accenting letters

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

What do I need to do to accent a letter. I tried what google suggested, pressing ctrl+(apostrophe) then quickly releasing and pressing the letter. this doesn't seem to work.

*********
family Times weekly Movie times

go to Doc's Stream
Ask Miss A to play family times on tuneIn
You can also find family times on OoTunes.

walking in VictoryI welcome all that are interested in joining our devotionals on Monday thru saturdays at 8am EST. join the devotion channel.
Also, there is a weekly bible study at 8pm EST in the Walking with Jesus channel.

Add the following information in your TeamTalk
host address: wiv.wrighthere.net
TCP/UDP ports: 10333

entry name: walking in Victory
tab twice and press space on Add/update

JM Casey

Hey Robert.

Every accented letter will have a different character code. They are each their own symbol; you don’t “add the accents to letters”, as such, as far as the pC is concerned.

So, for the specific accent you want, you can look up the character code (alt code) on the web (or in the windows character map if you can figure it out – it’s gotten a bit more complicated since the XP days and I think I’ve more or less given up on it)…and enter it.

I usually do this by turning the numlock on on my number pad, and entering in the code while holding down the alt key.

So for example, for an e acute, I would enter alt 130.

There are different encoding systems so there are several ways of getting the same characters. But this method works for most common accented letters.

What do I need to do to accent a letter. I tried what google suggested, pressing ctrl+(apostrophe) then quickly releasing and pressing the letter. this doesn't seem to work.

*********
family Times weekly Movie times

go to Doc's Stream
Ask Miss A to play family times on tuneIn
You can also find family times on OoTunes.

walking in VictoryI welcome all that are interested in joining our devotionals on Monday thru saturdays at 8am EST. join the devotion channel.
Also, there is a weekly bible study at 8pm EST in the Walking with Jesus channel.

Add the following information in your TeamTalk
host address: wiv.wrighthere.net
TCP/UDP ports: 10333

entry name: walking in Victory
tab twice and press space on Add/update

Quentin Christensen

You can hold down ALT, type a number and release alt.  For instance, to type an "a acute", á, press alt, type the numbers 0 2 2 5 and let go.  Here's a chart: https://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/windows/codealt/

If you have to type a particular letter regularly, you will likely get used to that sequence.  For instance, I've used the British pound symbol a few times, and remember that it is alt 1 5 6: £.

In some cases, you might find creating a reference file you can quickly access to pull up commonly used symbols.  EG if you work with a lot of different currencies, or music symbols.

If you need to type the letters from a particular language regularly, then you can set Windows up to use the keyboard for that language in Windows Language settings, then you can switch between them with WINDOWS+spacebar.

Regards

Quentin.
Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Although all who have mentioned that accented characters are indeed separate characters with separate character codes, and that these can be inserted using the ALT+ unicode method, there are programs, MS-Word being one, where you can get these by entering "the accent mark sequence," usually CTRL+ the accent mark you want, BEFORE typing the character upon which you want that accent placed.

See:

Keyboard shortcuts to add language accent marks in Word

or any of a number of the tutorials returned by: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=accented+characters+MS-Word

Word processors (and, maybe, office suite programs in general) make this somewhat easier via "accent followed by character" technique than many other types of programs do, and where the ALT+ unicode is required.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon