From: Bobby Vinton
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:20 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] a question about the new edge browser

Hay I was wondering if the new edge will just come to my computer or

will I have to down load the browser.  Edge comes out this Wednesday.

that's why I am asking.  Just let me know.

Starting tomorrow, they will roll out the update for the Edge browser. It will come through Windows Update.

On 1/14/2020 8:20 PM, Bobby Vinton wrote:
Hay I was wondering if the new edge will just come to my computer or will I have to down load the browser.  Edge comes out this Wednesday. that's why I am asking.  Just let me know.

To be honest I am happy they didn't role all of it out today.

I have been spending most of the morning updating 2 laptops and 2 desktop units.

In these I had codecs, java, flash, windows update and store updates as well as office and some gps updates.

In addition some of these units like my laptop and one of the desktops had spaciffic driver updates and its taken me 4 hours so its good its tomorrow.

On 15/01/2020 3:03 pm, Governor staten wrote:

Starting tomorrow, they will roll out the update for the Edge browser. It will come through Windows Update.

On 1/14/2020 8:20 PM, Bobby Vinton wrote:
Hay I was wondering if the new edge will just come to my computer or will I have to down load the browser.  Edge comes out this Wednesday. that's why I am asking.  Just let me know.

Hareth

It hasn't been bundled with windows update as expected here.
had to look for it and found the online installer from the stable
channel link, It did replace the old ugly edge.
Here is the URL:
https://c2rsetup.officeapps.live.com/c2r/downloadEdge.aspx?ProductreleaseID=Edge&platform=Default&version=Edge&source=EdgeInsiderPage&Channel=Stable&language=en

On 1/15/20, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:
To be honest I am happy they didn't role all of it out today.

I have been spending most of the morning updating 2 laptops and 2
desktop units.

In these I had codecs, java, flash, windows update and store updates as
well as office and some gps updates.

In addition some of these units like my laptop and one of the desktops
had spaciffic driver updates and its taken me 4 hours so its good its
tomorrow.

On 15/01/2020 3:03 pm, Governor staten wrote:

Starting tomorrow, they will roll out the update for the Edge browser.
It will come through Windows Update.

On 1/14/2020 8:20 PM, Bobby Vinton wrote:
Hay I was wondering if the new edge will just come to my computer or
will I have to down load the browser.  Edge comes out this Wednesday.
that's why I am asking.  Just let me know.

Hi all.

On the subject of edge, it may come past in the next update pass.

It is supposed to be out today.

Usually updates come out between 5 am and 8 am new zealand time, equate that to your timezone.

There is a windowsupdate twitter and blog which will tell you to.

Currently if I search for edge I get a page which states thats its almost there.

I'm not going to push it if it doesn't.

Yes you can install edge stable yourself, and you can also just as quickly remove it.

I'd wait for the full system integrated  version myself.

There are a few pinned icons and links to word and other microsoft online things to manage when you do at least with the stable version.

Some of these I do not personally like.

It does seam that you will have to make sure you reset your internet brouser though after install as things became a little messed up after install when I did it.

It will be interesting what this eventually does.

For myself I do wander things like what chrome will do and the differences between it and chrome will truely be.

Most people in the house are chrome users and I am a waterfox user and this will not change that much as everything we have is up there.

I fully presume microsoft edge will only allow native connection to microsoft services but who knows.

Loy

Updates usually are not posted until after 9 AM and the Edge update will not happen for everyone at the same time.

Hareth

Loy,
I got the monthly update the list doesn't contain the new edge.
Installed all of them, restarted PC, still no new edge.
The new online installer did it, Its definitely a big plus over the
old edge browser.
BTW, the last beta build number, is the same as it is with the stable one.

The difference is, the stable build replace the old system edge.

On 1/15/20, Loy <loyrg2845@...> wrote:
Updates usually are not posted until after 9 AM and the Edge update will not

happen for everyone at the same time.

Hareth

Got the regular windows update installed, no new edge.
I did some lookup and found the online installer for it:
https://c2rsetup.officeapps.live.com/c2r/downloadEdge.aspx?ProductreleaseID=Edge&platform=Default&version=Edge&source=EdgeInsiderPage&Channel=Stable&language=en

For sure, it did install the stable new edge and replaces the old one.
Enjoy.

[...]

When it comes to any update of any sort from Microsoft, there's nothing more definitive than the source material from them.  There is an official support document entitled, Blocker Toolkit to disable automatic delivery of Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based), that states:  "To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft will distribute Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) to Home and Pro Edition devices running Windows 10 version 1803 and newer via Windows Update. This process will start after January 15th, 2020 and more information will be available on that date."   I have not actually been able to find that "more information" today.

The blocker is not intended for home use, but by organizations that need to defer the installation of "New Edge."  "Old Edge" is on its way out, and if you're offered the update definitely take it.  The Chromium-based version of Edge is far more accessible than the original Edge ever was.

Loy is correct that like anything delivered via Windows Update it will not be a "flash cut" to every Windows 10 user in a very short period of time.  The New Edge will be rolled out like other updates that aren't security patches so that Microsoft can monitor system health telemetry to determine if issues arise.  If my experience with Edge Dev is any indicator, there won't be any for the vast majority of Windows 10 users.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Hi

Ok guys go to www.microsoft.com/edge

Its out if you can't wait.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 12:24 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Its out if you can't wait.
Not that I'd tell anyone they must for the New Edge, as the Insider previews have been rock solid for me and others I know using them, but I'm going to wait it out just to see how long it takes for Windows Update to fetch it for me.  I'll also be curious to see what one might get asked as far as importing favorites, but it will probably just import from the existing "old" Edge favorites.

I'll continue using Edge Dev until it shows up via Windows Update.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

Kevin Cussick

Hi, will do the same for the same reasons given.

On 15/01/2020 17:48, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 12:24 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Its out if you can't wait.
Not that I'd tell anyone they must for the New Edge, as the Insider previews have been rock solid for me and others I know using them, but I'm going to wait it out just to see how long it takes for Windows Update to fetch it for me.  I'll also be curious to see what one might get asked as far as importing favorites, but it will probably just import from the existing "old" Edge favorites.
I'll continue using Edge Dev until it shows up via Windows Update.
~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Sounds like you have 2 versions of it on your computer both the dev version which is more like the alfas and the beta version.

There was a link which I will post that come across the list for the stable version at https://c2rsetup.officeapps.live.com/c2r/downloadEdge.aspx?ProductreleaseID=Edge&platform=Default&version=Edge&source=EdgeInsiderPage&Channel=Stable&language=en

It is for the chromium version of it.

You could then uninstall the other 2 versions under add/remove programs or what ever it is called in your version of windows.

It should also import your settings etc.

i am using it now at present.

I think if you have windows 10 and nvda 2019.3 beta 2 you are right to go.

But if i remember right if you are using nvda 2019.2.1 you need to get the dev version of windows esentuals for it to work on that version?

There was also a small tutorial on how to turn off UIA or what ever it was called in edge.

Gene nz

Gene nz