Topics

Admin's Notes: Addition to NVDA List Rules Re: Unsupported Software Discussion #adminnotice

Nimer Jaber

Edited

Hello everyone,

I have been intending to write this message for the past few days, however decided to wait to see if discussions of such nature continued. It seems as if they have, so I am sending this out to you all.

As a result of numerous discussions taking place regarding old versions of NVDA, Windows XP, and other such old and unsupported software, the NVDA list rules are being amended. If you have a question about the purpose of this change, or if you object to this change, please write to nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io with your thoughts. Please also note that the chat list remains open for any such discussion of Windows XP and such, although I would strongly urge you to update your operating system.

The NVDA Group rules are being amended to include the following:

The discussion of software on the NVDA Group is limited to software currently in support. Depending on the type of software, specific version numbers will change with time. Users are expected to know what remains in support and what has been dropped, and announcements will be made to this list when new software is released. It should be assumed that, when a new version of software is released, primary discussion will take place on that version, not versions of software which are years old.

Unsupported versions of any software may only be discussed on the Chat Subgroup, not the main NVDA Group.

Windows: Only Windows 8.1 and currently supported versions of Windows 10. With regard to Windows 8.1, its end of extended support date, January 10, 2023, is already known. Members on Windows 8.1 are expected to upgrade to a currently supported version of Windows either on or before that date. Members should refer to the Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet to determine which versions of Windows are currently supported. Information about the dates on which specific versions of Windows 10 reached their end of service dates is listed there as well and will be updated as new versions are released.

Note that it is acceptable to direct a user to the NVAccess site, or the Microsoft site, where older versions can be downloaded, however this is different than supporting a specific version of software, or operating system.

NVDA: NVDA has, at any given time, a single version under active support. If a question arises about how to update to that version, and you’re on an earlier version, that will be permitted as transition problems can occasionally occur.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly.

Thank you, and have a great day!