Topics

A few questions

Akshaya Choudhary
 

 
Hello guys,
I have a few questions:
1.    Is there a way to have different punctuation settings for different voices or synthesizers? I think it can be done by creating a different configuration profile. But, my NVDA starts behaving weird if there are more than one configuration profiles. So, an alternative is welcome.
2.    I have 6 voices available in my Windows One Core synthesizer, but when I switch to SAPI 5, I can only access two of those voices. What could be the reason? The two available SAPI 5 voices are English US voices. The other two set of voices that are only available in One Core synthesizer are Indian English and Hindi.
3.    In Phonetic Punctuation add-on, some audio rules stay active regardless of the set punctuation level. For example, if Phonetic Punctuation is turned on, I hear sounds for ellipsis; left and right parenthesis’s; and editable field, even when my punctuation level is set to none.   Any suggestions to fix this?
Also, can there be a setting allowing the users to set  independent punctuation levels for the audio rules?
I shall be grateful for any feedback.
 

--
Regards,
Sociohack

Quentin Christensen
 

What problems do you have using configuration profiles?  I'm not aware of any big issues with them.

I'm not sure about the SAPI 5 vs OneCore voices although I expect some voices might only be available in one or the other perhaps?

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 1:01 AM Akshaya Choudhary <acsociopath@...> wrote:
 
Hello guys,
I have a few questions:
1.    Is there a way to have different punctuation settings for different voices or synthesizers? I think it can be done by creating a different configuration profile. But, my NVDA starts behaving weird if there are more than one configuration profiles. So, an alternative is welcome.
2.    I have 6 voices available in my Windows One Core synthesizer, but when I switch to SAPI 5, I can only access two of those voices. What could be the reason? The two available SAPI 5 voices are English US voices. The other two set of voices that are only available in One Core synthesizer are Indian English and Hindi.
3.    In Phonetic Punctuation add-on, some audio rules stay active regardless of the set punctuation level. For example, if Phonetic Punctuation is turned on, I hear sounds for ellipsis; left and right parenthesis’s; and editable field, even when my punctuation level is set to none.   Any suggestions to fix this?
Also, can there be a setting allowing the users to set  independent punctuation levels for the audio rules?
I shall be grateful for any feedback.
 

--
Regards,
Sociohack



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Andre Fisher
 

Hi.

Remember OneCore and SAPI5 are two different sets of voices (mobile vs. desktop). So they have different sets of voices. As it relates to the Phonetic Punctuation add-on, an ellipses (...) is sent to the synthesizer for processing by default when the symbol levels are set to None and Some (below Most). Go into the Symbol Pronunciation dialog and configure it to never be passed to the synth.

Akshaya Choudhary
 

 

Hello Quentin,

NVDA automatically switches between synthesizers when I have more than one configuration profiles.  For example, If I have set One Core as my synthesizer, then NVDA will automatically switch to Espeak when I interact with my Windows and related applications. It goes back to One Core when I’m interacting with NVDA settings itself, reading a document or while browsing the internet.   The situation is similar with any synthesizer set as default. And, I can observe this same issue on NVDA 19.2.1 installed on my system and NVDA 20.1 which I sometimes use as a portable version. I reported the issue once on this list and was told by someone that the code for configuration profile is buggy. It would be great if you could help in any way.

 



--
Regards,
Sociohack

Akshaya Choudhary
 

 Thank you, Andre. It worked!
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Quentin Christensen
 

Are you saying that if you are using OneCore as your default synthesizer, if you create a profile for say, Word, which uses eSpeak, if you are using Word, and open an NVDA dialog (eg NVDA+control+g to change settings), NVDA then changes to OneCore while working in the NVDA dialog?  If so, that is expected - the profile is triggered by the current program - in this case, the program has changed to NVDA so it uses the configuration profile set for NVDA itself (the normal profile unless you've set an NVDA specific profile).  Similarly, in the same situation, if you alt+tab from one Word window to another word window (holding alt down long enough to show the alt+tab window) - the voice will revert to OneCore while reading that alt+tab dialog, as that is a different program, even though conceptually you are moving from one Microsoft Word window to another.


On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:21 PM Akshaya Choudhary <acsociopath@...> wrote:
 

 

Hello Quentin,

NVDA automatically switches between synthesizers when I have more than one configuration profiles.  For example, If I have set One Core as my synthesizer, then NVDA will automatically switch to Espeak when I interact with my Windows and related applications. It goes back to One Core when I’m interacting with NVDA settings itself, reading a document or while browsing the internet.   The situation is similar with any synthesizer set as default. And, I can observe this same issue on NVDA 19.2.1 installed on my system and NVDA 20.1 which I sometimes use as a portable version. I reported the issue once on this list and was told by someone that the code for configuration profile is buggy. It would be great if you could help in any way.

 



--
Regards,
Sociohack



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Akshaya Choudhary
 

Oh Okay! It turns out that I didn't understand how configuration profiles work. Thank you for providing some clarity Quentin. I also went back and read your previous posts on configuration profiles, they really helped. Thank you for your time and effort.

--
Regards,
Sociohack

Quentin Christensen
 

You're welcome :)  Configuration profiles are one of those things which are really useful but not as readily understood.  I must put it on my list to make a video or something about!

Quentin.

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 7:17 PM Akshaya Choudhary <acsociopath@...> wrote:
Oh Okay! It turns out that I didn't understand how configuration profiles work. Thank you for providing some clarity Quentin. I also went back and read your previous posts on configuration profiles, they really helped. Thank you for your time and effort.

--
Regards,
Sociohack



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Akshaya Choudhary
 

One more thing, Quentin. Since I’m experimenting with Phonetic Punctuation add-on, I created a profile for the same and set it to manual activation. To  use the add-on as per my preference, I changed the punctuation level for left quote, right quote, and bang. Now, when I switch to normal profile, it has a different synthesizer and Phonetic Punctuations is turned off, like I want and like I set it to be. But, the change in the punctuation levels of one profile is carried to the other profile. I would like to have different punctuation settings for these two profiles. How can I achieve this?

In short, I wish to have a profile with Phonetic Punctuation turned on, which I can manually activate, and which has its own punctuation settings. I wish to use this profile as an alternate to the normal profile, and thus don’t want it to be tied to a single application.

 


--
Regards,
Sociohack

Akshaya Choudhary
 

Okay, I'm finding out that no matter what i do, the symbol/punctuation levels from one profile are carried over to the other. Is this an issue with NVDA in general, or with my copy in particular? It seems counter intuitive that two different profiles cannot have two different sets of punctuation settings.
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Andre Fisher
 

Hi.

This is because Symbol Pronunciation settings are not profile specific. They work the same across all profiles and the normal configuration, similar to dictionaries.

Quentin Christensen
 

If you run NVDA without the add-on does the symbol level work as it should?  As you indicated, setting the punctuation level in a configuration profile should only affect that profile.

If you DON'T specify a particular setting in a configuration profile, and then change it in the normal profile, it will carry over, but if you then change it in the profile, it will take the profile setting.  To demonstrate:

1. using the normal profile.  Set the punctuation level to all
2. Create a profile and activate it.
3. Don't touch the punctuation level, but read something - all punctuation is read.
4. deactivate the profile.
5. Set punctuation level to none.
6. Activate the profile again.
7. Read something, punctuation level is set to none.
8. Set punctuation level to some.
9. Deactivate the profile.  Punctuation level returns to all (as set in the normal profile).
10. Activate the profile, punctuation level back to some.


On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 12:36 AM Akshaya Choudhary <acsociopath@...> wrote:

One more thing, Quentin. Since I’m experimenting with Phonetic Punctuation add-on, I created a profile for the same and set it to manual activation. To  use the add-on as per my preference, I changed the punctuation level for left quote, right quote, and bang. Now, when I switch to normal profile, it has a different synthesizer and Phonetic Punctuations is turned off, like I want and like I set it to be. But, the change in the punctuation levels of one profile is carried to the other profile. I would like to have different punctuation settings for these two profiles. How can I achieve this?

In short, I wish to have a profile with Phonetic Punctuation turned on, which I can manually activate, and which has its own punctuation settings. I wish to use this profile as an alternate to the normal profile, and thus don’t want it to be tied to a single application.

 


--
Regards,
Sociohack



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Akshaya Choudhary
 


If you DON'T specify a particular setting in a configuration profile, and then change it in the normal profile, it will carry over, but if you then change it in the profile, it will take the profile setting.  To demonstrate:

This is very bothersome. This basically means whenever you change anything in the normal profile, it will carry over to the other profiles you have created.

 

The steps you laid out work perfectly well, Quentin. Just one correction, in step 9 the punctuation level will return to “none”, not to “all”.

This didn’t help with what I was trying to do though. I wanted to change the individual symbol level of some punctuations, but, as it turns out, individual symbol levels of punctuations are global settings. Andre Fisher is correct in this regard.  For example, if you change the symbol level of left and right quotes in a new profile, it will carry over to the normal profile as well.

On the bright side,  I realise, if you send the punctuations to the synthesizer in the punctuation and symbols dialogue box, and you have audio rules set for these punctuations in the Phonetic Punctuation add-on,  then you will hear the set audio rule. So, effectively you can replace punctuations with audio sounds by sending the punctuations to the synthesizer without fiddling with the overall symbol level setting. This is what I was trying to do all this while. Got to learn a lot of things and finally managed to achieve the intended effect. Thank you guys!

 


Regards,
Sociohack

Quentin Christensen
 

How often do you change different settings though?  If you change the speech rate in normal, yes, it will change it for the profile you setup for, say Word - but if you then change it in Word, it will stay at what you set, even if you go back to your normal profile and change the speech rate again.

If you think it's really a problem, do create an issue for it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new/choose

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 1:44 AM Akshaya Choudhary <acsociopath@...> wrote:

If you DON'T specify a particular setting in a configuration profile, and then change it in the normal profile, it will carry over, but if you then change it in the profile, it will take the profile setting.  To demonstrate:

This is very bothersome. This basically means whenever you change anything in the normal profile, it will carry over to the other profiles you have created.

 

The steps you laid out work perfectly well, Quentin. Just one correction, in step 9 the punctuation level will return to “none”, not to “all”.

This didn’t help with what I was trying to do though. I wanted to change the individual symbol level of some punctuations, but, as it turns out, individual symbol levels of punctuations are global settings. Andre Fisher is correct in this regard.  For example, if you change the symbol level of left and right quotes in a new profile, it will carry over to the normal profile as well.

On the bright side,  I realise, if you send the punctuations to the synthesizer in the punctuation and symbols dialogue box, and you have audio rules set for these punctuations in the Phonetic Punctuation add-on,  then you will hear the set audio rule. So, effectively you can replace punctuations with audio sounds by sending the punctuations to the synthesizer without fiddling with the overall symbol level setting. This is what I was trying to do all this while. Got to learn a lot of things and finally managed to achieve the intended effect. Thank you guys!

 


Regards,
Sociohack



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager