locked A History of ETI Eloquence

Chris Smart

Simone Dal Maso

and now, on 2021, I still use Eloquence onb my pc.
Perhaps it is not the best synthesizer for reading books, compared
with the high quality voices of these years, but for working it is
simply the best.
So, for me it is simply awesome to have the opportunity to thank you
for all your work.
You changed the life of visual impaired people, be happy of your life!

Simone Dal Maso
www.nvapple.it
www.nvda.it

Gene

I have no idea if the person who wrote this article is on the list.  I doubt it.  it is a very interesting article.

Gene

On 9/3/2021 9:19 AM, Simone Dal Maso wrote:
and now, on 2021, I still use Eloquence onb my pc.
Perhaps it is not the best synthesizer for reading books, compared
with the high quality voices of these years, but for working it is
simply the best.
So, for me it is simply awesome to have the opportunity to thank you
for all your work.
You changed the life of visual impaired people, be happy of your life!

https://amhistory.si.edu/archives/speechsynthesis/ss_hert.htm

David Csercsics

I'm surprised the eloquence code still runs anywhere. Do you suppose it will break for Windows 11, when everyone updates to 64-bit only? Does anyone have the current source code? In any case, thanks for the fascinating article. It seems to be the speediest synth we currently have access to, unless you count ESpeak-NG with the rate boost. So good work for that. I find the rate boost adds weird distortion, does anyone else notice this? Or did I miss something.

Chris Smart

Doubt it. Yeah, I thought that was funny, the person responding as if the author was actually going to see it.

Seriously though, if we had a way to contact her, she might be astonished to find out just how many blind people are using, and greatly prefer, the fruits of all of that labor.

I have no idea if the person who wrote this article is on the list. I doubt it. it is a very interesting article.

Gene

On 9/3/2021 9:19 AM, Simone Dal Maso wrote:
and now, on 2021, I still use Eloquence onb my pc.
Perhaps it is not the best synthesizer for reading books, compared
with the high quality voices of these years, but for working it is
simply the best.
So, for me it is simply awesome to have the opportunity to thank you
for all your work.
You changed the life of visual impaired people, be happy of your life!

https://amhistory.si.edu/archives/speechsynthesis/ss_hert.htm

Gene

I don’t see any reason to use rate boost.  You can get the synthesizer to speak at ;perhaps 500 words per minute or faster without it.

Sent: Friday, September 03, 2021 10:30 AM

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 11:30 AM, David Csercsics wrote:
Do you suppose it will break for Windows 11, when everyone updates to 64-bit only?
-
32-bit code has, and will continue to, run under 64-bit for the foreseeable future.

And, with that addition, this topic is locked.  It's already begun to stray, badly.  The original message was not problematic as the history of synths is, very broadly construed, on topic.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.