Add-on suggestion - tone control/EQ for audio output

Kara Goldfinch

Hi.

I'm not a developer so I'm throwing this idea out there in case anyone fancies making it.

I think it'd be awesome to have a tone control or an EQ for NVDA's audio output. An example of why this would be useful would be if you have your computer connected to a decent pair of speakers or a hi-fi and the TTS engine you're using has way too much bass. With this add-on you could easily fix this by removing the low frequencies, and because it would be  NVDA specific, your music or whatever you're listening to wouldn't be effected. I personally get around this problem by using 2 sound cards, but that isn't always an option particularly over headphones.

It could also work the other way by carving out the high frequencies if you have a speech synth that's too sibilant.

I could see this working in 2 ways. Either as a tone control, So 50% would be neutral, with values higher than that affecting the low frequencies and lower values the high frequencies. Or you could have a graphic EQ so you could boost or cut specific bands to taste like on a hi-fi. You could even offer both and allow the user to switch between each mode.

I'm pretty sure there's open source filters and EQs you could incorporate into the add-on so you wouldn't have to make everything from scratch. It wouldn't even have to be the best thing out there, just something good enough for the job.

Obviously it should not introduce any latency.

Feel free to forward this to the add-ons list.

I said at the top it could be an add-on but having it as standard would be even better.

I'm interested to see what you all think.

All the best,

Kara

Gene

You would need separate adjustments for base and treble.  Having higher values affecting bass and lower values the treble in the same control might be confusing and would limit options.  What if you want to control both?

Gene

On 6/7/2022 4:42 AM, Kara Goldfinch wrote:

[...]

Chris Smart

This would need to be simple, for the non-audio folks. So, how about a simple Baxandall??

That’s nothing more than the bass and treble controls found on millions of car and home hi-fi stereos.

[...]

Yes, that's one of the things I had in mind. I suggested the graphic EQ option for E.G. if someone had difficulty hearing certain frequencies and they could then boost if required. Saying that though, I  expect adjustments lie that would probably be done globally anyway. So just a simple tone control would probably be best.