Topics

accessible uninstaller

hi all.
is there an accessible uninstaller which works with nvda?
i used to use revo uninstaller but some versions back it was
inaccessible is it the same?
please suggest something.
i would prefer if its portable which can be run without installation.
but even if its not its ok.
i am getting a new laptop and i know it will come with a lot of crap
so i want to remove the crap cleanly.
also what is the solution of uninstalling macaffi i think the
uninstaller asks for a captcha how to get around it.

Tyaseta Rabita Nugraeni Sardjono <tyasetarabita@...>

On 5/19/20, Austin Pinto <@austin> wrote:
hi all.
is there an accessible uninstaller which works with nvda?
i used to use revo uninstaller but some versions back it was
inaccessible is it the same?
please suggest something.
i would prefer if its portable which can be run without installation.
but even if its not its ok.
i am getting a new laptop and i know it will come with a lot of crap
so i want to remove the crap cleanly.
also what is the solution of uninstalling macaffi i think the
uninstaller asks for a captcha how to get around it.

There's 3 options I've found that work well. Ironically, one of the suggestions came from a certain blind website I'll refuse to name, because it's an illegal operation. But, the links below are all legit sources.

  1. Puran Utilities. Very accessible, but hasn't been updated in years. Don't be shocked if it never updates.
  2. Bulk Crap Uninstaller. Mostly accessible, but takes a lot of configuring to have it automate most tasks. IMO, it's junk cleanup is crap, but this is the only option that allows for batch uninstalling and cleaning up Windows 10 Metro apps.
  3. Hi Bit Uninstaller. Very accessible. Updates Frequently. I could never uninstall windows 10 apps with it though, despite it's claim. Typical capitalism. The cleanup process after uninstalls can be automated, but I found it leaving a bunch of registry items it should have removed. So, write to the developer.

Have fun! I hope others have more suggestions.

Kenny

One of the reasons why I keep the JAWS screen reader installed on my PC. It is able to read the interface for Revo Uninstaller  much better then NVDA.

On 5/19/2020 8:32 AM, Austin Pinto wrote:
hi all.
is there an accessible uninstaller which works with nvda?
i used to use revo uninstaller but some versions back it was
inaccessible is it the same?
please suggest something.
i would prefer if its portable which can be run without installation.
but even if its not its ok.
i am getting a new laptop and i know it will come with a lot of crap
so i want to remove the crap cleanly.
also what is the solution of uninstalling macaffi i think the
uninstaller asks for a captcha how to get around it.

Sarah k Alawami

I just use the one built into windows. It works, fine, or rather I use he ones built into the apps that I uninstall.

I hope my watch won't notice as it says do not take it off the charger while the update is happening. woops? I hope I didn't ruin the watch.

On 19 May 2020, at 5:32, Austin Pinto wrote:

hi all.
is there an accessible uninstaller which works with nvda?
i used to use revo uninstaller but some versions back it was
inaccessible is it the same?
please suggest something.
i would prefer if its portable which can be run without installation.
but even if its not its ok.
i am getting a new laptop and i know it will come with a lot of crap
so i want to remove the crap cleanly.
also what is the solution of uninstalling macaffi i think the
uninstaller asks for a captcha how to get around it.

Austin,

             If you're getting a brand new, or even brand new to you, PC the easiest way to get the very cleanest Windows 10 possible is simply to do a completely clean reinstall.  Gets rid of anything and everything an manufacturer loads on it as bloatware.

Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Fetch the Win10 ISO File

Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive

As far as an uninstaller utility, those should not be used unless the uninstaller that comes with a given piece of software fails somehow.  The cleanest uninstall is generally using the dedicated uninstaller for a program that came with it, though there are, of course, exceptions, but relatively few.

Kenny

That's exactly what I did with my new Dell XPS PC. You can't reset it for it will put all the McAfee and other unnecessary factory installed bloatware back. Had to use the Microsoft Media Creation tool to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Worked out perfect for me.

On 5/19/2020 2:12 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Austin,

             If you're getting a brand new, or even brand new to you, PC the easiest way to get the very cleanest Windows 10 possible is simply to do a completely clean reinstall.  Gets rid of anything and everything an manufacturer loads on it as bloatware.

Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Fetch the Win10 ISO File

Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive

As far as an uninstaller utility, those should not be used unless the uninstaller that comes with a given piece of software fails somehow.  The cleanest uninstall is generally using the dedicated uninstaller for a program that came with it, though there are, of course, exceptions, but relatively few.

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 03:28 PM, Kenny wrote:
That's exactly what I did [a completely clean reinstall on a brand-new machine]
It's something that many technicians will do, and if you have an SSD it's an incredibly fast process.  What takes the most time is getting updates that may have been issued since the last ISO building blocks were officially released.  For the ISO for version 1909 I snagged yesterday, the check for additional updates and downloading them took less than 2 minutes.  Mind you, the client had fiber-optic internet, which helps immensely, but you can still get a sense of how much it was snagging, and at this stage in the game with version 1909 it was very little.

Using install media created via the Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tool gets you the most "stripped down and essential" Windows 10 installation you can get.  Even then, take the time to actually review the various screens during setup and tweak to your liking.

At this point I'm going to ask that unless someone wishes to propose another third-party uninstaller that's accessible via NVDA, we take this to the Chat Subgroup if the discussion of getting the cleanest fresh install of Windows 10 requires more discussion.  I'll end with noting you're definitely right, Kenny, that using any manufacturer's restore partition/utility to restore your machine to its "out of the box" state does just that - bloatware and all.

Luke Davis

While I hate to violate Brian's wish to take this to chat, I do feel like I should note a particular point of caution here.

When you are doing a thing like this on some manufacturer's laptops, be aware that you may be losing utilities that control extended features of the hardware for which there is no native Windows control method.

For example, on my MSI gaming laptop (which is a splendid laptop I might add), the MSI SCM utility software, and the MSI Dragon Center, are required to manage things like hardware buttons, keyboard backlighting, battery max charge (to keep it from charging past 80% for supposed better battery longevity), the FN-F4 run program macro, and various other things.

If your laptop has features like this, that are only accessible with a manufacturer supplied utility or group of same, you will probably want to download those again once you're on the other side of your Windows reinstall.
More accurately, you will probably want to make note of where and how to download those again, assuming you can.

(N.B. and no, for the record, MSI's Dragon Center is far from fully accessible with NVDA.)

Luke