Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 6:04 AM
Subject: Re: This is the moderator speaking: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Well if people don't want the legal version of eloquence.
emailing enablerehab@... and asking for their dectalk synth may be
the better option.
They don't exactly sell it anymore because there is no interest however
they will sell it to you for basically what its worth.
Their licence with fonix means you need to pay but there is no fixed
price so pay what you want.
I put in 20 bucks for the thing but you could pay anything from 1-2
dollars up.
For those not liking eloquence this may be the better solution.
My only complaint is that some of  the voices  are a bit quiet volume wise.
However for about a couple mb you get every dectalk voice and language,
sadly no singing but even so.

On 18/04/2016 10:33 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> 1. CF version is legal.
> 2. Sometimes we do see illegal Eloquence pop up, and this version is the one we don't allow (legal versions are allowed).
> Hope this helps (and please have a long rest).
> Cheers,
> Joseph

David Moore

Hi,
I used the dec talk hard ware synthisizer in the 80s with an IBM computer. Wow, that really brings back memories. Take care.

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda]

Thanks for those samples. I've never really been a fan of Decktalk, but I have heard quite a bit of it over the years, and you are right. This version does sound quite different than what's shipped with Window Eyes.

Thanks,
Ari

People who are interested may want to hear a recording I made when I was evaluating this version of Dectalk.  it speaks differently enough and has a bit of a different inflection pattern as well and those interested should hear the program when deciding.  You may be able to use it as a demo but this recording may allow you to decide what you think of this version.  The original DECTalk couldn't be replicated, I think because the code was lost at some time and this is a reconstruction.  The person selling the program isn't responsible for this.  She is making available what has been supplied.

The person selling this version is very friendly and it was a pleasure corresponding with her.
The link to download the samples is
The sample consists of the reading of a small part of Genesis at two different speeds.  Trying the synthesizer as you would use it may be preferable but this may give you a reasonable idea of whether you want to pursue the matter.

Gene

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 6:04 AM

Well if people don't want the legal version of eloquence.
emailing enablerehab@... and asking for their dectalk synth may be
the better option.
They don't exactly sell it anymore because there is no interest however
they will sell it to you for basically what its worth.
Their licence with fonix means you need to pay but there is no fixed
price so pay what you want.
I put in 20 bucks for the thing but you could pay anything from 1-2
dollars up.
For those not liking eloquence this may be the better solution.
My only complaint is that some of  the voices  are a bit quiet volume wise.
However for about a couple mb you get every dectalk voice and language,
sadly no singing but even so.

On 18/04/2016 10:33 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> 1. CF version is legal.
> 2. Sometimes we do see illegal Eloquence pop up, and this version is the one we don't allow (legal versions are allowed).
> Hope this helps (and please have a long rest).
> Cheers,
> Joseph

Christo Vorster

Hi

My first experience with computers was back in 1986. A friend of mine had an Apple with SoftVert as speech programme. I still am of the opinion that SoftVert was way ahead of it’s time.

Then I moved into a new job at the Pioneer School for the Blind in Worcester, South Africa.

Just for interest sake. I was appointed as Piano Tuning teacher. What I wil remember for the rest of my life is that I got a desktop computer. A 186 (the rest of the letters and numbers I cannot remember), 20 MB hard drive and something like 4 MB of RAM. I can’t even remember the version of DOS I used, probably something like 3.1, or something. At that time I thought that 20 MB of hard drive space was so much that it would last me for the rest of my life. Those were the “good old days”. Now 2 TerraByte is pushing it for space.

Yes! We must live with change. Fortunately one can change, but we my still remember the starting days.

Cheers

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 6:04 AM

Well if people don't want the legal version of eloquence.
emailing enablerehab@... and asking for their dectalk synth may be
the better option.
They don't exactly sell it anymore because there is no interest however
they will sell it to you for basically what its worth.
Their licence with fonix means you need to pay but there is no fixed
price so pay what you want.
I put in 20 bucks for the thing but you could pay anything from 1-2
dollars up.
For those not liking eloquence this may be the better solution.
My only complaint is that some of  the voices  are a bit quiet volume wise.
However for about a couple mb you get every dectalk voice and language,
sadly no singing but even so.

On 18/04/2016 10:33 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> 1. CF version is legal.
> 2. Sometimes we do see illegal Eloquence pop up, and this version is the one we don't allow (legal versions are allowed).
> Hope this helps (and please have a long rest).
> Cheers,
> Joseph

Heaven Botma <ehlbotma@...>

Hello

Talking about pronounciations. NVDA has a way of reading words as
months. For instance, if I read a word that starts with the letters
JUN with a number preceeding or succeeding it, NVDA reads it as June.
This is rather annoying and I would actually like to know how to
change it.

If I can give you an example NVDA reads 2 Mark as 2 March k.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25812011/DECtalk%20samples.mp3?dl=1

[...]

clgilland07@gmail.com
Phone: (704) 256-8010.

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

On Apr 17, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Kelly Sapergia <ksapergia@sasktel.net>
wrote:

[...]

What synthesizer are you using?  This appears to be an issue of how your synthesizer works and not NVDA.

On 4/19/16, Christo Vorster <christo.vorster@...> wrote:
> Hi
>

> My first experience with computers was back in 1986. A friend of mine had an
> Apple with SoftVert as speech programme. I still am of the opinion that
> SoftVert was way ahead of it’s time.
>

> Then I moved into a new job at the Pioneer School for the Blind in
> Worcester, South Africa.
>

> Just for interest sake. I was appointed as Piano Tuning teacher. What I wil
> remember for the rest of my life is that I got a desktop computer. A 186
> (the rest of the letters and numbers I cannot remember), 20 MB hard drive
> and something like 4 MB of RAM. I can’t even remember the version of DOS I
> used, probably something like 3.1, or something. At that time I thought that
> 20 MB of hard drive space was so much that it would last me for the rest of
> my life. Those were the “good old days”. Now 2 TerraByte is pushing it for
> space.
>

> Yes! We must live with change. Fortunately one can change, but we my still
> remember the starting days.
>

> Cheers

Heaven Botma <ehlbotma@...>

Hello

It has nothing to do with the Synthesiser. I have used both SAPI (the
version as default on Windows 10) and ESpeak. Both these synthesisers
give me the same problem. Isn't there a autocomplete option or
something that I need to uncheck somewhere?

Thanks
Heaven

Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

wrote:

[...]

I am not aware of any settings governing the behavior you are describing.  I tried listening to your example using ESpeak and I did not get the results you describe.