acapela not working on sign on screen with NVDA

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

Hi

Ok I bought acapela voices, got my key and activated it. But when I return to windows 10 sign-on screen, NvDA comes on, with Microsoft david, and it says the acapela evaluation has expired, please activate. So I log in, and then NVDA comes on and it speaks using my now activated acapela Colibri Sharon voice. Why won’t it also work on the windows gin-on screen? If and because its now activated with my license key, should it not work wherever I am at in windows? Even at sign-on? I have noticed that the voices do load generally slower and are a bit less responsive than codeFactory voices. Other than that they are ok.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows

Chris

Because you have to click on the use currently saved settings on secure screens and signin

Under general settings

Job done!

Ok I bought acapela voices, got my key and activated it. But when I return to windows 10 sign-on screen, NvDA comes on, with Microsoft david, and it says the acapela evaluation has expired, please activate. So I log in, and then NVDA comes on and it speaks using my now activated acapela Colibri Sharon voice. Why won’t it also work on the windows gin-on screen? If and because its now activated with my license key, should it not work wherever I am at in windows? Even at sign-on? I have noticed that the voices do load generally slower and are a bit less responsive than codeFactory voices. Other than that they are ok.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows

Kenny Cheung

How did you get it to work? did you have to buy the thing?

On 10/16/21 12:30, Josh Kennedy wrote:

Hi

Ok I bought acapela voices, got my key and activated it. But when I return to windows 10 sign-on screen, NvDA comes on, with Microsoft david, and it says the acapela evaluation has expired, please activate. So I log in, and then NVDA comes on and it speaks using my now activated acapela Colibri Sharon voice. Why won’t it also work on the windows gin-on screen? If and because its now activated with my license key, should it not work wherever I am at in windows? Even at sign-on? I have noticed that the voices do load generally slower and are a bit less responsive than codeFactory voices. Other than that they are ok.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

even after I bought the acapela voices got my key and activated I still have the same issue where NVDA freezes, I have to load narrator and shift f10 on the NVDA system tray icon and it either makes me choose something from the NVDA context menu or puts me back on the desktop, at which point NVDA unfreezes and starts talking using acapela voices. Not sure why this is. I already wrote to acapela support but its the weekend so may not hear back until Monday. At this point I doubt its anything to do with the IBM-tts driver or any other synth for that matter... may have something to do with the acapela addon interacting with NVDA somehow. Now once I get it unfroze and talking it works just fine.

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

I did that. when I rebooted it said trial expired with the microsoft david voice. and yes acapela voices are activated with my key and when I go and check under my acapela account it says I am using 1 of 3 activations.

Richard Wells

Josh: Have you used preferences/settings/Use currently saved settings during sign-in and on secure screens (requires administrator privileges) to write your Acapela parameters to the elevated Windows area?

On 10/16/2021 11:30 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

Hi

Ok I bought acapela voices, got my key and activated it. But when I return to windows 10 sign-on screen, NvDA comes on, with Microsoft david, and it says the acapela evaluation has expired, please activate. So I log in, and then NVDA comes on and it speaks using my now activated acapela Colibri Sharon voice. Why won’t it also work on the windows gin-on screen? If and because its now activated with my license key, should it not work wherever I am at in windows? Even at sign-on? I have noticed that the voices do load generally slower and are a bit less responsive than codeFactory voices. Other than that they are ok.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows

Vlad Dragomir

Josh,

I’ve been having the same issue ever since I’ve bought the add-on. I also sent them emails and detailed logs and no one bothered to get back to me. Let’s hope you’ll have more luck. Please keep us informed if things change for you. I ended up uninstalling the add-on and giving up on it, considering the money spent on it lost.

Have a nice weekend,

Vlad.

Kenny Cheung

I don't think I want to buy from them if they're not responding. I sent them a followup email last Tuesday and no response.

Kenny

On 10/17/21 3:17, Vlad Dragomir wrote:

Josh,

I’ve been having the same issue ever since I’ve bought the add-on. I also sent them emails and detailed logs and no one bothered to get back to me. Let’s hope you’ll have more luck. Please keep us informed if things change for you. I ended up uninstalling the add-on and giving up on it, considering the money spent on it lost.

Have a nice weekend,

Vlad.

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

well so far, no response from acapela support. I may try finding someone from their company on linkedin and maybe try contacting them that way.

Kenny Cheung

Hey,
I was able to get the voices to work. I had to exclude the NVDA folder in %appdata% for malware bytes to not detect it as a virus.

Sent from Kenny’s iPhone

On Oct 18, 2021, at 08:51, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

well so far, no response from acapela support. I may try finding someone from their company on linkedin and maybe try contacting them that way.

Hmph, one reason not to get that software then.

To be honest I have often wandered about getting something better than microsoft defender but have not done so.

I have bgt programs, old visual basic programs and stuff microsoft chooses to detect as problematic.

So I have excluded my data drive, and my 2 backups which are used for backups as well as several folders on my hard drive, mostly programs.

So any blind game, or any blindness related anything is excluded because I just don't trust defender that much.

Even with this done I have had to manually exclude and allow certain files through manually.

And for now that works.

Sometimes if I need to keep the backups in for a longer time than normal, I turn off protection completely, do my business then turn it back on again.

The backups generally are not on for more than 10 minutes a day if that sometimes barely a minute or 2.

I have no real trust for antivirus or anti malware software and if I could do without it I probably would.

Thing is I know I need it, but its annoying enough that I have read several hacker articles to make it not work ever again.

Every time its gotten bad I have seriously conciddered making it go away for ever!

I have always managed to get round the issue in a round about way but even so I am glad its foollishness has not spread to my data drive.

I guess if push came to shove I could say no to several older apps and that would be the end of it but when it hits a lot of software who knows.

I have of course reported several apps when I had the last issues but doubt microsoft security ever read those as I never got any responce.

There isn't anything going on anymore but I am to scared to test that theory.

Plus my experience with microsoft has really make me mistrustfull of bits of it.