Add-on Updater and Windows App Essentials 22.02 released #addonrelease

Hi all,

Add-on Updater and Windows App Essentials 22.02 are now available:

Key changes:

Add-on Updater 22.02: this release requires NVDA 2021.3 or later. For people speaking languages other than English, add-on update notification should be announced in their language.

Windows App Essentials 22.02: as announced a while back, this release requires Windows 10 Version 21H1 (May 2021 Update/build 19043) or later. As always, the add-on supports Windows 11, and version 22.02 in particular prepares NVDA to support upcoming Windows 11 changes, including a redesigned Notepad and announcing microphone mute status (Windows+Alt+K). These Windows 11 changes are being tested by Windows Insiders and will be made available to everyone soon.

Note that after installing these releases, Add-on Updater will prompt you to downgrade; ignore this message, as this is standard practice when an add-on update is being queued for distribution on community add-ons website. Speaking of distribution queues, the just released Sound Splitter 22.02 will also be queued for community add-ons website distribution.

Cheers,

Joseph

David Ingram

Hi Joseph,  I wint to the links that you provided to download both of the ad-ons but nothing happened.  I did this on a windows machine but i want to confirm which version of windows should be used?  is it windows h2  or windows 1?  I just want to make sure that i  have the right information.  The version of nvda is the most recent but i’m not sure whether i had the right version of windows.  Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

On Jan 28, 2022, at 7:26 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Gene

The version of Windows has nothing to do with whether you can download the add-ons.  I suspect you got a page not found message or something similar.  How are you working with the links?  Are you pressing enter on them or working with them in a different way?  I'm going into this because knowing why you are having problems may save you problems with some other links in the future.

Gene

On 1/29/2022 7:17 AM, David Ingram wrote:
[...]

Hi Gene i am pressing enter on the links that Joseph provided but nothing happens.  I’m not sure why i get an older update when i check for updates when using nvda.  I do have the latest version of nvda but i’m not sure why i get an older update when i check for updates or maybe when i check for ad-on updates that is when i get the older update for an ad-on that is what i ment to say.  But when i check for ad-on updates i get an older ad-on update and not something that is more recent. but in either case i’m unable to download the  ad-on updates that joseph provided.

On Jan 29, 2022, at 7:27 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure why nothing happens.  If you look at the link, you will see that it occurs twice.  You will see it once and then repeated.  I've seen some e-mail programs do this under certain conditions.  Here is the actual link.  I copied it to the clipboard.  If you pfress enter and nothing happens, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it into the browser you are using and press enter.

https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/22.02/addonUpdater-22.02.nvda-addon

Gene

On 1/29/2022 7:40 AM, David Ingram wrote:
[...]

I forgot to include the second link to the Windows app essentials add-on..

https://github.com/josephsl/wintenApps/releases/download/22.02/wintenApps-22.02.nvda-addon

I seem to have made an error in my description.  I thought I saw the links repeated twice.  There is something incorrect about how they appear as written but I'd have to play around more to figure out what it is.  the way I described may allow you to use the links but it may not work reliably.  I'll play around and see if I can give a reliable method in case you encounter such a problem in the future and the link isn't written twice.  Usually in such cases, that's what I see.

Gene

On 1/29/2022 7:42 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Thanks to Joseph,  i’ll try your suggestion of copying the link to the addressbar to see what happens.  I’ll think of that next time i try to update the ad-ons for nvda.  I know that there was a download part to each link but i thaught that the links were separated maybe so or maybe not.

On 1/29/2022 7:42 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I had no problem downloading either of the add-on files by pressing ENTER while focused on the links.  I did have trouble activating the "Save as" split button though, and I'm not sure what finally worked.  I tried navigating to the button by using TAB and SHIFT+TAB while on the "Downloads" page, and pressing both ENTER and SPACE multiple times.  I'm using NVDA 2021.3.1 with Microsoft Edge.

Louise

Which web browser are you using?
If you're using Firefox, there should be a dialog prompting you to save the file.

Hi all,

Quick, open NVDA menu, then select Tools/Check for add-on updates, as new add-on updates are on their way.

Cheers,

Joseph

David Ingram

Hi Joseph, I noticed 2 things when  i wint to nvda to check for ad-ons the first thing that i noticed as that browsernav gives a down grade from the most recent version to an older version, next there is an upgrade of an ad-on that checks to see what version of windows that you have and if you don’t have the most recent version of windows 10 it will not update the ad-on.  I noticed that this time.  Someone said that it didn’t matter what version of windows 10 that you have for one of the ad-ons but i’m here to say that it does.  Just 2 things that i wanted to point out.  I hope that it is not a problem.

On Jan 29, 2022, at 5:28 PM, Louise Pfau <louise.pfau@...> wrote:

Hi.  I had no problem downloading either of the add-on files by pressing ENTER while focused on the links.  I did have trouble activating the "Save as" split button though, and I'm not sure what finally worked.  I tried navigating to the button by using TAB and SHIFT+TAB while on the "Downloads" page, and pressing both ENTER and SPACE multiple times.  I'm using NVDA 2021.3.1 with Microsoft Edge.

Louise

Hi,

Browser Nav: yes, a newer version was submitted for distribution. Don't worry about it.

The second add-on: I think you are referring to Windows App Essentials? Yes, you will need a supported Windows 10 or 11 release to install this add-on (to whoever saying that this add-on can be installed on any Windows 10 release, please contact me privately because I (the add-on author) didn't say that).

Cheers,

Joseph