Topics

Accessing cell content in Braille in Excel for Office 365

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello all,

Using Office 365 for companies for some months now, I have encountered one problem accessing cell content in Braille.

When I want to edit a shared Excel file and write in a particular cell, opening it with F2, NVDA does not refresh the Braille display and I cannot correct typos with the braille display, only with the speech synthesiser.

I use last NVDA 2020.3 version with Office 365 for businesses.

Is it a known problem of NVDA or should I rather contact Microsoft?

Thank you for any experience some of you may have.

Best

Sylvie

Brian Moore

Hi.  this is strange. Not having this problem with a braille display and a shared sheet shared through corporate one drive.  What display are you using?

Brian.

Contact me on skype: brian.moore
follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123
On 10/19/2020 11:12 AM, Sylvie Duchateau wrote:

Hello all,

Using Office 365 for companies for some months now, I have encountered one problem accessing cell content in Braille.

When I want to edit a shared Excel file and write in a particular cell, opening it with F2, NVDA does not refresh the Braille display and I cannot correct typos with the braille display, only with the speech synthesiser.

I use last NVDA 2020.3 version with Office 365 for businesses.

Is it a known problem of NVDA or should I rather contact Microsoft?

Thank you for any experience some of you may have.

Best

Sylvie

Aine Kelly Costello

In Excel with pressing f2, I can view cell contents in Braille but not use cursor to edit. I can use the Braille keyboard to edit but the Braille doesn't update until I get out of that edit field
With QBraille XL and a recent NVDA alpha
Think this has been the case for a while

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 08:13 AM, Brian Moore wrote:

[...]

This is the same here.

It seems to work better with other screen readers.

May be I should test with former NVDA version to see when this bug has started.

Best

Sylvie

[...]

Louis Maher

Hello,

This problem comes up periodically.  You can try unchecking the box which says “allow editing directly in cells”.  In Excel 365, do this:
Open an Excel spreadsheet.
Type alt + f. Up arrow to options, hit enter. Down arrow to advanced. Tab until you find the box which says “allow editing directly in cells. Uncheck that
box. Shift + Tab until you reach OK. Hit enter.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

E-mail ljmaher03@...

[...]

Hello Louis and all,

Thank you for this tip, it works!

Does anyone know what this checkbox is for?

Why checking this box prevents NVDA from using braille in cells but not other screEn readers?

Best

Sylvie

[...]

Folks,

Unchecking this box effects JAWS as well.

When the NVDA, or Microsoft, error is corrected, you can check this box, and your Excel editing will go faster.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

E-mail ljmaher03@...

[...]

Louis and others,

The question is : is this a Microsoft or NVDA issue?

I did not want to mention the screen reader’s name here, but as you did, I don’t encounter the problem with JAWS when the checkbox is enabled.

Best

Sylvie

[...]

Howard Traxler

Someone please tell me about this checkbox.  To whom does it belong (JAWS, NVDA, windows, etc.) and where is it found?  I'd like to take a look.

Howard

<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twitter.com%2Fbmoore123&data=04%7C01%7C%7Ca444a07000f944f8255208d8766d097e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637389557960464578%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=r7SlRv51QnssRrXmpPpvWh4ppThc1sCep7FRmtcmcUM%3D&reserved=0>

[...]

Hello Howard and all,
As Louis wrote, this checkbox is in the Excel advanced options.
If you uncheck it, you can read Excel cells content in Braille when editing it with f2.
I contacted the Microsoft Disability Help Desk and told them about the problem. They told me they would investigate.
I had a look on an older PC with NVDA 2020.3 and Excel 2013. The Checkbox exists also and I did not identify the braille problem.
So I suppose it is related to Office 365 and NVDA.
Best
Sylvie

*De :*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> *De la part de*
Louis Maher via groups.io *Envoyé :* mardi 20 octobre 2020 17:38 *À :*
nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> *Objet :* Re: [nvda]

*De :*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> *De la part de*
Aine Kelly Costello via groups.io *Envoyé :* mardi 20 octobre 2020
15:22 *À :* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> *Objet :*
Re: [nvda] Accessing cell content in Braille in Excel for Office 365

[...]

This error shows up every couple of years. I believe Microsoft changes something and it takes the screen readers time to make a change. Another explanation is that Microsoft breaks something then fixes it. This issue comes and goes and predates Office 365.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
E-mail ljmaher03@...

*De :*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
[...]

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.t
witter.com%2Fbmoore123&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cd0665c5fa3704881a45908d87
69831a2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63738974331875726
6%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6
Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=FrmfXrHPGqGtHQGlIR%2FfA9DN5jCt
lTxyT3tkbEbcmKs%3D&amp;reserved=0

[...]

Past experience suggests that Microsoft makes a change, and it breaks either NVDA or JAWS or both.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

E-mail ljmaher03@...