From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Next snaps broken

Be aware that if you are running next as a portable it either downloads and
won't run, or if run it creates another instance unmodified in a new folder
or just hangs up windows when you run it.
Windows 7.
So I'd steer clear till they fix it.
I just had to shut the machine down with the power button after trying to
manually run the update exe file today.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Don H

I tried to install the next snapshop over a previous snapshot and it failed.

On 2/2/2018 2:46 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
The workaround is to get an earlier version of next snapshot, install that
one, and update.
Cheers,
Joseph
Be aware that if you are running next as a portable it either downloads and
won't run, or if run it creates another instance unmodified in a new folder
or just hangs up windows when you run it.
Windows 7.
So I'd steer clear till they fix it.
I just had to shut the machine down with the power button after trying to
manually run the update exe file today.
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Another way might be to remove NVDA, install a previous next snapshot, then update.
Technical: someone is working on letting you postpone NVDA updates once downloaded. Apparently this is causing issues like this, so the developer who's working on this comments that it'll take a while for this feature to settle.
An important reminder: this is one of the reasons why I always warn you NOT to install next snapshots unless you are really adventurous or you have to, as next snapshots are alpha-level code. Master, fine, because it includes features tested by alpha testers for a while. If you do use next snapshots, you should do it if you want to report early problems. You may get an impression that next snapshots are stable, and that's likely because the code that gets tested go through a review process to make sure it is stable for everyone.
In case of future next snapshots: there will come a time (as early as next week) that you'll get a chance to learn why I warned you about next snapshots. The snapshot has to do with a crucial subsystem that is required to upgrade to Python 3, a subsystem I've been working on for the last few months. For some, you can ignore this, but if you start seeing errors with add-ons, that's because these add-ons were not updated to support newer wxPython version. And that's just a start: once we start upgrading to Python 3, you'll encounter more errors early. For those who believe that next snapshots are stable, I'm really sorry to say that it is just an illusion, hence my warning and the "real" reason why it may seem stable.
Cheers,
Joseph

Be aware that if you are running next as a portable it either
downloads and won't run, or if run it creates another instance
unmodified in a new folder or just hangs up windows when you run it.
Windows 7.
So I'd steer clear till they fix it.
I just had to shut the machine down with the power button after
trying to manually run the update exe file today.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Brian's Mail list account

Hi its precisely why I use it as a portable as it then does not screw up the running installed copy of course.
However think this problem highlights that portable versions have their own issues that may not affect installed ones.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Be aware that if you are running next as a portable it either
downloads and won't run, or if run it creates another instance
unmodified in a new folder or just hangs up windows when you run it.
Windows 7.
So I'd steer clear till they fix it.
I just had to shut the machine down with the power button after
trying to manually run the update exe file today.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Brian's Mail list account

Yes, Its a problem with seeing parameters of the old copy from the look of it. I run next only as portables. Its important for others to do this from now on as a lot of breakages are likely as the migration to a new version of Python and wx widgets are integrated before the middle of this year.
I'd stick to master myself, as the working copy. Also have a portable version of the last stable release on you system as well as then at least you can go back by installing that.