Add-on Updater 21.10 (mandatory update) released #addonrelease

Hi all,

First, thank you for reporting add-on update error messages. The issue was traced to NVDA not looking for the correct SSL error, possibly caused by expired root certificate from Let’s Encrypt. As a result, Add-on Updater 21.10 was just released (manual download for now):

https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/21.10/addonUpdater-21.10.nvda-addon

IMPORTANT: Add-on Updater 21.10 is a MANDATORY update to anyone using NVDA 2021.1 or later. I cannot backport this to earlier NVDA releases as the add-on uses features introduced in NVDA 2021.1.

In addition to fixing SSL certificate verification error, Add-on Updater 21.10 makes it possible to check for add-on updates after you perform a clean Windows installation without connecting to the Internet and then go online afterwards. This change comes from upcoming NVDA 2021.3 (alpha snapshots at the moment).

I advise applying this update as soon as possible – for now after installing Add-on Updater 21.10, ignore an offer from Add-on Updater to install Add-on Updater 21.09 – I will update this thread once Add-on Updater 21.10 is indeed offered.

Cheers,

Joseph

Don H

This did indeed fix the checking for addon updates under the tool menu
of the NVDA UI. Checking for a NVDA update under the help menu still
causes a error message.

On 10/2/2021 8:21 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Gene

That’s what I would expect since they aren’t related.  Changing one doesn’t change the other.

It works here, too.

This did indeed fix the checking for addon updates under the tool menu
of the NVDA UI.  Checking for a NVDA update under the help menu still
causes a error message.

On 10/2/2021 8:21 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First, thank you for reporting add-on update error messages. The issue
> was traced to NVDA not looking for the correct SSL error, possibly
> caused by expired root certificate from Let’s Encrypt. As a result,
> Add-on Updater 21.10 was just released (manual download for now):
>
> https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/21.10/addonUpdater-21.10.nvda-addon
> <https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/21.10/addonUpdater-21.10.nvda-addon>
>
> IMPORTANT: Add-on Updater 21.10 is a MANDATORY update to anyone using
> NVDA 2021.1 or later. I cannot backport this to earlier NVDA releases as
> the add-on uses features introduced in NVDA 2021.1.
>
> In addition to fixing SSL certificate verification error, Add-on Updater
> 21.10 makes it possible to check for add-on updates after you perform a
> clean Windows installation without connecting to the Internet and then
> go online afterwards. This change comes from upcoming NVDA 2021.3 (alpha
> snapshots at the moment).
>
> I advise applying this update as soon as possible – for now after
> installing Add-on Updater 21.10, ignore an offer from Add-on Updater to
> install Add-on Updater 21.09 – I will update this thread once Add-on
> Updater 21.10 is indeed offered.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joseph

Hi,

To resolve the error message when checking for updates to NVDA itself, try:

  1. Open Python Console (Control+NVDA+Z).
  2. Enter the following AS EXACTLY AS SHOWN:

import updateCheck; updateCheck._updateWindowsRootCertificates()

In order to verify that this issue is specific to NVDA 2021.2, please tell us which NVDA version you are using (please don't say "I'm using the latest version" because "latest version" can mean 2021.2, whatever version you might be using, or the latest alpha build). Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Jarek.Krcmar

Hi Joseph,

thank you for the link to download Addon Updater. It works for me very well.

Jarek

Dne 02.10.2021 v 15:21 Joseph Lee napsal(a):

[...]

__________ ESET Internet Security __________

Tato zprava byla zkontrolovana, a nebyly v ni nalezeny zadne hrozby.

Verze detekcniho jadra: 24059 (20211002)

https://www.eset.cz
--
Jarek

Gene

After we enter the text, do we just leave it there or is there a save or execute command?

To resolve the error message when checking for updates to NVDA itself, try:

  1. Open Python Console (Control+NVDA+Z).
  2. Enter the following AS EXACTLY AS SHOWN:

import updateCheck; updateCheck._updateWindowsRootCertificates()

In order to verify that this issue is specific to NVDA 2021.2, please tell us which NVDA version you are using (please don't say "I'm using the latest version" because "latest version" can mean 2021.2, whatever version you might be using, or the latest alpha build). Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Don H

OK after following the instructions you list what is supposed to happen? Can you now use the check for updates under the help menu and get no error?

On 10/2/2021 8:58 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
To resolve the error message when checking for updates to NVDA itself, try:
1. Open Python Console (Control+NVDA+Z).
2. Enter the following AS EXACTLY AS SHOWN:
import updateCheck; updateCheck._updateWindowsRootCertificates()
In order to verify that this issue is specific to NVDA 2021.2, please tell us which NVDA version you are using (please don't say "I'm using the latest version" because "latest version" can mean 2021.2, whatever version you might be using, or the latest alpha build). Thanks.
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,

To answer Gene's question: after you enter the text, press Enter, then press Escape to exit Python Console.

To answer Don's question: after following these steps, try checking for NVDA updates right afterwards.

Cheers,

Joseph

Don H

After following your instructions the check for updates under the NVDA UI help menu still gives a error.

On 10/2/2021 9:11 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
To answer Gene's question: after you enter the text, press Enter, then press Escape to exit Python Console.
To answer Don's question: after following these steps, try checking for NVDA updates right afterwards.
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,

I see. At least this confirms that NVDA itself is not detecting the correct error when checking for updates. Are you prehaps using NVDA 2021.1? If so, this explains the situationa bit more clearly.

Cheers,

Joseph

Don H

Sorry I forgot to provide that info. I am running NVDA 2021-2.

On 10/2/2021 10:04 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
I see. At least this confirms that NVDA itself is not detecting the correct error when checking for updates. Are you prehaps using NVDA 2021.1? If so, this explains the situationa bit more clearly.
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,

I see. If so, what is the exactly message you hear? If it says "no update available", then you are fine as 2021.2 is the latest release.

Cheers,

Joseph

Don H

The dialog box says Error checking for updates and there is a OK button

On 10/2/2021 10:37 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
I see. If so, what is the exactly message you hear? If it says "no update available", then you are fine as 2021.2 is the latest release.
Cheers,
Joseph

Chris

And a big thank you to Joseph for his quick response in releasing a resolution to this issue

Thank you

[...]

Dejan Ristic

I've also tried to open www.nvaccess.org via Chrome and Opera, but to no avail. Both are up-to-date. Firefox fires it up at once. I'm asking myself what steps to take due to the fact that I've been using Windows 7 SP1. Am I supposed to do something about it myself? If yes, what? If no, I'd be glad because I'm not as computer savvy as Joseph and those like him. 🤣

On 02/10/2021 15:35, Don H wrote:
[...]

.

I see. The next step then is a debug log from people experiencing it (ideally attached as part of a GitHub issue comment, but since not everyone has a GitHub account...).

Can people try doing a data analysis based on information we get from users - NVDA versions in use, debug log analysis, etc.?

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Firefox works because it comes with its own set of security certificates and doesn't rely on Windows to provide such information (the ultimate cause is Windows not being aware of expired certificate, and NVDA is involved because it fails to check the actual error in question). As for relationship with Windows 7, it was established (from some reports) that this is occurring across Windows releases (I do know that some folks will advise you to upgrade to Windows 10, but it is not for me to advise this as part of this thread).

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

I don’t know if there is anything to do but use Firefox for sites you can’t open in Chrome-based browsers.  If your Windows is up-to-date with all updates available before support ended, there may be nothing else that can be done.

Chrome-based browsers and browsers in general rely on Windows itself for verification that sites are ;properly certified.  Firefox has its own certificates and is unusual among browsers.

Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2021 11:42 AM

On 02/10/2021 15:35, Don H wrote:
> This did indeed fix the checking for addon updates under the tool menu
> of the NVDA UI.  Checking for a NVDA update under the help menu still
> causes a error message.
>
> On 10/2/2021 8:21 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First, thank you for reporting add-on update error messages. The issue
>> was traced to NVDA not looking for the correct SSL error, possibly
>> caused by expired root certificate from Let’s Encrypt. As a result,
>> Add-on Updater 21.10 was just released (manual download for now):
>>
>> https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/21.10/addonUpdater-21.10.nvda-addon
>>
>> <https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/21.10/addonUpdater-21.10.nvda-addon>
>>

>> IMPORTANT: Add-on Updater 21.10 is a MANDATORY update to anyone using
>> NVDA 2021.1 or later. I cannot backport this to earlier NVDA releases as
>> the add-on uses features introduced in NVDA 2021.1.
>>
>> In addition to fixing SSL certificate verification error, Add-on Updater
>> 21.10 makes it possible to check for add-on updates after you perform a
>> clean Windows installation without connecting to the Internet and then
>> go online afterwards. This change comes from upcoming NVDA 2021.3 (alpha
>> snapshots at the moment).
>>
>> I advise applying this update as soon as possible – for now after
>> installing Add-on Updater 21.10, ignore an offer from Add-on Updater to
>> install Add-on Updater 21.09 – I will update this thread once Add-on
>> Updater 21.10 is indeed offered.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Joseph
>>

> .

Dan Beaver

Thank you Joseph,  the version you told us about fixes this problem on my system.  I hope it fixes it for all.

Dan Beaver

[...]

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Well using the python import line mentioned yesterday has fixed both so maybe thats another alternitive to that also.

On a forum I use audiogames they are having issues with some addons and a few people think to just downgrade nvda so who knows.