Add-on update notice: fixed Add-on Updater offering incompatible add-ons

Hi all,

Recently a number of add-ons were updated that require NVDA 2022.1, and these were approved for distribution on community add-ons website around 7:52 PM Pacific (UTC-7) on May 15, 2022. Around 1:11 AM on May 16th, I received a report from the add-ons list about compatibility messages with NVDA 2021.3.5 (the latest stable version as of time of this writing) and confirm that Add-on Updater was offering incompatible add-on updates to users. I have stopped Add-on Updater from offering add-on updates requiring NVDA 2022.1 around 1:36 AM Pacific.

While the update issue is resolved, I decided to inform you of what happened as Add-on Updater is my responsibility, and the described issue was part of a chain of events that led to folks experiencing confusion for a while. My sincerest apologies for this mishap.

P.S. A bigger factor: mental exhaustion due to me being a workaholic when it comes to everything NVDA. The events that led to the mishap described cannot be explained fully here, but what I can say is that as soon as graduate final exam is done this week and Windows App Essentials 22.06 is released next week, I’ll be looking for a great distraction from NVDA before I crash with mental exhaustion. This can partly explain why I’m not my usual self these days.

Cheers,

Joseph

Janet Brandly

We appreciate all the work you do. You definitely deserve a long disconnected vacation.

Janet

[...]

You know you really need to get someone else to manage the load if its that much.

I'm happy to get updates but they are not much good if the latest version is not out yet.

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 11:16 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:
We appreciate all the work you do. You definitely deserve a long disconnected vacation.
-
Amen to both of those sentiments, Janet!

I've been telling Joseph for some time now that he needs to stop talking about ceasing involvement with NVDA development and actually cease it.  And that's not because there is not an immense well of respect for him and all the work he has done.  No one is obligated to sacrifice their entire lives even to projects about which they are enthusiastic and devoted.  Passing the torch is a natural thing.

Joseph, best of luck getting through finals.  My last round of dealing with that was in the late 1990s when I was in a graduate program where I took all 4 years of undergraduate core courses in the first year and then entered into the usual graduate curriculum for the following two years.  Grad school is exhausting.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

As an asside I have reinstalled 14.7 and rechecked and yeah no longer getting stuff that will not work with my version anymore.

On 17/05/2022 8:26 am, Shaun Everiss wrote:

[...]

Hi,

What is for certain is that I'm definitely devoting June to something other than writing Python (for once in quite some time). As far as NVDA code contribution goes, I submitted what might be my last pull request last week (a possible solution to let mouse and touch users navigate and interact with Windows 11 UI elements on screen). I'm half-tempted to flat out ask NV Access to take Add-on Updater and Windows App Essentials under their wings so I can (finally) cleanly depart this project (for now).

The workload I'm involved (or thought about) are:

  1. Add-on authorship and maintenance
  2. Reviewing add-ons from the community
  3. Look for Windows 10/11/Insider Preview accessibility and usability issues for screen reader users
  4. Carefully guide the community toward long-term goals, or for that matter, slowly prepare the community for post-NVDA era (yes, that's slowly coming). While I cannot go into specifics, I imagine a day when academic researchers will "unearth" NVDA source code and try to figure out what's going on (the process for preparing for such a scenario isn't trivial, requiring changing the mindset of contributors, and to some degree, add-ons community; won't go into details now but perhaps find a time to talk about it soon).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joseph

Jackie

When you're young, you think you're immortal, invincible, God only
wise, to quote the hymn. When you get old, you know better. Not a
specific "you" but a generalized "you".

To Joseph I say, if you wanna do something, do it. If not, do like the
Frozen song says & just "Let It Go!" Because the truth is, straddling
the fence is uncomfortable, not to mention hurts--a lot. Whatever you
do, good luck & much success.

[...]

David Ingram

Hi, how are you?  This is David Ingram, i’m writing because I’m still having a problem with the ad-on updater concerning not updating to the latest ad-on but still reverting to an older ad-on.  This is strange  because i’ve updated to a newer version of windows 10 befor going to windows 11.  If i’m not mistaken  this is windows 10 21h2.  I’m not sure why i still have this problem with the nvda  ad-on updater.  thank you for any information that you  might be able to provide concerning this issue.

On May 16, 2022, at 9:44 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

It is likely that you've installed an add-on release that is newer than the one offered on community add-ons website. I advise contacting the add-on developer about this issue unless it happens to be one of my own add-ons.

Cheers,

Joseph

David Ingram

Hi, Joseph, how are you?  Is there a most recent version of the ad-on updater for nvda, if there is, can you please tell me where i can get it?  I ask this question because i recently updated to windows 10 version 21h2 but i still  got an old update for an ad-on.  I also have the most recent version of nvda.  I hope that does help things.  I’d like to know if doing a remote session may solve the problem!  Thank you for any suggestions that you might have  concerning this problem.  Thank you.

On May 16, 2022, at 3:26 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

[...]

Socheat

Hello,

The new addons updater can be downloaded from Joseph’s GitHub repository directly, or the easiest way is to obtain it from NVDA add-on repositories. here is the newest version from his github

[...]

If you have Add-on Updater 22.03.1, then you have the latest Add-on Updater installed.

I get a hunch that you are talking about a different add-on - perhaps Windows App Essentials? If yes, the latest version of that add-on is 22.05. If you are using an older release and Add-on Updater is not offering newer releases, chances are that Add-on Updater is told to not check for updates to add-ons (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings, Add-on Updater, review "do not update add-ons" list). Both Add-o Updater and Windows App Essentials support Windows 10 Version 21H2 and NVDA 2022.1.

Cheers,

Joseph