitor (updated), DictationBridge (new), Golden Cursor (new), Remote Support (new), Windows 10 App Essentials (new), SentenceNav (new and used during introduction to community add-ons website).

·         GoldWave: the effects of disabling and enabling individual add-ons are demonstrated.

·         SentenceNav: brief demonstration while reading add-ons website content.

·         Resource Monitor: added coverage of system uptime (NVDA+Shift+7) and clarified Windows 10 release announcements for Windows version information (NVDA+Shift+6).

·         Remote Support: basics, including controlling remote computer, muting remote speech, sending clipboard data and add-on options are covered (did not cover remote braille and secure screen considerations due to time constraints).

·         Golden Cursor: covers mouse manipulation via keyboard, mouse arrows, jumping to, saving, and viewing saved mouse positions, changing mouse movement unit, toggling mouse movement restrictions, add-on options.

·         DictationBridge: basic dictation, clicking controls, key presses, installing NVDA commands for Windows Speech Recognition, performing NVDA commands via voice.

·         Windows 10 App Essentials: updating add-on, emoji panel, Skype universal app.

·         Final remarks: links to NVDA users list, GitHub, and NV Access websites are provided, along with information on NVDACon.

·         Part 1 (introduction) has seen file renames to better reflect file content.

·         Introduction for part 6 (NVDA Preferences I) has been updated to say that first half of preferences will cover touch interaction.

·         Longest thematic section: NVDA preferences (parts 6 and 7, which combined runs for over three hours).

Up next:

·         Complete packages for parts 8 and 9 will be published, with part 9 divided into two parts. These will go up next week.

·         The “real” complete package (a zip file) along with part 0 (changelog) will be published once NVDA 2018.1 feature set is frozen in February (for resident translators, this means shortly after start of translatable string freeze).

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

There is no connection between the two.  Even if a store app could be available for all versions of Windows, it would remain available for download as an independent program. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 3:51 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Welcome to NVDA 2018: part 9 (add-ons) posted,completepackages for parts 6 and 7 (provisional)

Hi!

I have read a couple of times now about NVDA becoming a Windows Store app in Windows 10.

However, speaking on behalf of those who don’t have Windows 10, I hope the good old-fashioned desktop NVDA program won’t be going away any time tsoon. I know that means the developers might have two NVDA’s to work on, but it may be quite a long time before every NVDA user has a Windows 10 computer, so here’s hoping the NVDA we all use now will stick around for a good while.

Bye for now!

From Clare

cool

Hi,

Specifically:

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Joseph!

David Moore

Hi,

Thank you again,.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Today’s milestone means:

Now for the fun part:

Up next:

Cheers,

Joseph

Jonathan COHN

Clare,

I wouldn’t worry about the standard installer for NVDA going away. I believe the installation into the Windows store will be for those systems where installation of non-approved (by Microsoft) programs is disallowed. I believe there is a Windows 10S coming out that is designed for schools and specifically blocks installation of software very similar to what Apple’s IOS infrastructure does.

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Clare Page <clare.page@...>
Reply-To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Monday, January 29, 2018 at 4:54 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Hi!

Bye for now!

From Clare

cool

Till:
nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi,

Specifically:

Cheers,

Joseph

To:
nvda@nvda.groups.io

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 Jan 2018, at 7:59 AM, David Moore <
jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

Hi Joseph!

David Moore

To:
nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi,

Thank you again,.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Today’s milestone means:

Now for the fun part:

Up next:

Cheers,

Joseph