locked Announcement Only: Asking whether a specific program is accessible with NVDA #adminnotice

Edited

Hello All,

Let me open this notice with my sincere thanks to members who have been consistently making an effort to think about whether the question they're about to ask, or whatever they're about to discuss, is better placed here on the NVDA Main Group or the Chat Subgroup.  This has really made the content in both venues more productive and (for the main group) focused.

That being said, I am going to repeat something that is in our Welcome Notice, Monthly Reminder Notice, and our main group description on Groups.io:

The central purpose of the NVDA Group is discussing how to use NVDA. This includes configuring NVDA's settings or familiarizing oneself with its modes and commands.  Discussions about which programs are accessible using NVDA, NVDA add-ons, NVDA tutorials and documentation, and configuring synthesizers or Braille displays for use with NVDA are also permitted.

Note that the third sentence starts with a statement that, "Discussions about which programs are accessible using NVDA," are permitted.  I don't want to drive questions about whether something is accessible if you're using the NVDA screen reader off the main group.  This is vital information to know, and the answer can change over time.  It's a very good thing to be asking here.

It's only if questions are about, "How do I do thing X in program Y?," where the discussion is not really about NVDA, but about program Y.  Those sorts of deep dives (or even not so deep dives) about how to do something in program Y or how program Y works in general or the features it has, do belong in the Chat Subgroup.  They're about program Y and any NVDA commands are incidental to the answers.

But don't hesitate to ask about whether program Y is accessible using NVDA on the main group.  In fact, please do when you have that question.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon