adobe reader 64 bit

enes sarıbaş

Hi all,

Adobe now has a 64 bit version of reader.  The upgrade isn't automatic however. Is the 64 bit version compatible with NVDA as well?

Quentin Christensen

Yes, I've been using the 64-bit version of Adobe Reader for awhile and it works fine.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

enes sarıbaş

Hi,

How did you do the upgrade? The installer gives me an already installed error if I try to install the 64 bit version on top of the 32 bit version.

Yes, I've been using the 64-bit version of Adobe Reader for awhile and it works fine.

Quentin.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 9:48 AM enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Adobe now has a 64 bit version of reader.  The upgrade isn't automatic
however. Is the 64 bit version compatible with NVDA as well?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Arlene

Hi, Why not uninstall the 32 bit. Then install the 64 bit. Try that. Keep the 32 bit should the 64 bit cause you problems.

Sent from Mail for Windows

How did you do the upgrade? The installer gives me an already installed error if I try to install the 64 bit version on top of the 32 bit version.

Yes, I've been using the 64-bit version of Adobe Reader for awhile and it works fine.

Quentin.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 9:48 AM enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Adobe now has a 64 bit version of reader.  The upgrade isn't automatic
however. Is the 64 bit version compatible with NVDA as well?

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

To be honest, I can't recall (I must have done it awhile ago).  I did find this page with the download of the 64-bit version: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/download-64-bit-installer.html

But it sounds like you might have that already?  If it won't let you install over the top, you might need to uninstall the 32-bit version first maybe?

According to that page, it says the 64-bit version is only available in Australia, New Zealand, and the UK - I'm not sure if it will throw an error if you try to install it elsewhere.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 3:42 PM enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@...> wrote:

Hi,

How did you do the upgrade? The installer gives me an already installed error if I try to install the 64 bit version on top of the 32 bit version.

Yes, I've been using the 64-bit version of Adobe Reader for awhile and it works fine.

Quentin.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 9:48 AM enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Adobe now has a 64 bit version of reader.  The upgrade isn't automatic
however. Is the 64 bit version compatible with NVDA as well?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sameer Latey

I was able to download & install Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit from the Adobe site. The 64-bit installation works after the 32-bit version is uninstalled & not on top of the existing one.

Regards
Sameer Latey
On 27-09-2021 12:01 pm, Quentin Christensen wrote:

[...]

Lukasz Golonka

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:13:39 +1000
"Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:

Yes, I've been using the 64-bit version of Adobe Reader for awhile and it works fine.
How often you're using it with NVDA? There are various reports of 64-bit
Reader behaving unreliably and / or even out right crashing with various
AT's in the wild.

Quentin Christensen

I must admit I haven't had cause to read too many PDF files extensively recently, so mostly I've just opened it quickly to check something, either with NVDA or for things like reading a bill to pay.  I know we have, for instance this issue around errors: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/11568 although in that issue while errors are generated, the program itself seems to behave normally (there are Adobe Reader version numbers there though it's not clear if it is 32-bit or 64-bit).

In any case, as with any problem, if you can document it, and particularly if you have steps to reproduce, we can definitely investigate.

Kind regards

Quentin.