Topics

and Chromium

Pete <emac00@...>

Hi
I am trying out Chromium.
The version is below in the about page.
does any one have helpful advice using this browser?
I notice while down arrowing nvda stops announcing the menu items.
After the zoom item two down arrow are not spoken and again after edit item another two down arrows are not spoken.
If up arrowing it doesn't do the same.
Tabbing around seems to work OK. Starting at the address bar, next tab is bookmark button next tab is Chromium menu oops take that back tabbing around now selects between tabs now along with going threw the open page. I have not configured any thing in it yet so will explore the other tabs. Does any one know the keys to close a tab / focused window?
Thanks!
Pete
About
Chromium
A web browser built for speed, simplicity, and security
Get help with using Chromium
Version 51.0.2684.0
Chromium
Copyright 2016 The Chromium Authors. All rights reserved.
Chromium is made possible by the Chromium open source project and other open source software.

Kevin Chao

Ctrl+w

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 8:51 AM Pete <emac00@...> wrote:

[...]

Gene

Evidently, you are talking about Chromium, not Google Chrome.  I doubt that meaningful work has been done either by the Chromium project nor by NVDA on this browser.  The popular Google Chrome browser among sighted users is reasonably accessible but I don't expect Chromium, a browser that is not at all widely used and that a lot of people don't even know exists, to be worked on by NVDA developers who, frankly, have much much more important things to work on affecting a great many more users than a browser most people haven't even heard of.

[...]

  Thanks, but it closes the whole browser.
  Might be I don't have the correct focus.
Pete

On 3/25/2016 11:55 AM, Kevin Chao wrote:
[...]

How many tabs or windows are opened when you issue the command?
If only one tab or window is opened, that command will close the browser because you are closing the only opened window.

[...]

  evidently

  The subject line says it all.

Write: Re: [nvda] and Chromium

  Google chrome is based on Chromium.
  So with out Chromium  Google Chrome would not exist.
  There is also a Canary version of Chromium available.
  Again with out Chromium Canary Google Chrome Canary would not exist.
  There is a Chromium OS as well.
  You can read more about Chromium and Chromium OS on the Chromium web site.
  Pete

On 3/25/2016 12:06 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

  4 tabs are showing when I tab threw the program window.  I tab past all that and am in a web page with links.  So I think the web page I want to close has focus and I do control + w to close it and the browser closes.
  It might be the only window open thanks.
  Do you know if chrome or chromium has a set of default tabs that remain open?
  I think the 4 tabs I am going threw might be pinned there, not sure now.

On 3/25/2016 12:27 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Since you neither quote previous messages nor indicate in any way whom or what you are responding to, I shall assume it is to me.  What do either of your statements have to do with what I said?  The google Chrome designers have worked on accessibility.  That doesn't mean the Chromium team has or has to nearly the same extent.  Google Chrome is Google's version of the chrome browser and if it derived from Chromium originally, that is irrelevant.  It is a separate branch of the browser.  I believe Canary is Google's more or less alpha version of its version of the browser and,  again, it is Google's version of the browser.

[...]

Google Chrome, as I recall, by default, shows many pages you have recently gone to.  I don't recall if those pages are actually opened or just shown as items you can open.  I set Google Chrome not to show any of them when Chrome opens.

[...]

  Hi  Gene
  There is no point continuing this verbal sparing.  It's there you must have missed it.
  Pete

On 3/25/2016 1:28 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

chromium is google chrome with all the added stuff google chrome has.
In theory it should be more accessable than chrome without all the extra google stuff on it.

On 26/03/2016 5:06 a.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

I saw a message from Shaun much earlier today, my time, indicating that Google Chrome is similar to Chromium.  If so, my comments on accessibility may not apply.  I don't know that, I'm just saying that accessibility may be the same or similar depending on how closely the branches are related.

Gene

Chris Mullins

Cromium browser is the base product from which Google Chrome and other
browsers are developed.
Google Chrome is the Cromium Browser plus add-ons such as built in flash,
pdf reader and other embellishments.
Google Chrome Canary is the bleeding edge of Google Chrome development which
can be run alongside standard Chrome. It is used to try out new ideas and
is updated daily. As such it can be volatile , so is not recommended unless
you are prepared to cope with potential crashes.

Cheers
Chris

[...]

Who develops accessibility and does Google Chrome have accessibility that Chromium doesn't have?  I want to get a clear understanding of who deals with accessibility.  Maybe it's both sets of developers.