a particular app

brice Mijares

I can't remember the name of this app where you could  use your arrow keys and hear the letters alpha for A B for bravo ETC. Would some kind sole refresh my memory of this app? Thank You.

Monte Single

Hi Bryce,

It is not an app; it is a feature of nvda itself.
I use it often as my hearing is not the best and I want to know the exact spelling of a name or word.

So, say I come across the word Banff, as in Banff national park in alberta.
And I think was that an "f" or an :s:?
I use the right arrow to land on the letter I am not sure of, and press the down arrow twice quickly. That it, you will hear the alpha bravo equivalent.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of brice Mijares
Sent: May 26, 2022 12:36 PM
To: nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] a particular app

I can't remember the name of this app where you could use your arrow keys and hear the letters alpha for A B for bravo ETC. Would some kind sole refresh my memory of this app? Thank You.

Also:  

Enhanced Phonetic Reading (EnhancedPhoneticReading)
add-on

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Sarah k Alawami

I use an an add on actually to do this, enhanced phonetic reading which is not compatible with this version of nvda, and nor is the history add on. woops?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2022 1:19 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] a particular app

Hi Bryce,

I use it often as my hearing is not the best and I want to know the exact spelling of a name or word.

I use the right arrow to land on the letter I am not sure of, and press the down arrow twice quickly. That it, you will hear the alpha bravo equivalent.

I can't remember the name of this app where you could use your arrow keys and hear the letters alpha for A B for bravo ETC. Would some kind sole refresh my memory of this app? Thank You.

brice Mijares

Monte, this does not work for me, it just moves me down 2 lines. I am starting to think I may have silenced NVDA and brought up narrator to get alpha, Bravo

charlie  for the letters. Thanks.

On 5/26/2022 1:18 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Gene

It isn't the down arrow on the main keyboard.  It is 2 on the numpad.  I don't know the laptop command.  2 on the numpadd when used with NVDA reads the current character and pressing  it twice says the phonetic name such as Charlie for c.

Gene

On 5/26/2022 3:30 PM, brice Mijares wrote:
Monte, this does not work for me, it just moves me down 2 lines. I am starting to think I may have silenced NVDA and brought up narrator to get alpha, Bravo

Hi Bryce,

It is not an app;  it is a feature of nvda itself.
I use it often as my hearing  is not the best and I want  to know the exact spelling of a name or word.

So, say   I come across the word Banff, as in Banff national park in alberta.
I use the right arrow to land on the letter I am not sure of, and press the down arrow twice quickly.  That it,  you will hear  the alpha bravo equivalent.

I can't remember the name of this app where you could  use your arrow keys and hear the letters alpha for A B for bravo ETC. Would some kind sole refresh my memory of this app? Thank You.

Sarah k Alawami

I’m going to have to grab that. I thought that was going to be picked up by nvda updator but I guess not.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2022 1:21 PM

Also:  

add-on

--

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.

brice Mijares

Thanks Brian, I believe that is the one I had.

On 5/26/2022 1:20 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Also:

<https://nvda-addons.org/addon.php?id=13>
add-on

--

Brian -Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

*/You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
/*     ~ Ursula LeGuin, /The Dispossessed/

brice Mijares

Bummer, no wonder it no longer works. Thank you.

On 5/26/2022 1:23 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I use an an add on actually to do this, enhanced phonetic reading which is not compatible with this version of nvda, and nor is the history add on. woops?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2022 1:19 PM

Hi Bryce,

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

The following add on works with nvdda 2022.1 at the moment. It can be gotten from my drop box at https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jg8jvhmm354t65/EnhancedPhoneticReading-1.1.2-dev.nvda-addon?dl=1

If you are talking about the numeric keypad on the desk top version pressing the number 2 will do that.

The number 5 will do the word if done 3 times.

Hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 27/05/2022 6:36 am, brice Mijares wrote:

brice Mijares

Thanks Gene, that works for me.

On 5/26/2022 1:33 PM, Gene wrote:
It isn't the down arrow on the main keyboard.  It is 2 on the numpad.  I don't know the laptop command.  2 on the numpadd when used with NVDA reads the current character and pressing  it twice says the phonetic name such as Charlie for c.

Gene

Hi Bryce,

I use it often as my hearing  is not the best and I want  to know the exact spelling of a name or word.

I use the right arrow to land on the letter I am not sure of, and press the down arrow twice quickly.  That it,  you will hear  the alpha bravo equivalent.

brice Mijares

Thanks, no need for the app, using 2 and 5 will do the job. Again, Thanks

On 5/26/2022 1:44 PM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi

The following add on works with nvdda 2022.1 at the moment. It can be gotten from my drop box at https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jg8jvhmm354t65/EnhancedPhoneticReading-1.1.2-dev.nvda-addon?dl=1

If you are talking about the numeric keypad on the desk top version pressing the number 2 will do that.

Hope it helps.

Gene nz

Sarah k Alawami

Yep I got it as well. This should be deemed as an official add on, it is that good and all you need to is stop on the letter and it just says alpha, bravo, etc. It is very very useful, and does come in handy.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

On 26 May 2022, at 13:34, brice Mijares wrote:

Thanks Brian, I believe that is the one I had.

On 5/26/2022 1:20 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Also:

<https://nvda-addons.org/addon.php?id=13>
add-on

--

Brian -Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

*/You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
/*     ~ Ursula LeGuin, /The Dispossessed/

Sarah k Alawami

Yep that is the one on the nvda add on store under the dev build. I installed it and it appears to work, will have to try again when I turn on my computer in a few hours.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

On 26 May 2022, at 13:44, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

Hope it helps.

Gene nz

Richard Wells

Here is a revision of this add-on that will work with NVDA 2022.1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhn0xflelvskwsa/EnhancedPhoneticReading-1.0.nvda-addon?dl=1

On 5/26/2022 3:34 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I’m going to have to grab that. I thought that was going to be picked up by nvda updator but I guess not.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2022 1:21 PM

Also:  

add-on

--

Betsy Grenevitch

I am missing some information here. Do you have to push the NVDA key to get this to work or does it not work in email? I have tried it a couple of times and have not been able to succeed. Thanks.

On 5/26/2022 4:18 PM, Monte Single rote:

Hi Bryce,

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

OK, thanks. Ignore my previous message. I should have read further before writing.

On 5/26/2022 4:33 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Hi Bryce,

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Gene

If you aren't using the add-on, move to the letter you want announced using the usual arrow keys.  Move the same way you move through a document at any time.  Then, when you are on the letter, press numpad 2 twice quickly.  The second time, you will hear the phonetic announcement of a letter, such as Charlie for c.

Gene

On 5/27/2022 11:58 AM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
I am missing some information here. Do you have to push the NVDA key to get this to work or does it not work in email? I have tried it a couple of times and have not been able to succeed. Thanks.

Hi Bryce,

Quentin Christensen

For those using NVDA in laptop keyboard layout, the equivalent keyboard shortcut is NVDA+. (NVDA+full stop).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 3:17 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
If you aren't using the add-on, move to the letter you want announced using the usual arrow keys.  Move the same way you move through a document at any time.  Then, when you are on the letter, press numpad 2 twice quickly.  The second time, you will hear the phonetic announcement of a letter, such as Charlie for c.

Gene

On 5/27/2022 11:58 AM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:

Hi Bryce,

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager