Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and Latest NVDA Beta?

Chris Smart

Wow. When I launch Acrobat I hear the NVDA error sound multiple times in quick succession. The log shows many entries like the following:

ERROR - RPC process 10784 (AcroRd32.exe) (10:06:56.088) - Dummy-26 (13792):
Thread 12332, build\x86\remote\COMProxyRegistration.cpp, registerCOMProxy, 182:
Unable to register interface ISimpleDOMDocument with proxy stub ISimpleDOM.dll, code -2147023156

There are dozens of those in my log.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Chris

Try running the COM Registration Fixing Tool, then see what happens (or doesn't).

      ~ Brian Vogel

Chris Smart

Hi Brian.

After running the tool and rebooting, I re-ran Acrobat and got exactly 22 of the following errors in the NVDA log:

ERROR - RPC process 12592 (AcroRd32.exe) (11:38:51.883) - Dummy-5 (11440):
Thread 12204, build\x86\remote\COMProxyRegistration.cpp, registerCOMProxy, 182:
Unable to register interface IAccessibleHyperlink with proxy stub IAccessible2Proxy.dll, code -2147023156

On 2021-06-20 11:26 a.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
Try running the COM Registration Fixing Tool, then see what happens (or doesn't).

      ~ Brian Vogel

Chris,

Then the question becomes:  Is anything misbehaving from a functional standpoint for you, the end user, with NVDA or Acrobat Reader DC?

There are errors that are critical, and errors that are not.  I've had many occasions with betas where a cycle of retries, in very rapid succession, produces exactly what you're experiencing now.  But whatever the error is must not be critical, because I can continue along just like nothing happened.  Remember that the beta software is "much more vocal" about signaling these sorts of errors than released software is.  You might be able to fire up 2020.4, and check your log, and find precisely the same batch of errors.  Errors have to rise to a certain level of criticality before the production releases will report them to a user.  The beta versions will give you a signal for each and every error logged, regardless of its level of criticality.

But what's been shared is likely to get a couple of sets of review and the issue addressed if need be.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Chris Smart

I should have added that I was still able to open and fill out a form this morning. So, it appears things work properly regardless.

On 2021-06-20 11:45 a.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
Chris,

[...]

Well I tried adobe reader 64 bit and access wize, forget it.

The program sure that works.

Open a file and it will load then close itself.

I went back to standard 32 bit and it works.

One thing to note, if you don't want bogged down systems there are syncing things that activate if you sign in.

I don't think there is any extras you gain with the free version unless you want to convert online and there are ways getting round that.

Saying all that, adobe acrobat will actually do a good job of reading properly structured web content inside pdfs so if they are done right actual web pages will be loaded for you to brouse as normal inside the reader which can actually be cool.