From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: Monday, May 3, 2021 5:36 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] a couple questions sparked by recent topics

Hi all,
Two questions, both having been sparked by recent topics:
1. What's the difference between Windows One Core voices and Sapi5 voices? It seems I have the same voices with both systems, with the addition to One Core of Mark.
2. I'm not sure I understand the speech and beeps setting that NVDA+S toggles to? What's the difference between that and the beeps you get with a progress bar?
Thanks,
Bob

Quentin Christensen

Hi Bob,

1) Windows OneCore Voices are higher quality and more responsive than SAPI5, and are the ones actively being worked on by Microsoft.  SAPI5 is an older standard which is still widely used so you may find some third party software (such as Balabolka for instance) which can use SAPI 5 voices, but not OneCore voices.

2) Speech and beeps is mostly used by people leaving the computer to perform a long task, who want to hear when it is finished, but don't want to hear it talking all the time.  If you don't have a need for this mode, there is a NoBeepsSpeechMode add-on which disables it: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/noBeepsSpeechMode.en.html

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Luke Davis

Hi Bob

To your second question: the NVDA+s "beeps speech mode" option, replaces all speech with quiet, high-frequency beeps.

So any time your computer talks, or you try to read the screen, etc., you will get a short burst of beeps.

It is potentially useful when you want to know things are still happening on your computer, without hearing the details.
For example, if you are running an encoding process that prints unhelpful verbose messages to the screen. You want to know when it's finished, but you don't want to be distracted by the messages. Set to beeps speech mode, and you will get mostly unintrusive beeps instead.
When they stop, you know it's time to switch back to speech mode talk.

The progress bar beeps mode is just that: when a true progress bar is in a window, you can have the progress of that progress bar spoken in percentage, or emitted as beeps that get higher in pitch as the progress bar progresses.

And now, after typing that sentence, I feel the need to say: how much progress could a progress bar make, if a progress bar could make progress?

--
Luke

"I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I only know what I can do." -James T. Kirk

Gene

I’m not sure if this is more than you are asking.  My understanding is that One Core voices aren’t SAPI.  MSAPI, I believe that stands for Microsoft Speech Application program interface, is a standard that anyone can use to make compatible synthesizers for Windows.  I don’t know what MSAPI voices Microsoft may have but there are a lot of companies and developers who have developed MSAPI voices.

Sent: Monday, May 03, 2021 7:35 PM

Hi all,
Two questions, both having been sparked by recent topics:
1. What's the difference between Windows One Core voices and Sapi5
voices? It seems I have the same voices with both systems, with the
addition to One Core of Mark.
2. I'm not sure I understand the speech and beeps setting that NVDA+S
toggles to? What's the difference between that and the beeps you get
with a progress bar?
Thanks,
Bob

Not sure why you would use beeps as such either.

Onecore is the new way windows does its voices, I think its the same stuff as cortana.

With the right voices and a few extras you can get extra access to some of those though sapi is the prefered platform.

Maybe there are slight quality improvements but its slight.

On 4/05/2021 12:35 pm, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Hi all,
Two questions, both having been sparked by recent topics:
1. What's the difference between Windows One Core voices and Sapi5
voices? It seems I have the same voices with both systems, with the
addition to One Core of Mark.
2. I'm not sure I understand the speech and beeps setting that NVDA+S
toggles to? What's the difference between that and the beeps you get
with a progress bar?
Thanks,
Bob

.

Sarah k Alawami

I use beeps mode when I need to read stuff on the screen that I don't need speech for. One ATC program takes about an hour to install, and all that shows up is a mess of cmd like prompts so I turn off speech and set it to beeps and just listen to the screen and eat lunch or what ever I'm doing. The high pitched beep tells me that something is happening but I don't need to deal with it right now.

[...]

hi quentin.
about microsoft onecore voices,
is it possible that we can install them on any version of windows as exe?
also, does it still need changing the registry?
or does it need downloading these voices,
or its installed in all versions of windows ten by default?

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 10:36 AM Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,
Two questions, both having been sparked by recent topics:
1. What's the difference between Windows One Core voices and Sapi5
voices? It seems I have the same voices with both systems, with the
addition to One Core of Mark.
2. I'm not sure I understand the speech and beeps setting that NVDA+S
toggles to? What's the difference between that and the beeps you get
with a progress bar?
Thanks,
Bob

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Hi,
You cannot install OneCore voices on versions other than Windows 10.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

whats the extension of installer files for onecore voices?
are they msi or exe or just they are universal windows platform like
microsoft store?

wrote:

[...]

I have no idea, as they are sort of tied to language packs and speech languages.

wrote:

[...]

Steve Nutt

Yep, you can only install them by downloading a language pack in Windows.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close