Adjusting The NVDA Volume

Steven Hicks

Is there a way to adjust the NVDA volume independent of other apps with the keyboard e.g. if I have music playing, can I turn up NVDA louder when it is speaking?

Roger Stewart

You can turn on audio ducking which will turn down the music while NVDA speaks and turn it back up again when it isn't speaking.

Roger

On 1/27/2022 11:59 AM, Steven Hicks wrote:

Is there a way to adjust the NVDA volume independent of other apps with the keyboard e.g. if I have music playing, can I turn up NVDA louder when it is speaking?

Sarah k Alawami

It only goes to 100 percent if you are using control shift nvda up and down to adjust volume. [laptop keyboard layout] this after of corse nvda shift left right to navigate the synth ring.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Hicks
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 9:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Adjusting The NVDA Volume

Howard Traxler

There is a selector in the volume control just for NVDA.  I'm wondering if it just controls the voice; or does it also control the beeps?  Like in the progress bar, and in the open and close sounds. My progress bar is much too loud; but I don't want  the speech any quieter.

Howard

On 1/27/2022 12:37 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

It only goes to 100 percent if you are using control shift nvda up and down to adjust volume. [laptop keyboard layout] this after of corse nvda shift left right to navigate the synth ring.

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Steven Hicks
*Sent:* Thursday, January 27, 2022 9:59 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* [nvda] Adjusting The NVDA Volume

Sarah k Alawami

I don't think that is controlled by the nvda slider but by your windows
volume control, at least as far as I have found. Perhaps make a suggestion
on github otherwise the issue doesn't exist.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Adjusting The NVDA Volume

There is a selector in the volume control just for NVDA.  I'm wondering if
it just controls the voice; or does it also control the beeps?  Like in the
progress bar, and in the open and close sounds. My progress bar is much too
loud; but I don't want  the speech any quieter.

Howard

It only goes to 100 percent if you are using control shift nvda up and
down to adjust volume. [laptop keyboard layout] this after of corse
nvda shift left right to navigate the synth ring.

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Steven Hicks

Is there a way to adjust the NVDA volume independent of other apps
with the keyboard e.g. if I have music playing, can I turn up NVDA
louder when it is speaking?

Gene

If you open the speech settings dialog, control NVDA key v, and tab around, you will find a volume control slider for NVDA.  You can change it to whatever you want and then change it back in one command, control NVDA key r, which restores the saved configuration.

That is, if NVDA hasn't shut down with the new volume level.  If you are using the default save settings on exit setting, if NVDA closes or is closed, the new setting will be saved.

Gene

Gene

But the NVDA volume level, set from within NVDA, changes by default from synthesizer to another.  For many, the default setting is far below 100. 

The ring method is another way of changing the volume I hadn't thought of, which changes the same thing I was describing.

Gene

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Hicks
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 9:59 AM
Subject: [nvda] Adjusting The NVDA Volume

Gene

My guess is that the beeps you are talking about are changed by the system sounds control in the Windows volume control.

Gene

On 1/27/2022 12:50 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
There is a selector in the volume control just for NVDA.  I'm wondering if it just controls the voice; or does it also control the beeps? Like in the progress bar, and in the open and close sounds. My progress bar is much too loud; but I don't want  the speech any quieter.

Howard

Howard Traxler

Thanks, Gene.  I'll give that one a try.  Also, when I boot up, before NVDA starts, there is a very loud voice that says something about log in.  And again when I shut down after NVDA closes.

Howard

On 1/27/2022 1:55 PM, Gene wrote:
My guess is that the beeps you are talking about are changed by the system sounds control in the Windows volume control.

Gene

On 1/27/2022 12:50 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
There is a selector in the volume control just for NVDA.  I'm wondering if it just controls the voice; or does it also control the beeps? Like in the progress bar, and in the open and close sounds. My progress bar is much too loud; but I don't want  the speech any quieter.

Howard

Steven Hicks

Ah ha, yes, that may do it, can anyone tell me where that setting is please?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Stewart
Sent: 27 January 2022 18:37

You can turn on audio ducking which will turn down the music while NVDA speaks and turn it back up again when it isn't speaking.

Roger

Rosemarie Chavarria

Shift insert D is the command for audio ducking.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 12:08 PM

Roger

Giles Turnbull

I asked about changing the volume of the sounds, and it was suggested that it was probably a Windows system sound. The sound I was trying to quieten was the beep that indicates when I have entered or left a text box. I actually discovered that it is an NVDA sound. There are 10 of these beepy sounds in the NVDA installation folder. You can find them in Program Files (x86) on the C: drive, in the NVDA folder and then the Waves folder. They are all wav files, and you can use an audio-editing program like audacity or NCH wavepad to reduce their volume. I renamed the original files first by adding an extra character to the start of the filename, so that I culd then save the reduced-volume version without the extra character. What I don't know is whether the beep that indicates entry into a text box is the same beep sound that is used to indicate percentage progress of a process, but there's no harm in trying. Hope this helps  :)

Steven Hicks

Brilliant, thanks.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: 27 January 2022 20:29

Shift insert D is the command for audio ducking.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 12:08 PM

Roger