Topics

Admin's Note: Moderator Feedback, Leaving List #adminnotice

Nimer Jaber

Hello everyone,

Imagine my shock when I look through list emails today, to see a number of individuals posting messages regarding the moderator. Imagine my shock when one thread was closed, and another was reopened to do the exact same thing. Let me make a few things clear.
  • This list is not a democracy. Even democracies have rules, so even if it was, I would be saying the same thing. A few years ago, we tried the democratic thing, but we got no engagement from people on the list. When I asked people for recommendations of moderators, I received very few, and when asking people to vote, nobody did. Therefore, I am list owner, Brian is moderator, and we both are volunteers and try our best to make sure that this list is run in a consistent way in accordance with the NVAccess code of conduct, with Groups.io rules, and with general list netiquette.
  • I love receiving feedback from list members. Some of you have sent feedback, and it is truly appreciated, no matter whether if it is good or bad, no matter whether I agree with it or not. I will respond to your feedback, we can engage in a dialog, and even if we disagree, I hope you will walk away with the reasoning as to why, and we can understand one another. I will hear you out though, and Brian does the same.
  • It is a list rule that feedback is to be sent to the owner, nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io and not to the list. Why? Because the purpose of this list is to discuss NVDA, to help out new users and existing ones alike, to provide a space for anyone wishing to discuss NVDA, as do over 1,300 members. If lots of people start sending off-topic messages, this list would not be serving its intended purpose.
  • If you wish to leave, leave. I don't care. You won't hurt my feelings. If you wish to talk out your grievances before leaving, reach out to the owner address. If you wish to leave and wish to complain, I don't care, and your comments aren't welcome on list. I will put the entire list under lock-down if necessary, but I hope I don't have to.
  • If you don't like me or Brian, again, I don't care. I am not on this list to be liked. If you don't agree with something, please let us know so we can discuss it. If we mess up, as we are bound to do as humans, please let us know, and we will rectify any mistake, with public apologies as needed, as we have done in the past.
  • If you are going to be a child, violate the rules, complain publicly, your posting privileges will be moderated.

Let me be clear. Brian has my support. If you wish to leave and disagree with what I've said here, or with the list rules, please do so.

Now, let's get back to NVDA discussion, shall we?

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Jackie

Edited

I just think it's a matter of courtesy & respect not to call a list moderator &/or owner out in public

Michael Munn

Edited

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 10:40 PM Jackie <abletec@...> wrote:
I just think it's a matter of courtesy & respect not to call a list moderator &/or owner out in public
-
100% agree with you sir

JAWS Certified, 2019

Member: Georgia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Georgia

www.nfbga.org

Member: National association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind

www.nfb.org

www.hadley.edu

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 10:40 PM, Jackie wrote:
I just think it's a matter of courtesy & respect not to call a list moderator &/or owner out in public
-
Absolutely, but I will note that this only applies when a moderator or owner is acting in that role and enforcing rules or setting expectations.

When we post new topics, or responses in ongoing topics, we as individuals deserve the same treatment as any other member.  No additional deference is asked for nor expected.

Any good moderator or group owner is able to understand the difference between being challenged for doing what they're supposed to be doing and being challenged about ideas, techniques, etc.  Our "special status" is strictly limited to when we are actively exercising our administrative roles.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Jackie

Edited

Yes, of course. I was only referring to moderators/owners being called out publicly while performing list administration duties.