Topics

After Latest Stable Upgrade: NVDA does not start at system boot

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I updated NVDA to the latest build 2019.2.1 a few days ago.  I noticed when restarting the system, that NVDA would not start. Thinking that it was a glitch---a one time occurrence, I just started it with the hot key.  It happened again and again I used the hotkey to start NVDA.  I then checked the menu/settings/general and indeed found that the check box to start NVDA at start up was unchecked.  I checked it, restarted the system and now everything is fine.

Did anyone else experience this with the latest build 2019.2.1?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Sarah k Alawami

Nope. Knock on woodk nvda is rock solid here. But failing all that i just type nvda in the run dialogue and it just works so no hot keys for me.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 4 Oct 2019, at 8:40, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

I updated NVDA to the latest build 2019.2.1 a few days ago.  I noticed when restarting the system, that NVDA would not start. Thinking that it was a glitch---a one time occurrence, I just started it with the hot key.  It happened again and again I used the hotkey to start NVDA.  I then checked the menu/settings/general and indeed found that the check box to start NVDA at start up was unchecked.  I checked it, restarted the system and now everything is fine.

Did anyone else experience this with the latest build 2019.2.1?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Jackie

I've had this happen on updates too, Ron. It didn't happen this time
but I believe the time before that, it did. Seems to be a pretty
random occurrence & definitively disconcerting.

Nope. Knock on woodk nvda is rock solid here. But failing all that i
just type nvda in the run dialogue and it just works so no hot keys for
me.

[website.](http://www.tffppodcast.com) This is also our libsyn page as
well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go
[here.](http://www.tffppodcast.com/premium)
and for hosting options go [here](http://www.tffppodcast.com/hosting)

Our [telegram](https://t.me/tffppodcast) channel is also a good place
for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our [discord](https://discord.gg/fr7MaVK) is where you will know when
we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

[here](Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast)

On 4 Oct 2019, at 8:40, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

I updated NVDA to the latest build 2019.2.1 a few days ago.  I
noticed when restarting the system, that NVDA would not start.
Thinking that it was a glitch---a one time occurrence, I just started
it with the hot key.  It happened again and again I used the hotkey
to start NVDA.  I then checked the menu/settings/general and indeed
found that the check box to start NVDA at start up was unchecked.  I
checked it, restarted the system and now everything is fine.

Did anyone else experience this with the latest build 2019.2.1?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Richard Wells

I experienced this on three of my machines. Two others left the box
checked. I don't know what the variable is.

On 10/4/2019 10:40 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I updated NVDA to the latest build 2019.2.1 a few days ago.  I noticed
when restarting the system, that NVDA would not start. Thinking that
it was a glitch---a one time occurrence, I just started it with the
hot key.  It happened again and again I used the hotkey to start
NVDA.  I then checked the menu/settings/general and indeed found that
the check box to start NVDA at start up was unchecked.  I checked it,
restarted the system and now everything is fine.

Did anyone else experience this with the latest build 2019.2.1?

Gene

I've seen this discussed after upgrades of earlier versions.  It appears that this happens in some cases and isn't version specific.

Sent: Friday, October 04, 2019 10:40 AM
Subject: [nvda] After Latest Stable Upgrade: NVDA does not start at system boot

Hi Group,

I updated NVDA to the latest build 2019.2.1 a few days ago.  I noticed
when restarting the system, that NVDA would not start. Thinking that it
was a glitch---a one time occurrence, I just started it with the hot
key.  It happened again and again I used the hotkey to start NVDA.  I
then checked the menu/settings/general and indeed found that the check
box to start NVDA at start up was unchecked.  I checked it, restarted
the system and now everything is fine.

Did anyone else experience this with the latest build 2019.2.1?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

molly the blind tech lover

Hi ☺ Molly here.
I experienced the same thing after upgrading. My NVDA, like yours, would not start at the logon screen. I also found the box telling NVDA to start at logon screen to be unchecked. After checking the box, rebooting NVDA and then rebooting the computer fixed the problem. NVDA works fine now.

I updated NVDA to the latest build 2019.2.1 a few days ago. I noticed when restarting the system, that NVDA would not start. Thinking that it was a glitch---a one time occurrence, I just started it with the hot key. It happened again and again I used the hotkey to start NVDA. I then checked the menu/settings/general and indeed found that the check box to start NVDA at start up was unchecked. I checked it, restarted the system and now everything is fine.

Did anyone else experience this with the latest build 2019.2.1?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Sarah k Alawami

Ok knock on wood, this has not happened for me yet. Now let's ope I didn't just jinx myself.

On 4 Oct 2019, at 8:56, Jackie wrote:

[...]

Lol hopefully it won’t 😉

[...]

Kevin Cussick

I do not know about this version, but I can tell you this has been happening for quite a few versions of nvda and nothing seems to be getting done about it. rather I might be better rewording a bit it might be difficult to track down. but the result is the same for a few versions now this has been happening and it has been reported on and I am sure off list to the nv-access people.

On 04/10/2019 16:40, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,
I updated NVDA to the latest build 2019.2.1 a few days ago.  I noticed when restarting the system, that NVDA would not start. Thinking that it was a glitch---a one time occurrence, I just started it with the hot key.  It happened again and again I used the hotkey to start NVDA.  I then checked the menu/settings/general and indeed found that the check box to start NVDA at start up was unchecked.  I checked it, restarted the system and now everything is fine.
Did anyone else experience this with the latest build 2019.2.1?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Kevin, everyone,

We've certainly seen reports of this from time to time, but as you note - it's difficult to track down - it doesn't always affect the same users, and for most users, the fix should be relatively simple (go into the general settings and check the checkbox again).

As I usually say - if you happen to have had your log set to debug when you updated and can send me the logs from around when you updated, I'm happy to have a look.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 7:22 AM Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io <the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I do not know about this version,   but I can tell you this has been
happening for quite a few versions of nvda and nothing seems to be
getting done about it. rather I might be better rewording a bit it might
be difficult to track down.   but the result is the same for a few
versions now this has been happening and it has been reported on and I
am sure off list to the nv-access people.

On 04/10/2019 16:40, Ron Canazzi wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I updated NVDA to the latest build 2019.2.1 a few days ago.  I noticed
> when restarting the system, that NVDA would not start. Thinking that it
> was a glitch---a one time occurrence, I just started it with the hot
> key.  It happened again and again I used the hotkey to start NVDA.  I
> then checked the menu/settings/general and indeed found that the check
> box to start NVDA at start up was unchecked.  I checked it, restarted
> the system and now everything is fine.
>
> Did anyone else experience this with the latest build 2019.2.1?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Roger Stewart

Just to say, I upgraded 2 machines to the new NVDA and I didn't have this problem at all. Both running Win 10 64 bit, one home version and the other pro version. This seems to be very machine specific and will be hard to track down.
Roger

Hi Kevin, everyone,

We've certainly seen reports of this from time to time, but as you note - it's difficult to track down - it doesn't always affect the same users, and for most users, the fix should be relatively simple (go into the general settings and check the checkbox again).

As I usually say - if you happen to have had your log set to debug when you updated and can send me the logs from around when you updated, I'm happy to have a look.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 7:22 AM Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io <the.big.white.shepherd=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I do not know about this version,   but I can tell you this has been
happening for quite a few versions of nvda and nothing seems to be
getting done about it. rather I might be better rewording a bit it might
be difficult to track down.   but the result is the same for a few
versions now this has been happening and it has been reported on and I
am sure off list to the nv-access people.

On 04/10/2019 16:40, Ron Canazzi wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I updated NVDA to the latest build 2019.2.1 a few days ago.  I noticed
> when restarting the system, that NVDA would not start. Thinking that it
> was a glitch---a one time occurrence, I just started it with the hot
> key.  It happened again and again I used the hotkey to start NVDA.  I
> then checked the menu/settings/general and indeed found that the check
> box to start NVDA at start up was unchecked.  I checked it, restarted
> the system and now everything is fine.
>
> Did anyone else experience this with the latest build 2019.2.1?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

molly the blind tech lover

I only experienced this issue on one machine. But after going to NVDA’s general settings and checking the box the problem  went away. Now NVDA starts up at the logon screen as it did before the update.