Topics

Admin's Note: Follow-up: moderator qualifications #adminnotice

Nimer Jaber

Hello everyone,
Let me just say that I am very sad by Joseph's departure, however I do understand and no matter what anybody might believe, Joseph has my total and complete support in all that he does.

Now, Joseph outlined the requirements to be a moderator of this list. I would strongly urge everyone to reflect seriously about this decision before putting your name down, and in particular the aspect about service and humility.  If you would like to apply for the moderator position, please send your name and a written piece detailing your response to the qualifications above. This will not only help me determine your written style, but also it will help me and the list know that they are electing an individual that is going to take this position seriously. Once Joseph and I have given enough time for people to make this consideration, at least two weeks, we will announce the procedure for voting process.

Thank you all for your continued support, and please send your kind thoughts to Joseph so that he knows that all of the work he has done is truly appreciated.

On 22-Mar-16 01:19, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

If you or someone you know fulfills all (yes, ALL) of the following requirements, then please put forth your name or that person’s name as the candidate for the new moderator (note that this isn’t about head moderator position, and our current head moderator is Nimer Jaber):

1.       Have used NVDA for the past three years or more.

2.       Have been a member of this forum and other NVDA forums for the past three years or more.

3.       Ability to communicate well, especially when confronting a crisis such as misbehaving members, off-topic messages and such.

4.       Ability to communicate kindly (and with humility) even in the face of adversity (especially during arbitration hearing proceedings).

5.       Willingness to seek advice from moderators and members of this forum when making list-wide decisions.

6.       Familiarity with Groups.IO administration controls.

7.       Ability to serve as a user-side advocate when talking to NV Access and other NVDA developers.

8.       Ability to deliver important news from NV Access such as NVDA release announcements in a timely manner.

9.       Willingness to step down from position of power when appropriate (recalled, on his or her own will and so on).

10.   Willingness to shower members of this list and the wider NVDA community with love and mercy, including to misbehaving members.

11.   Having the servant’s attitude (to serve, not to be served).

12.   Willingness to be accountable and answerable to members of this list and the public.

13.   Must be at least 21 years of age or older (or considered an adult in the country a candidate resides in).

Some of you may say, “look, these requirements are too hard.” I believe that, as a public face of this list (alongside other moderators and members), you are responsible for the fate and reputation of this list, and in extension, NVDA community and NVDA screen reader itself. Thus only applications from serious candidates will be accepted (applications will be accepted until early April, and election will be held by end of April so the new moderator can adjust to his or her new role throughout May).

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

P.S. The reason for making these requirements tough is because of the following blog post:

http://joslee22590.blogspot.com/2016/03/if-i-die-tonight-2-showering-forum.html?spref=tw

Although the post talks about head moderators, it applies to associate moderators as well. Good luck.