Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Kelly Sapergia

Hi,

Recently, there was a discussion about alternative voices for NVDA, such as Code Factory's add-on with Eloquence and Vocalizer. I mentioned that when I tried this particular product, I noticed that Eloquence sounded quite choppy compared to other screen readers and other synths I have for NVDA on my machine running Windows 7.
I also never experienced this with Code Factory's SAPI 5 implementation.
Anyway, I got thinking about it this evening, and decided to do some searching to see if anyone else was experiencing similar issues. I found a thread about the add-on in the old NVDA list's archive, and saw a message stating that the choppiness would go away once the product was paid for. I was just wondering if this is indeed the case? If yes, it's not what I'd consider the best way to limit a trial version, but I might buy it after all.

Thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
http://www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: http://www.ksapergia.net
Business Website (KJS Productions): http://www.kjsproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter at: kjsapergia

afrim maja <afrim.maja@...>

I have been using the old add-on of eloquonce someone made, and I am not going to pay for a program that does essentially the same thing. The add-on I am talking about works so fast and reliably.
cheers.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Kelly Sapergia <ksapergia@sasktel.net> wrote:

[...]

Well that is up to you, but as i understood the rights issue, if yu had a copy on your machine that was capable of being shared then that is fine, but if not legally you are not allowed to hack it to work with nvda.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Peter Beasley

My sentiments exactly.

[...]

Greg Wocher

Hello,
I want to give those of you who use the illegal eloquence add on some food for thought. When you do it and proudly proclaim that you do, you give NVDA and its users a bad reputation. I think I may purchase the Code Factory add on later this afternoon from AT Guys and I will let you all know if it gets rid of the choppiness.

Regards,
Greg Wocher

On 4/17/2016 5:32 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
My sentiments exactly.

-----Original Message----- From: Afrim
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

[...]

Afrim <afrim.maja@...>

Hello Greg,
I see this point in a different prospective.
When you buy a product, what do you consider to be worth the price?
Do you know when was the last time Eloquence was updated? It's been many
years so far.
If eloquence was sold to code factory for a greater purpose in terms of
development and TTS progression, I would be more than happy to pay. Despite
being the best TTS and the most comprehensive voice amongst all, eloquence
actually faces many issues. The most important one is the group of crashing
word which crashes the eloquence so badly. Secondly, this add-on from code
factory is very unintegrated because there are few and probably no words in
the dictionary wordlist. For example, "Mr." is pronounced just M R or etc is
pronounced "etk". The list goes on and on and I promise that you will be
required to add a lot of abriviations which are used today.
When I see all these issues, I don't feel like buying it because the money
I'm spending is nearly being wasted.
I would rather prefer to buy another TTS like Ivona or acapela because I
have eloquence and it is working pretty good.
No bad reputation is created upon users of a free and open source program
because anyone who's good at programming can freely modify the application
in the way he wants. It's too easy, isn't it?

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code
Factory

wrote:

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

As per list instructions, I will not promote, defend usage of or initiate discussion of the said 'illegal' version of Eloquence that is rather popular among users of all kinds. Without getting too political, my biggest beef with the situation is the the copyright/patent holders (after transfer numberous times--I forget who it is now) they ban unauthorized usage, but won't sell it via single or group license to anyone who doesn't already have it like Freedom Scientific and G.W. Micro/whatever the company name is for the new conglomerate.

The Code factory SAPI 5 is passable and I have indeed purchased a copy. I downloaded a demo of the legal version synthesizer from Code Factory and it has numerous issues--many of which have already been discussed on this list. When I e-mailed Code Factory a number of times about future updates and whether or not I could test them with a new demo for 7 days, I received no responses. (Maybe there's a language barrier--since the page is obviously written by non English speakers--but It's difficult to definitively determine.)

Just my 2 centavos.

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Factory

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

mk360

Hi,

I can pay, but the first condition is that the paid versions works as fine or better that the alternative, and as reviews as been said, that is not the case.
However, I know that in the list we can't speak about that alternative, so I don't understand why the people speak about it.

Regards,
mk.

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

[...]

Lenron

I used it at one point because I heard it worked better than the payed version.

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Factory

wrote:

[...]

Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

afrim maja <afrim.maja@...>

Why do people talk about it? They can, and I don't consider it against the rules of the list since the add-on, the alternative if you like to call it is available and accessible from within the add-on list of NVDA.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

[...]

Gene

The code Factory add on is allowed to be discussed.  There is an illegal add on which is not allowed to be discussed as illegal software in general isn't.

Why do people talk about it? They can, and I don't consider it against the rules of the list since the add-on, the alternative if you like to call it is available and accessible from within the add-on list of NVDA.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:33 PM, mk360 <mk.seventhson@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I can pay, but the first condition is that the paid versions works as fine or better that the alternative, and as reviews as been said, that is not the case.
> However, I know that in the list we can't speak about that alternative, so I don't understand why the people speak about it.
>
> Regards,
> mk.
>
>> El 17-04-2016 a las 8:04, Greg Wocher escribió:
>> Hello,
>> I want to give those of you who use the illegal eloquence add on some food for thought. When you do it and proudly proclaim that you do, you give NVDA and its users a bad reputation. I think I may purchase the Code Factory add on later this afternoon from AT Guys and I will let you all know if it gets rid of the choppiness.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Greg Wocher
>>
>>> On 4/17/2016 5:32 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
>>> My sentiments exactly.
>>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Afrim
>>> Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
>>> To: nvda@groups.io
>>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory
>>>
>>> I have been using the old add-on of eloquonce someone made, and I am not going to pay for a program  that does essentially the same thing. The add-on I am talking about works so fast and reliably.
>>> cheers.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Pete <emac00@...>

Hi
The old sound blaster came with a synthesizer called textassist. To me textassist sounds like the DEC talk access 32 software but I think it uses sapi version 3.
My question is how difficult would it be to implement sapi 3 in nvda?
This might open up a whole other world of software synths for people to try and the DEC talk access 32 is good as is the SB16 textassist. Another software synthesizer is i b m v i a voice. It comes in i b m's home page reader along with a screen reader called desktop reader or some thing like that. v i a voice sounds like eloquence to me may be a bit more refined. P W web speak came with a software synthesizer called s o voice or sovoice. It wasn't bad either.
I still like espeak for the reason it reads fast and 7 or 8 hundred w p m it is more clear than DEC talk or eloquence to me any ways.
Pete

On 4/17/2016 12:22 AM, Kelly Sapergia wrote:
[...]

I would look at software that comes with sound cards then buy a sound card that comes with a synthesizer. DEC talk sounding speech from textassist is quite good and if you have a SB16 sound card in your computer you can download the software for it. One problem, like I said earlier text assist is sapi 3. Jaws was able to use it in the past, I don't think window eyes was able to.
Pete