Topics

A Possible Bug with NVDA Find Function

Hi,
Apparently, even though with the checkbox about upper and lowercase letters unchecked, NVDA is behaving the same way as though it's checked.

Can someone confirm this?

NVDA 2019.1

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Not for me.  If I search for "NVda"  (Capital N and V, lowercase d and a) in your previous message I get no results if the checkbox for case sensitive is checked.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

Brian,
If I search for "NVda"  (Capital N and V, lowercase d and a) in your previous message I get no results if the checkbox for case sensitive is checked.
Well, so far we're on the same page. I just tested with my message and my results are the same as yours.
Could you try it on a webpage?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Luke Davis

Can you describe your situation a little more?

What program are you trying to search?
Are you using control+f, or control+NVDA+f?

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019, Marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi,
Apparently, even though with the checkbox about upper and lowercase letters unchecked, NVDA is behaving the same way as though it's checked.
Can someone confirm this?
NVDA 2019.1
Cheers,
Marcio
AKA Starboy
--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much
more!

Luke Davis

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019, Marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Well, so far we're on the same page. I just tested with my message and my results are the same as yours.
Could you try it on a webpage?
Using Firefox, I went to https://addons.nvda-project.org
Using NVDA find (NVDA+control+f), I searched for "nvda", with case sensitivity. I found only one. Pressing NVDA+F3 after the first one, gets me a ding, and no more results message.
Unchecking case sensitivity, gets me many more results.

I tested in NVDA 2019.1.1, and latest beta of 2019.2.

What browser, site, and search text are you using?

Luke

Luke,
What browser, site, and search text are you using?
I'm using Firefox. I've tried to search through my emails using the web interface.
I was searching for a name, and typing it with lowercase letters yield no results at all. When I tried searching for it with the first letter being an uppercase I found what I was searching for.
Apparently though this isn't a generalized situation and that's good. Now I only need to find out what's going on here.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Are you positive it's the NVDA search you're getting there?

On the Gmail webpage, if I hit NVDA+Ctrl+F I do get the NVDA search, and it finds what is shown on the page itself (as in if the word is either in the sender's name or the subject of the message) but it does not search the content of the messages themselves (or at least doesn't appear to, which is what I'd expect).   If I hit F3 after an NVDA Find, what comes up is the regular "Gmail find," which is different in behavior even from a typical webpage find as it searches not only what you can see on the screen but the content of the messages themselves.

There could be some sort of "mixed search mechanisms" situation going on here.

--

~ André Gide

Brian,
Well, to be honest, no, I'm not sure. How can I make sure that's the case?

And, in case it's not, any way to force NVDA to "take control" of this thing? :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Gene

When searching an opened message, if you are reading e-mail as HTML, you will be in browse mode and the same search commands apply as when on the Internet.  I don't know if any e-mail programs cause you to be in browse mode when you read mail as plain text.  Windows Live Mail doesn't. 

Did you start this thread because you had different behavior in the same contexts with earlier versions of NVDA?  If so, that would indicate a change.  If you are using a different context now, we need to know just what you are comparing with what.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] A Possible Bug with NVDA Find Function

Brian,
Well, to be honest, no, I'm not sure. How can I make sure that's the case?

And, in case it's not, any way to force NVDA to "take control" of this thing? :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Gene,
Did you start this thread because you had different behavior in the same contexts with earlier versions of NVDA?
I don't know, as in earlier versions of NVDA i wasn't used to use this function.
All I know is that now, with NVDA 2019.1, I'm getting this behavior.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Marcio,

I'm going to stick with Gmail as my example.  It would be helpful, if it's happening on a site that does not require login, if you would give the URL where you're having problems.

If I am in the Gmail inbox, if I fire up NVDA Find, the announcement from NVDA is, "Find dialog, type in text you wish to find," while if I fire up the browser find NVDA says, "Find in page inbox, " followed by more verbiage.   If I'm in the Sent box, then substitute "sent" for "inbox."   The announcement for the NVDA find is invariant.

As far as I can tell, and this is what I'd expect, the NVDA find is looking for the text you give it, with or without case sensitivity depending on your checkbox state, on the page being displayed in the browser.   The same is true of the web browser search itself.   The same is not true if you use the Search Mail box that's part of the Gmail page, which will search all e-mail messages in sender, subject, and message bodies for each message.

Without literally seeing what's happening, or having some way to know definitively what you're doing via other means, I can't say much more.

--

~ André Gide