a big thank you to the programmers

Betsy Grenevitch

I want to thank whoever decided to let NVDA tell you when you just visited a link. I was on our state legislative site having to copy and paste in a file the information about each senator. With my dementia I cannot remember which link I was on last and without having to go back to the list I was making it was great to have NVDA just say "visited link" on the ones I had already opened. I knew it did it but really noticed it this time as the dementia is getting a lot worse.

I know I have said this out here before, but I want to thank those again who have helped me through the years write down step-by-step directions for different tasks I need to use. I used some of those directions again today.

I am already giving a very small amount each month but hope in about three years to add more to that amount each month. I do not know where I would be without NVDA.

Thanks again.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Sarah k Alawami

I also use this as well, it's grate to keep track of things, especially on huge sites you visit infrequently.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Betsy Grenevitch
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 3:46 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] a big thank you to the programmers

I want to thank whoever decided to let NVDA tell you when you just visited a link. I was on our state legislative site having to copy and paste in a file the information about each senator. With my dementia I cannot remember which link I was on last and without having to go back to the list I was making it was great to have NVDA just say "visited link" on the ones I had already opened. I knew it did it but really noticed it this time as the dementia is getting a lot worse.

I know I have said this out here before, but I want to thank those again who have helped me through the years write down step-by-step directions for different tasks I need to use. I used some of those directions again today.

I am already giving a very small amount each month but hope in about three years to add more to that amount each month. I do not know where I would be without NVDA.

Thanks again.

--

Doesn't JAWS do this as well?  NVDA and JAWS both have had shortcuts for links (whether visited or unvisited), visited link, and unvisited link, in their keyboard shortcuts for as long as I can remember.  I also thought both announced, when you landed on a link, it's previous visitation status.

I'm just curious if any JAWS and NVDA users, and I know we've got those, can either confirm or refute my memory.  I just realized a couple of days ago that it has been almost 4 years since I last had a client where I was tutoring JAWS.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Betsy Grenevitch

I was not a JAWS user so have no idea to this question. WindowEyes and now NVDA were far easier for me to use.

On 1/15/2022 6:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Doesn't JAWS do this as well?  NVDA and JAWS both have had shortcuts for links (whether visited or unvisited), visited link, and unvisited link, in their keyboard shortcuts for as long as I can remember.  I also thought both announced, when you landed on a link, it's previous visitation status.

I'm just curious if any JAWS and NVDA users, and I know we've got those, can either confirm or refute my memory.  I just realized a couple of days ago that it has been almost 4 years since I last had a client where I was tutoring JAWS.
--

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

--

Sarah k Alawami

I believe jaws does this, or did when I last used it in  2009. You can have this setting turned off, but yeah I don’t as my memory  is crummy at best, thanks condition I didn’t know I had until 2019.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] a big thank you to the programmers

--

Arlene

Yes, Jaws still does say visited link. If you are on a huge site it still does.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: January 15, 2022 4:16 PM

I believe jaws does this, or did when I last used it in  2009. You can have this setting turned off, but yeah I don’t as my memory  is crummy at best, thanks condition I didn’t know I had until 2019.

Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 3:56 PM

--

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 07:56 PM, Arlene wrote:
Yes, Jaws still does say visited link.
-
Thanks.  I didn't think this was distinctive to NVDA.  I think Narrator does it, too.

--

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

What key strokes eliminate the announcement of visited link?

I assume you don’t have to have it. I am using NVDA.

Marilyn

Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 6:00 PM

-
Thanks.  I didn't think this was distinctive to NVDA.  I think Narrator does it, too.

--

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

The visited link is a standare web browser thing. Not sure what it shows visually if their are visited links, but yes all screen readers encluding NVDA as you already know announce these.

On 1/15/2022 6:46 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:

Thanks again.

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

The visited link is a standare web browser thing. Not sure what it shows visually if their are visited links, but yes all screen readers encluding NVDA as you already know announce these.

Thanks again.

Sarah k Alawami

I believe it shows a different color so I've been told. It's interesting all of this.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lino Morales
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 6:25 PM

I want to thank whoever decided to let NVDA tell you when you just
visited a link. I was on our state legislative site having to copy and
paste in a file the information about each senator. With my dementia I
cannot remember which link I was on last and without having to go back
to the list I was making it was great to have NVDA just say "visited
link" on the ones I had already opened. I knew it did it but really
noticed it this time as the dementia is getting a lot worse.

I know I have said this out here before, but I want to thank those
again who have helped me through the years write down step-by-step
directions for different tasks I need to use. I used some of those
directions again today.

I am already giving a very small amount each month but hope in about
three years to add more to that amount each month. I do not know where
I would be without NVDA.

Thanks again.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 09:43 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I believe it shows a different color so I've been told.
-
That would be correct.  Unvisited links are in one color (generally blue unless customized) and visited ones in another (generally gray).  These can be customized.
--

Gene

You can set NVDA not to announce visited links.  To do this, open document formatting, control d, and tab to visited links.  It's a checkbox.  Press the space bar to uncheck it, then activate the ok button.

Gene

On 1/15/2022 7:33 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Marilyn

-

--

Gene

While on the subject of visited links, it is important to say that if you delete your browser history, you will lose all visited links.  The browser keeps that information in history.  Off and on, I see people advising to delete browser history to see if it solves a problem.  I don't know if doing so might solve any problems but those who use or rely on visited links should know they will lose all of them if they do this.  I'm skeptical that removing history solves problems to any extent anyway but whatever the case, this is seldom stated when people make such recommendations and it is important to be stated.

I don't recall if someone asked how to move to visited links.  V moves you to the next visited link, shift v moves you to the previous one.

Gene

On 1/15/2022 5:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

--

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

Thank you Gene.  I was losing hope that anybody would answer my question.  Not that the additional drift wasn’t informative to read, but those weren’t what I asked about. 

Marilyn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 8:34 PM

You can set NVDA not to announce visited links.  To do this, open document formatting, control d, and tab to visited links.  It's a checkbox.  Press the space bar to uncheck it, then activate the ok button.

Gene

On 1/15/2022 7:33 PM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:

Marilyn

-

--

Chris Mullins

Hi Brian

I was a Jaws user for years and I remember the  v (visited) and u (unvisited) quick key links in browse mode, which are replicated in NVDA.  My only issue is how can they be cleared, if for example a user like Betsy wanted to start again visiting all links on a page. Would the page first have to be purged from cache and re-loaded to remove the link designation?  I noticed that the visited link status of links is retained between visits to the browser, in my case Brave, so it could become mis-leading.       

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 15 January 2022 23:56

--

Gene

You would have to clear the page or the site, whichever choices you have and want to clear, from history.  That is why I generally don't use visited links.  There are times when it is very useful.  At times, when I'm doing something on a page and I want to know where I left off, using visited links can be very useful.  But usually, pages are full of visited links because on pages I use often, I usually go to a lot of links.  I use the find command usually.  If I want to move to a ;page on a newspaper site that is named editorials, I search for edit instead of writing the entire word.  Usually the first four letters works efficiently;.  Because newspaper pages may have other text with some variation of the word edit, I use five letters.

Gene

On 1/16/2022 9:47 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi Brian

I was a Jaws user for years and I remember the  v (visited) and u (unvisited) quick key links in browse mode, which are replicated in NVDA.  My only issue is how can they be cleared, if for example a user like Betsy wanted to start again visiting all links on a page. Would the page first have to be purged from cache and re-loaded to remove the link designation?  I noticed that the visited link status of links is retained between visits to the browser, in my case Brave, so it could become mis-leading.       

Cheers

Chris

--

Chris,

As Gene has already mentioned, the status of a link as visited or unvisited is determined by the browser itself and based upon your browsing history.  The way to change the status is to edit your browsing history to remove any links that are currently "in the list" as this is what makes the browser denote them as visited.  There are many ways to do this, the most arduous being going into browsing history and removing them by hand, and the most thorough going into the "Clear History" feature of your browser and wiping everything out for some set period of time.  When I do this the "set period" is almost always "all time," so everything is wiped and all links become unvisited again.

It is generally a good idea NOT to become overly dependent on the status of a given link, as there will be times when you either need to use another browser and its status in that other browser does not match what it is in your usual one, or you will need (or want) to clear browser history and this will reset the status of all links to unvisited.  I'm not saying that using link status is a bad thing, but you need to realize when it can change and, if you've taken the steps to make that happen, you need to be aware that your visited links are no longer visited links.

It's very difficult to selectively edit, at the individual link level, browsing history because the same link has often been visited literally hundreds of times over a period of months, and you're unlikely to have the time or patience to go through the entirety of your browsing history searching only for that link and strategically removing every instance of it.
--

Gene

I'll also point out that there are other ways to efficiently move to links you go to regularly.  I discussed the way I use but there is the links list and the add-on that has been discussed here recently.  I don't recall its name but if I understand what has been said about one of its features, you can create something that will move you to a certain place on a page when you visit it and use a command to move there.

I dont know how many places on a page you can designate in this way.

Gene

On 1/16/2022 10:06 AM, Gene wrote:

You would have to clear the page or the site, whichever choices you have and want to clear, from history.  That is why I generally don't use visited links.  There are times when it is very useful.  At times, when I'm doing something on a page and I want to know where I left off, using visited links can be very useful.  But usually, pages are full of visited links because on pages I use often, I usually go to a lot of links.  I use the find command usually.  If I want to move to a ;page on a newspaper site that is named editorials, I search for edit instead of writing the entire word.  Usually the first four letters works efficiently;.  Because newspaper pages may have other text with some variation of the word edit, I use five letters.

Gene

On 1/16/2022 9:47 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi Brian

Cheers

Chris

--

Quentin Christensen

Thanks Betsy!  Even though, as others have said, it might not be a new feature, it's still great to know that it's a useful feature for you.  Also a reminder to any web devs out there (although most reading this group would already be quite conscientious about this) that for all the latest fancy bells and whistles out there, sometimes it's the simple, back to basics HTML (I just checked, I believe visited links were a thing from HTML 3.2 in 1997 - 25 years ago: https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/SPSD-html32-20180315/ )

To answer the question someone asked in the thread - It's up to the page or CSS, or failing that, your browser settings as to exactly what colour visited links appear.  The default is generally that unvisited links appear in blue, and visited links appear in purple.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 10:46 AM Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:
I want to thank whoever decided to let NVDA tell you when you just
visited a link. I was on our state legislative site having to copy and
paste in a file the information about each senator. With my dementia I
cannot remember which link I was on last and without having to go back
to the list I was making it was great to have NVDA just say "visited
link" on the ones I had already opened. I knew it did it but really
noticed it this time as the dementia is getting a lot worse.

I know I have said this out here before, but I want to thank those again
who have helped me through the years write down step-by-step directions
for different tasks I need to use. I used some of those directions again
today.

I am already giving a very small amount each month but hope in about
three years to add more to that amount each month. I do not know where I
would be without NVDA.

Thanks again.

--

--
Quentin Christensen