Topics

amazing tip from you guys on the task manager

Fresh Start

I have been using windows since it’s beginnings and never heard of control shift ane escape.  I’ve always used alt control delete.  Thanks for the alternative method.

Subscribe to the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with subscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

Unsubscribe from the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with unsubscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”

(Proverbs 3:5,6 NIV)

Sam Taylor

You could also press windows x, followed by t. :)

On 17/07/2020 12:48 pm, Fresh Start wrote:

I have been using windows since it’s beginnings and never heard of control shift ane escape.  I’ve always used alt control delete.  Thanks for the alternative method.

Subscribe to the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with subscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

Unsubscribe from the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with unsubscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”

Fresh Start

Wow, thanks.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sam Taylor via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] amazing tip from you guys on the task manager

You could also press windows x, followed by t. :)

On 17/07/2020 12:48 pm, Fresh Start wrote:

dan@...

dan@...

Ashley Wayne

Oh wow, exact same situation here. This is seriously awesome! Thank you! :)

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020, 8:48 PM Fresh Start <dan@...> wrote:

dan@...

dan@...

JM Casey

Have used ctrl-shift-escape since switching from XP to Windows 10 at home (!). not sure how old the keystroke is but when I replaced Task manager with Process Explorer, the keystroke invoked that as well.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fresh Start
Sent: July 16, 2020 10:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] amazing tip from you guys on the task manager

dan@...

dan@...

Dan Beaver

Ok all,  what is it supposed to do?  I tried it and it showed me one process that was running but no other processes.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 7/17/2020 1:16 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Have used ctrl-shift-escape since switching from XP to Windows 10 at home (!). not sure how old the keystroke is but when I replaced Task manager with Process Explorer, the keystroke invoked that as well.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fresh Start
Sent: July 16, 2020 10:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] amazing tip from you guys on the task manager

dan@...

dan@...

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 02:46 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
Ok all,  what is it supposed to do?  I tried it and it showed me one process that was running but no other processes.
You must activate the "More Details" control at the bottom if you want all processes (whether yours or not) to be displayed.  This will also toggle the "More Details" control to a "Fewer Details" control.  The toggle keeps between invocations unless you toggle it again, so once you've chosen the "More Details" view, it should stick unless you were to change it back.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Dan Beaver

Ok, I still am unsure what this is supposed to be showing me.  Is it the process which is using the most resources, the process at the top of the list, etc?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 7/17/2020 3:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 02:46 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
You must activate the "More Details" control at the bottom if you want all processes (whether yours or not) to be displayed.  This will also toggle the "More Details" control to a "Fewer Details" control.  The toggle keeps between invocations unless you toggle it again, so once you've chosen the "More Details" view, it should stick unless you were to change it back.

--

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 03:10 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
Is it the process which is using the most resources, the process at the top of the list, etc?
What it shows you depends on how you've selected certain things.  Presuming the More Details view is active, you'll see all processes on running on the computer.  These are going to be presented as far as resource use based on which of the system resource columns (CPU, Memory, Disk, Network, GPU - in that order from left to right after the process name) you have selected to sort on.  I have no idea which is the default, as I'm constantly switching which resource I'm looking at depending on whatever issue I suspect I have.  The three I use most frequently are CPU, Disk, & Memory.

There are tons of tutorials out there on using Task Manager, and it would be worth your while to read one or more if you want to get into all the details.

--

Dan Beaver

Oh, I see a bit better now.  I thought it was a feature outside of task mgr. 

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 7/17/2020 3:15 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 03:10 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
Is it the process which is using the most resources, the process at the top of the list, etc?
What it shows you depends on how you've selected certain things.  Presuming the More Details view is active, you'll see all processes on running on the computer.  These are going to be presented as far as resource use based on which of the system resource columns (CPU, Memory, Disk, Network, GPU - in that order from left to right after the process name) you have selected to sort on.  I have no idea which is the default, as I'm constantly switching which resource I'm looking at depending on whatever issue I suspect I have.  The three I use most frequently are CPU, Disk, & Memory.

There are tons of tutorials out there on using Task Manager, and it would be worth your while to read one or more if you want to get into all the details.

--

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)