Topics

Announcement: ending development of StationPlaylist add-on

Hello NVDA community,

It is with heavy heart that I announce that I’m stepping down from active development of StationPlaylist add-on, effective about a year from now. For the last seven years, SPL add-on grew from a small app module (developed way back in 2011 by Geoff Shang and James Teh) to one of the most powerful and recognizable add-ons out there. Developments in NVDA brought interesting features to SPL add-on such as concept of broadcast profiles, while concepts developed from SPL add-on are planned to be incorporated into NVDA such as add-on updating facility.

As I thought about what my life would look like in the near future, it has become clear to me that I need to let go of various things, including SPL add-on. Although developing the add-on was a fun experience and taught me many things, I need to focus on more important things, the most immediate one being getting an undergraduate degree so I can focus on graduate school in the near future. I’m hoping that whoever is going to maintain this add-on from next year onwards will upgrade the add-on significantly and make it more productive for broadcasters everywhere.

To ease this transition, I’ll stop accepting feature requests soon – I’ll announce this when that happens. I’ll focus on adding one or two high priority requests this summer (winter in southern hemisphere), then focus on bug fixes and needed changes for the rest of the year. In March 2021 or 30 days after NVDA 2021.1 is released, I’ll turn off my transmitter i.e. no more SPL add-on releases from me (development snapshots will end in early 2021).

To everyone who provided valuable feedback for the last seven years, thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Mark

Hi Joseph,

I would like to just thank you for all the hard work you have done over the 7 years

Making SPL a pleasure to work with

Mark.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10