It is accomplished: Welcome to NVDA 2018 is now COMPLETE!

Dear global NVDA community,

It is done! I’m delighted to announce the immediate release of the long-awaited update to a popular series of free tutorials for NVDA users: Welcome to NVDA, now in its third edition. Based on NVDA 2018.1 with some features from 2017.4, this tutorial set will take you on a cruise around NVDA world, including installation, concepts, usage, commands, configuration, tools, add-ons and beyond.

The complete package (as a zip file) with introduction and what’s new, the main tutorial series, and two addenda can be found at:

http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvda18/Welcome%20to%20NVDA%202018%20Audio%20Tutorial.zip

The changes made between 2015 and 2018 editions are too numerous to list, but the highlights include use of a completely new speech synthesizer, web browsing using Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox, new settings and concepts, and so many changes to add-ons and other topics. It’ll take pages to talk about changes between 2013 and 2018 editions, as there are so many to list.

Copyright notices: NVDA (NonVisual Desktop Access) is copyright 2006-2018 by NV Access Limited, released under GPL 2. Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Edge, Windows OneCore voices and related products are copyright Microsoft Corporation. Firefox is copyright Mozilla Foundation. Other products mentioned in the tutorial set are copyrighted by makers of these products. Welcome to NVDA tutorial set is copyright 2013-2018 Joseph Lee, with permissive license for free distribution and sharing.

One major announcement: this will be my last grand scale tutorial project for the NVDA community. We have better tutorials now, including the official NVDA Basic Training module from NV Access. If anyone wants to produce the fourth edition of Welcome to NVDA (perhaps in 2020), you have my blessing. All I ask of you is that you do it not for fame or glory, but because you love this community.

Also, regarding payments for my work: the Welcome to NVDA series is, was, and should remain free in consideration for many people who do not have financial security to pay for assistance or product tutorials. If you insist on paying me for this tutorial, I’d rather ask you to donate to NV Access instead so NVDA screen reader development can continue. If you still insist on paying me (apart from offering me a scholarship at Cal State LA; joking), I’d still ask you to donate to NV Access, or if you want, a worthy project that improves lives in the long run.

Other final matters:

  • Text transcriptions are always welcome.
  • Translations are more than welcome.
  • Converting this into other formats is welcome (including DAISY).
  • I hereby give you permission to quote my tutorial for different purposes (writing essays, as part of a research paper, websites, mainstream media and what not). All I ask is a small citation.

Final remarks: I’d like to thank you all for your support for the last six weeks. All of you are a part of this effort.

Enjoy (and share) the tutorial set, and once again, welcome to NVDA 2018!

Cheers,

Joseph

ely.r@...

Joseph,

You are just amazing. With all of the other elements of your life calling to you, what focus and persistence to keep at “Welcome.” Thanks for all of this, and good luck with school and debate. Clearly a “man for all season.”

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Wow! I'll go up there and grab the zipped file right now. Thank you, Joseph, for putting this tutorial together for us.

Rosemarie

[...]

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Joseph.  Thank you.

On 1/2/2018 7:50 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Joseph

I just downloaded your tutorials in the zip file and apart from the last couple of files they were named and the other ones had section. but did not say what they covered unless you go to the website.

Would it be possible to put into the zip file  either in  or html what they refer to like on the website of yours.

I know i could easy do it my self but then every one would have to do it to if they want to know what the files refer to.

If it was done by you every one that downloaded the zip file would have the either or html file  to refer to.

I was just thinking if some one burned your tutorials onto a disk with a copy of nvda and gave it away.

They might not have internet access and would not know what sections cover with out the file.

And listening to the whole lot.

If the file is html they can as you know just jump down by headings then refer on the html file to which mp3 file it points to.

Gene nz
.

And also refer to your website when they do have internet access.

On 2/1/2018 12:50 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

The tutorial is about 560 MB (uncompressed).

I can add a file that describes topics discussed and upload it as part of the zip file, but this means everyone must download the file again, which means precious bandwidth (well, some will need to download the file again).

As for putting up links to my website: I’d advise against that, as the site may disappear someday, there might be a new location for tutorials and such.

[...]

Yes, go ahead.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hi Joseph, One thing to warn people about the download from that location is only running about 1.2mb a second so its going to be quite a long download.
What is needed is a faster site.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Techtalk did put your site address out this week in its podcast and on rnib connect radio.

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New

hi joseph.
i sincerely appreciate all of your efforts towards us and pray for you always.
where can i download your previous tutorials too?
does the link remain forever or is it possible its changed?
God bless you and his infinite mercy and graces i pray for you!

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Ian Blackburn

I also wish to thank joseph for all the work he has done over the last few years on the tutorial and other items

I appreciate hearing examples of how to use the material that would be in the written tutorial available from nvda
It was the audio tutorials that really got me into using the screen reader as my main one on windows
Ian

On 1 Feb 2018, at 8:02 pm, zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Gene

A faster site isn't needed.  People simply have to not expect everything instantly in this childish instant gratification of everything culture.  It took me about eighteen minutes to download the material.  Tragic that it took so long.  So I did other things while the download occurred.

Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2018 4:03 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> [...]
> insist
> on paying me (apart from offering me a scholarship at Cal State LA;
> joking),
> I'd still ask you to donate to NV Access, or if you want, a worthy project
> that improves lives in the long run.
>

> Other final matters:
>

> * Text transcriptions are always welcome.
> * Translations are more than welcome.
> * Converting this into other formats is welcome (including DAISY).
> * I hereby give you permission to quote my tutorial for different
> purposes (writing essays, as part of a research paper, websites,
> mainstream
> media and what not). All I ask is a small citation.
>

> Final remarks: I'd like to thank you all for your support for the last six
> weeks. All of you are a part of this effort.
>

> Enjoy (and share) the tutorial set, and once again, welcome to NVDA 2018!

Gene

Your download was much slower than mine.  We don't know why.  It isn't a band width issue.  I got download speeds last night, perhaps thirty minutes after the e-mail was sent or an hour after, of about 500kbps and the download took about eighteen minutes.  We don't know why the download was so slow in your case.  Again, you often generalize from one performance experience.  You often can't. You can say this was your experience but without more information, you often can't say more than that.  If others have such problems, then a new host might be in order but since we have received no other complaints and given the interest, probably fifty or one-hundred or more people may have downloaded it by now, no such evidence is known.

> [...]

> insist
> on paying me (apart from offering me a scholarship at Cal State LA;
> joking),
> I'd still ask you to donate to NV Access, or if you want, a worthy project
> that improves lives in the long run.
>

> Other final matters:
>

> * Text transcriptions are always welcome.
> * Translations are more than welcome.
> * Converting this into other formats is welcome (including DAISY).
> * I hereby give you permission to quote my tutorial for different
> purposes (writing essays, as part of a research paper, websites,
> mainstream
> media and what not). All I ask is a small citation.
>

> Final remarks: I'd like to thank you all for your support for the last six
> weeks. All of you are a part of this effort.
>

> Enjoy (and share) the tutorial set, and once again, welcome to NVDA 2018!

inamuddinInam Uddin

If anyone of you is having problem of downloading the latest tutorial of NVDA given by Joseph Lee, write me of list:

Inamuddin09@...

I will give you my dropbox link.

Charlsdarwin1

You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@...
Inamuddin.ronaque@...
outlook:
inam092@...
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@...
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409

> [...]

> insist

> on paying me (apart from offering me a scholarship at Cal State LA;

> joking),

> I'd still ask you to donate to NV Access, or if you want, a worthy project

> that improves lives in the long run.

> Other final matters:

> * Text transcriptions are always welcome.

> * Translations are more than welcome.

> * Converting this into other formats is welcome (including DAISY).

> * I hereby give you permission to quote my tutorial for different

> purposes (writing essays, as part of a research paper, websites,

> mainstream

> media and what not). All I ask is a small citation.

> Final remarks: I'd like to thank you all for your support for the last six

> weeks. All of you are a part of this effort.

> Enjoy (and share) the tutorial set, and once again, welcome to NVDA 2018!

Brice Mijares

Brian, it sounds as if you weren't around when there was only dial up connections Smiles.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
[...]

I agree. I'm not picky about the speed as far as downloading something. One time I downloaded an oldies show and it took about 18 minutes but I went off and did something else while the show was downloading.

> [...]

> insist
> on paying me (apart from offering me a scholarship at Cal State LA;
> joking),
> I'd still ask you to donate to NV Access, or if you want, a worthy project
> that improves lives in the long run.
>

> Other final matters:
>

> * Text transcriptions are always welcome.
> * Translations are more than welcome.
> * Converting this into other formats is welcome (including DAISY).
> * I hereby give you permission to quote my tutorial for different
> purposes (writing essays, as part of a research paper, websites,
> mainstream
> media and what not). All I ask is a small citation.
>

> Final remarks: I'd like to thank you all for your support for the last six
> weeks. All of you are a part of this effort.
>

> Enjoy (and share) the tutorial set, and once again, welcome to NVDA 2018!

Curtis Delzer

Also, the link splits between lines on my email client, so had to enter
it copying both to the run dialog and vuala, it works.
-----
Curtis Delzer, HS.
WB6HEF
San Bernardino, CA

On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 10:03:55 -0000
"Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Hi, Curt,

This time I was able to download the file using firefox. It's quite fast.