locked Microsoft's New "Ultra Natural" Voices - October 2022

ken lawrence

Hi list ken here.  I just updated to the new windows and there are several new so called natural voices in microsoft.  I can’t seem to add them to NVDA any suggestions what I might be doing wrong?

Sent from Mail for Windows

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Nothing can be done they are only for narrator at the present maybe down the track we might be able to use them in nvda.

They sound good  in narrator.

Gene nz

On 6/10/2022 7:30 am, ken lawrence via groups.io wrote:

Hi list ken here.  I just updated to the new windows and there are several new so called natural voices in microsoft.  I can’t seem to add them to NVDA any suggestions what I might be doing wrong?

Sent from Mail for Windows

You're not doing anything wrong.  The new "ultra natural" voices are strictly for use in Microsoft's own products.  They are not available to third party programs.

If this ever changes, there will likely be quite a bit of fanfare about it if/when it does.
--

Brian Virginia, USA  Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

         ~ Austin O'Malley

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I hope we will be able to get them in Windows 11 by the time I need to replace my current Windows 10 machine.  I've heard some of them through the "Read aloud" feature in Microsoft Edge, and they're great.

Louise

Monte Single

The new voices are available in win11 for narrator, but not for third party apps like nvda and jaws.

Hi.  I hope we will be able to get them in Windows 11 by the time I need to replace my current Windows 10 machine.  I've heard some of them through the "Read aloud" feature in Microsoft Edge, and they're great.

Louise

Brian's Mail list account

Yes I don't think they have written the API for external use yet.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Nothing can be done they are only for narrator at the present maybe down
the track we might be able to use them in nvda.

They sound good in narrator.

Gene nz

On 6/10/2022 7:30 am, ken lawrence via groups.io wrote:

Hi list ken here. I just updated to the new windows and there are
several new so called natural voices in microsoft. I can’t seem to
add them to NVDA any suggestions what I might be doing wrong?

Windows

Brian's Mail list account

I remember speech Platform which was supposed to be the new way to use their voices, but although this worked with the voices at the time, I found them very slow to respond. I don't think those libraries work on Windows 10, or if they do only with the voices made available at that time.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

You're not doing anything wrong. The new "ultra natural" voices are strictly for use in Microsoft's own products. They are not available to third party programs.

If this ever changes, there will likely be quite a bit of fanfare about it if/when it does.
--

Brian - Virginia, USA - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

This topic is locked after this post.  And, furthermore, the latest Microsoft voices released this month are "off-topic" here until and unless Microsoft announces general availability for third-party programs, of which NVDA is just one.  Rest assured, if that happens, that will be announced here, and then they'd be on-topic again like any other synthesizer that can be used with NVDA is.

But unless a post is made indicating otherwise, the latest ultra natural Microsoft voices are available exclusively to Microsoft's own products such as Narrator, Edge, etc.  There is no API for third-party use at this time.