NVDA As Windows 10 App

inamuddinInam Uddin

Dear friends, when I saw the email regarding NVDA as windows 10 app, I was very happy but when I searched it into my windows store, I couldn’t find anything!

Can any one update the status of NVDA as windows 10 app?

Charlsdarwin1

You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@...
Inamuddin.ronaque@...
outlook:
inam092@...
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@...
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409

John Isige

You need to wait until 2018.1, I believe. It should be out soon.

On 1/29/2018 19:23, inamuddinInam Uddin via Groups.Io wrote:

Dear friends, when I saw the email regarding NVDA as windows 10 app, I
was very happy but when I searched it into my windows store, I
couldn’t find anything!

Can any one update the status of NVDA as windows 10 app?

Charlsdarwin1

You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@gmail.com
Inamuddin.ronaque@gmail.com
outlook:
inam092@outlook.com
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409

Hi,
2018.1 lays the foundation. I expect the earliest version might be 2018.2 or later.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Forgive me if this sounds dense, but what’s the advantage of having NVDA as a Windows Store app?

Dear friends, when I saw the email regarding NVDA as windows 10 app, I was very happy but when I searched it into my windows store, I couldn’t find anything!

Can any one update the status of NVDA as windows 10 app?

Charlsdarwin1

You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@...
Inamuddin.ronaque@...
outlook:
inam092@...
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@...
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409

Hi,

The biggest advantage is reaching more people. Windows 10 S, and to some extent, other Windows 10 versions with some Group Policy settings applied, will restrict app installation sources to Microsoft Store. This means, if NVDA is approved for distribution on the Store, it can be found by anyone. There will of course be restrictions, but most features will work (unless Store submission policy changes).

Cheers,

joseph

[...]

Aha. Yes, I understand now. I had forgotten that some Windows 10 instalations were very restrictive. And some IT departments, I suppose, might even want to restrict program instalations this way.

[...]

It also means for a student or computer beginner windows 10 s may be a system which could be the way to go.

You don't get edge or any of the advanced features including windows home.

It could be a good starter and you can upgrade later on anyway.

If all you use is office, skype and other windows apps you may not need a full featured windows install, later on you can upgrade to a version of windows but with desktop app conversions you in theory could use any app as long as it is converted to a windows one.

I am a desktop user but,  I am excited.

I mean just think, nvda on your x box is probably possible maybe win10 phone, pointless in that respect but can you imagine nvda on xbox, its not designed for it but I bet you it will run its like the renpy engine, a few games are not designed for voice support but they will run with varying degrees of access, which means while it may not be fully accessible I can and have payed for and gotten several free games which I otherwise wouldn't have access to.

Ofcause it goes without saying I will continue to use nvda with desktop because that allows extentions and addons but its a good distribution point.

On 31/01/2018 8:30 a.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

inamuddin09@gmail.com <mailto:inamuddin09@gmail.com>
Inamuddin.ronaque@gmail.com <mailto:Inamuddin.ronaque@gmail.com>
outlook:
inam092@outlook.com <mailto:inam092@outlook.com>
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca <mailto:inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca>
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786 <http://www.facebook.com/inamuddin786>
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1 <http://www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1>
Call me on my cell numbers:
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409

Hi,
Edge is the web browser on Windows 10 S.
Cheers,
joseph

[...]

Hey Sean. Yes, these are all really good points, most of which I hadn't really considered.
Heers.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

None unless you are in a closed environment where only those apps can be run.
It cannot support a lot of what you need for this simple reason but I think its seen as a presence which is important for the long term.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Except add ons as this presumably will break the protected environment rules unless they too are offered within that regime.
[...]

Yes I'm sure all know my feelings about the false sense of security this policy gives to people.The user is always theweakest link.
[...]

Edge sort of according to somebody I know. They say they think its slow and lumbering, but then, i have no idea what the hardware is.
Did I not see Chrome has a browser for the store too?
[...]

Gene

Most people won't get any sense of security because they won't even know these changes have been made.  The user doesn't follow safe practices because of rather arcane changes in browsers that most people don't even know about.  Either the user takes such thing seriously or the user doesn't.

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:59 PM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
[...]

Well chances if you are in a locked environment you will be in a business environment.

There are probably ways to allow addons through.

Sadly you will probably have to do without win10 apps which may be a problem for users.

I am unsure but maybe you could have a way to have that happen.

What may happen is you can only install addons from the official repos on nvda so the community addons repos would probaby need to get intergrated in windows store.

But no jgt, no extra addons and untrusted things however even if the official repos go in that would be enough for most users.

For my admin use, bar win10 apps I don't need addons and in fact on win7 I don't use addons at all.

Now my personal workstation which is mine is well mine and I do but its not like I would take that about.

A student in theory won't need addons unless its something really special.

Ofcause there is nothing to stop them going to a desktop version later on.

A locked down windows is probably a good idea for students, usbs especially lost ones are good places for malware.

When I was doing uni I was told that while there is security they can't pole everything so every term end all machines including servers are  reformatted and reset with default configurations for the next time from backups.

Every thing else for file storage is cloud based.

I once got a virus on several drives on one of the systems here and so did other friends from uni.

The virus was able to be killed but it dammaged the system and a lot of fiddling about had to be done to get rid of it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
[...]

.

Well it will be harder if users can't run portable apps, email attachments, etc, etc, etc.

Now restrict everything to a university drive or whatever and block personal mail and you are done.

And if you really want to get away block most of the outside net while you are at it to.

They actually do that at businesses its destracting anyway.

There are moves to block smart phones here to and social networks.

Its pritty much sandboxed.

Now I guess if an infected document or audio file got in then you would have an issue.

However, in a lot of cases the most damage a document virus can do is to other documents, and by default unless you needed them macros would have to be off.

Its true that they could do more but a lot of that has been patched allready no one is giving us malissa or whatever it was back in the day.

AAnyway in this case, the user is boxed up  what may be the issue is if a user needs to use documents at home and takes it off a stick into an infected device though if you used the cloud well maybe you will be ok.

My cousin is at uni right now, everything is managed via the cloud, he can't use anything bar university stuff and his google drive he can use his system for his stuff but still.

What we should be concerned with is server or other system overloads.

Even here in new zealand a supposedly secured system once overloaded may send the wrong info somewhere else or something whacky.

Ofcause take out the power grid and you can kiss most of that on the cheak.

----- Original Message ----- From: "JM Casey" <crystallogic@ca.inter.net>
[...]

The fact is the user just uses defaults.

Even I do this and with all the sandboxing and extra security, I am going to especially with false alarms from windows defender start designing where I put things and improve structure some.

On 31/01/2018 10:11 a.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

I can't comment on how Windows Defender is working these days.  But what have such considerations got to do with my point?  Mozilla isn't just causing all this disruption for fun.  Don't you think sighted people are unhappy about not being able to use all sorts of plugins?  Until I hear from authorities saying that such protection is not desirable, I shall assume that they, given their knowledge of such things, are taking reasonable precautions in an increasingly dangerous and sophisticated malware environment.

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:40 PM

The fact is the user just uses defaults.

Even I do this and with all the sandboxing and extra security, I am
going to especially with false alarms from windows defender start
designing where I put things and improve structure some.

On 31/01/2018 10:11 a.m., Gene wrote:
> Most people won't get any sense of security because they won't even know these changes have been made.  The user doesn't follow safe practices because of rather arcane changes in browsers that most people don't even know about.  Either the user takes such thing seriously or the user doesn't.
>
> Gene

I'd like to think so but windows defender has so many false positives that I have to exclude so much of the hard drive to even run things it could be laughable mainly games I admit but still.

On 31/01/2018 12:28 p.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

But what does Windows Defender have to do with Firefox and security precautions they have implemented?

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 6:07 PM