Substitute punctuation marks with sounds

Tony Malykh

Hello all,

Is there a way to substitute punctuation marks with custom sounds? I am a developer and often times I have to listen to tongue twisters of punctuation marks, like "left bracket right brace left paren ..." I wish to replace all these parens and brackets with sounds. Is there a way to do so in NVDA?

Thanks
Tony

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Hi,
NVDA itself can't do this.
Having said that, in my opinion, that is a pretty darn cool idea for an addon. Replacing symbols, letters, or even whole words/strings with sound effects.
I know JAWS has, or at least used to have, a feature like that. I had tons of fun with it. Never thought it could come into practical use though. But yeah. Certainly as a developer, trying to find stray or missing braces, brackets, parentheses, quotes, improperly escaped characters etc is very tricky, and either involves arrowing through character by character, or sit there and listen to it read the whole line including punctuation, which gets rather tedious rather quickly.
Cheers.
Damien.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2018 10:16 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Substitute punctuation marks with sounds

Hello all,

Is there a way to substitute punctuation marks with custom sounds? I am
a developer and often times I have to listen to tongue twisters of
punctuation marks, like "left bracket right brace left paren ..." I wish
to replace all these parens and brackets with sounds. Is there a way to
do so in NVDA?

Thanks
Tony

Rayn Darren <rayndarren@...>

I totally agree, this is a fantastic idea for an addon! An addition would be a sound when encountering an open bracket, if in fact there is a closing one the sound would be different then a non-paired bracket. I know nothing about python and have worked very little with sound, but would love to both learn and help with this, how do we go about getting it made?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Damien Garwood
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Substitute punctuation marks with sounds

Hi,
Having said that, in my opinion, that is a pretty darn cool idea for an
addon. Replacing symbols, letters, or even whole words/strings with sound
effects.
I know JAWS has, or at least used to have, a feature like that. I had tons
of fun with it. Never thought it could come into practical use though. But
yeah. Certainly as a developer, trying to find stray or missing braces,
brackets, parentheses, quotes, improperly escaped characters etc is very
tricky, and either involves arrowing through character by character, or sit
there and listen to it read the whole line including punctuation, which gets
rather tedious rather quickly.
Cheers.
Damien.

Hello all,

Is there a way to substitute punctuation marks with custom sounds? I am
a developer and often times I have to listen to tongue twisters of
to replace all these parens and brackets with sounds. Is there a way to
do so in NVDA?

Thanks
Tony

Adriani Botez

I am prety sure that this can be implemented in the addon Audiotheme 3d.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] Im Auftrag von Rayn Darren
Gesendet: Samstag, 3. Februar 2018 00:30
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] Substitute punctuation marks with sounds

I totally agree, this is a fantastic idea for an addon! An addition would be a sound when encountering an open bracket, if in fact there is a closing one the sound would be different then a non-paired bracket. I know nothing about python and have worked very little with sound, but would love to both learn and help with this, how do we go about getting it made?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Damien Garwood

Hi,
Having said that, in my opinion, that is a pretty darn cool idea for an addon. Replacing symbols, letters, or even whole words/strings with sound effects.
I know JAWS has, or at least used to have, a feature like that. I had tons of fun with it. Never thought it could come into practical use though. But yeah. Certainly as a developer, trying to find stray or missing braces, brackets, parentheses, quotes, improperly escaped characters etc is very tricky, and either involves arrowing through character by character, or sit there and listen to it read the whole line including punctuation, which gets rather tedious rather quickly.
Cheers.
Damien.

Hello all,

Is there a way to substitute punctuation marks with custom sounds? I am a developer and often times I have to listen to tongue twisters of punctuation marks, like "left bracket right brace left paren ..." I wish to replace all these parens and brackets with sounds. Is there a way to do so in NVDA?

Thanks
Tony

Never heard of it, but I don't use addons. Where can I get it?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Adriani Botez
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:31 PM

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] Im Auftrag von Rayn Darren

Hi,
Cheers.
Damien.

Hello all,

Thanks
Tony

Adriani Botez

Here is it:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/AudioThemes3D.en.html

Best
Adriani

Gesendet: Samstag, 3. Februar 2018 02:54

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Adriani Botez

Hi,
Cheers.
Damien.

Hello all,

Thanks
Tony

Awesome, thanks so much!

Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:56 PM

Here is it:

Best
Adriani

Hi,
Cheers.
Damien.

Hello all,

Thanks
Tony

Tony Malykh

Adriani

How do you do this in AudioThemes addon exactly? I just installed it and I don't see how you can configure sounds for specific characters.

Tony

On 2/2/2018 5:57 PM, Rayn Darren wrote:
Awesome, thanks so much!

Here is it:

Best
Adriani

Hi,
Cheers.
Damien.

Hello all,

Thanks
Tony

All I was able to find was the "character" option, but nothing beyond that for specific characters as Tony said, but then I've had to uninstall it as it played very poorly with my current sound card set up. If this is indeed a viable addon and will do what we've been talking about I'll get the sound card working right with it, but if not, I'm not going to go through the serious hassle of altering it.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Malykh
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 6:41 PM

Adriani

How do you do this in AudioThemes addon exactly? I just installed it and
I don't see how you can configure sounds for specific characters.

Tony

Awesome, thanks so much!

Here is it:

Best
Adriani

Hi,
Cheers.
Damien.

Hello all,

Thanks
Tony

Adriani Botez

Tony,

yes. But it should not be very hard to specify in the code a new function. You can discuss this with the author. That‘s why I said it certainly can be implemented. Conceptually this addon should be able to do it for sentence marks as well...

Best
Adriani
P.s.: If you want a new addon, in the source code are many strings which could be useful.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 03.02.2018 um 03:41 schrieb Tony Malykh <anton.malykh@...>:

Adriani

How do you do this in AudioThemes addon exactly? I just installed it and I don't see how you can configure sounds for specific characters.

Tony

Awesome, thanks so much!

Here is it:

Best
Adriani

Hi,
Cheers.
Damien.

Hello all,

Thanks
Tony

Brian's Mail list account

I'm sure you were aware that there was a now dead comedian who made a lot of money with his monologues where he substituted sounds for Punctuation! Victor Borge'

Now my one problem with having a mode like this is, given the number of different marks and their meaning in different circumstances in different languages, it could need one heck of a lot of individual sounds to cover them all. I do know what you are getting at different sorts of brackets and colons etc, are main candidates, with underscores being also useful.

Maybe this is add on territory ie a programmers version as most of us prefer not to hear these greater thans etc all over the place, but obviously such things are important in programming as are brackets and indents etc.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Hello all,

Thanks
Tony

Gene

The user would select the sound for the specific punctuation.  There wouldn't be preassigned sounds.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2018 5:27 AM

I'm sure you were aware that there was a now dead comedian who made a lot of
money with his monologues where he substituted sounds for Punctuation!
Victor Borge'

Now my one problem with having a mode like this is, given the number of
different marks and their meaning in different circumstances in different
languages, it could need one heck of a  lot of individual sounds to cover
them all. I do know what you are getting at different sorts of brackets and
colons etc, are main candidates, with underscores being also useful.

Maybe this is add on territory ie a programmers version as most of us prefer
not to hear these greater thans etc all over the place, but obviously such
things are important in programming as are brackets and indents etc.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

> Hello all,
>
> Is there a way to substitute punctuation marks with custom sounds? I am a
> developer and often times I have to listen to tongue twisters of
> punctuation marks, like "left bracket right brace left paren ..." I wish
> to replace all these parens and brackets with sounds. Is there a way to do
> so in NVDA?
>
> Thanks
> Tony
>
>
>
>

Brian's Mail list account

No maybe not but this would need a lot of sounds and I question how easy it might be to come up with enough of them to be easy to recognise.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2018 1:49 PM

The user would select the sound for the specific punctuation. There wouldn't be preassigned sounds.

Gene

Victor Borge'

languages, it could need one heck of a lot of individual sounds to cover

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Hello all,

Is there a way to substitute punctuation marks with custom sounds? I am a
developer and often times I have to listen to tongue twisters of
to replace all these parens and brackets with sounds. Is there a way to do
so in NVDA?

Thanks
Tony

Gene

You are assuming a sound would be wanted for every punctuation sign.  And at least in Engglish and many languages, there aren't that many.  Period, question mark, colon, semicolon quotation marks and you might want a sound for ellipsis.  You could have more sounds as well.  You could have sounds in the pronunciation dictionary so you can assign sounds for whatever you want.  The user could even put sound files in the program if he/she doesn't like what is provided.  Now let's see what kinds of sounds we might have.  Bell, whistle, door close, door open, chime, and all sorts of variations such as high pitch bell, low pitch bell, car dor, a door such as in a house, and other people may come up with all sorts of other examples.  The world is full of distinctive sounds.  And JAWS has had such a feature for probably over a dedcade so this is not at all a novel idea.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 2:54 AM

No maybe not but this would need a lot of sounds and I question how easy it
might be to come up with enough of them to be easy to recognise.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

The user would select the sound for the specific punctuation.  There
wouldn't be preassigned sounds.

Gene

Victor Borge'

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

> Hello all,
>
> so in NVDA?
>
> Thanks
> Tony
>
>
>
>

Sarah k Alawami

This actually reminds me of JFW in that an attachment was detected and for me I had a sliding tone play so I could know what was going on very quickly. I like the idea actually.

On Feb 4, 2018, at 3:12 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

You are assuming a sound would be wanted for every punctuation sign.  And at least in Engglish and many languages, there aren't that many.  Period, question mark, colon, semicolon quotation marks and you might want a sound for ellipsis.  You could have more sounds as well.  You could have sounds in the pronunciation dictionary so you can assign sounds for whatever you want.  The user could even put sound files in the program if he/she doesn't like what is provided.  Now let's see what kinds of sounds we might have.  Bell, whistle, door close, door open, chime, and all sorts of variations such as high pitch bell, low pitch bell, car dor, a door such as in a house, and other people may come up with all sorts of other examples.  The world is full of distinctive sounds.  And JAWS has had such a feature for probably over a dedcade so this is not at all a novel idea.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 2:54 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Substitute punctuation marks with sounds

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Victor Borge'

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

> Hello all,
>
> so in NVDA?
>
> Thanks
> Tony
>
>
>
>

Devin Prater

I like the idea too, along with voice changes or sounds to denote different attributes, such as style changes in word and email, or HTML elements on the web.
Devin Prater
Assistive Technology Instructor

, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint instructor certified by World Services for the Blind

On Feb 4, 2018, at 2:21 PM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

This actually reminds me of JFW in that an attachment was detected and for me I had a sliding tone play so I could know what was going on very quickly. I like the idea actually.

Gene

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Victor Borge'

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

> Hello all,
>
> so in NVDA?
>
> Thanks
> Tony
>
>
>
>

Quentin Christensen

Does anyone know if an issue has been created for this?  I just had a look at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues and can't see one, so wanted to check.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@...> wrote:
I like the idea too, along with voice changes or sounds to denote different attributes, such as style changes in word and email, or HTML elements on the web.
Devin Prater
Assistive Technology Instructor

, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint instructor certified by World Services for the Blind

On Feb 4, 2018, at 2:21 PM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

Gene

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene

Victor Borge'

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

> Hello all,
>
> so in NVDA?
>
> Thanks
> Tony
>
>
>
>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess