Topics

appending to clipboard instead of just copying to clipboard?

Dan Beaver

Hi all,

Is there a way using NVDA or maybe an add-on to NVDA to do an append instead of just a copy?  I have a few items from every page of a website that I need to paste into a file but am currently having to copy each one and then paste each one individually into the file.  It is taking too much time.

I searched to see if there was a way to append  to the clipboard in the NVDA help but couldn't find anything.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

The answer to your question is, "No," if you are literally trying to append to the clipboard.

That being said, if you're a Windows 10 user (it may even be in Windows 8.1) you can use Clipboard History feature which allows you to collect multiple items on the clipboard (and even sync to the cloud, if you are working between machines) and paste them one by one at the opposite end.  So you can do all your cutting from the source document without leaving it, and your pasting at the destination document without leaving it.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Brian,

I did not know about this feature. It is really useful! I have just tried it out and I could selectively paste  particular items from the history list into a new file.

All the best,

Cearbhall

The answer to your question is, "No," if you are literally trying to append to the clipboard.

That being said, if you're a Windows 10 user (it may even be in Windows 8.1) you can use Clipboard History feature which allows you to collect multiple items on the clipboard (and even sync to the cloud, if you are working between machines) and paste them one by one at the opposite end.  So you can do all your cutting from the source document without leaving it, and your pasting at the destination document without leaving it.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Avast logo

Cearbhall and Dan,

         And I lied, kinda.  I had forgotten that there is also an NVDA add-on that deals with "collecting to the clipboard."  See: Clip Contents Designer

         I tend to be a copy-paste-copy-paste operator, but on those rare occasions that I want to do copy-copy-copy, paste-paste-paste, I use Clipboard History these days.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

This add-on appears to do what is desired.
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipContentsDesigner.en.html

The answer to your question is, "No," if you are literally trying to append to the clipboard.

That being said, if you're a Windows 10 user (it may even be in Windows 8.1) you can use Clipboard History feature which allows you to collect multiple items on the clipboard (and even sync to the cloud, if you are working between machines) and paste them one by one at the opposite end. So you can do all your cutting from the source document without leaving it, and your pasting at the destination document without leaving it.

~ Kelley Boorn

Dan Beaver

Ok,

I activated the clipboard history feature now.  Now how do I use it?  When I copy things to the clipboard and then press windows + V it says the first item in the clipboard history but I can't figure out how to access the list of the history.  My sighted wife says that anytime I try to move with the cursor or tab it goes away.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 11/1/2020 5:59 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Cearbhall and Dan,

         And I lied, kinda.  I had forgotten that there is also an NVDA add-on that deals with "collecting to the clipboard."  See: Clip Contents Designer

         I tend to be a copy-paste-copy-paste operator, but on those rare occasions that I want to do copy-copy-copy, paste-paste-paste, I use Clipboard History these days.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

I also installed the clipboard designer add-on and turned it on but now I can't get it to do anything.  It is almost as if it isn't being recognized.  I downloaded the most recent add-on version.  I am running the most recent version of NVDA also.

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 08:24 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
When I copy things to the clipboard and then press windows + V it says the first item in the clipboard history but I can't figure out how to access the list of the history.
-
Up/Down arrow moves you through the items on the clipboard.

Enter pastes the one you have focus on.

If you wish to remove an item from Clipboard History, when you have focus on it hit Tab, activate the menu, and choose the appropriate option.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 08:28 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
clipboard designer add-on
-
I know nothing about it except what's documented on the page where you download it.  It may or may not also be available via the NVDA Help, Running Add-Ons documentation option.  I don't use this add-on.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Rowen Cary

I really hope that NVDA itself has the ability to copy/append the last heard content

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 08:49 PM, Rowen Cary wrote:
I really hope that NVDA itself has the ability to copy/append the last heard content
-
Not related to "plain vanilla" clipboard use.

That being said, there's been an add-on for this purpose that's been around for a very long time:  Speech History.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

I've been playing with the add-on and you can't redefine the commands defined in the help documentation. In other words, you have to use NVDA windows key c, for example. These keys should be redefinable. My laptop has only one Windows key, the left Windows key and it is very inconvenient using that command. I wanted to redefine it as only an NVDA key letter command but it isn't possible.

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 08:24 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
When I copy things to the clipboard and then press windows + V it says the first item in the clipboard history but I can't figure out how to access the list of the history.-
Up/Down arrow moves you through the items on the clipboard.

Enter pastes the one you have focus on.

If you wish to remove an item from Clipboard History, when you have focus on it hit Tab, activate the menu, and choose the appropriate option.

~ Kelley Boorn

Rui Fontes

Maybe it is needed the Win10Apps add-on...

Rui Fontes

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 06:19 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Maybe it is needed the Win10Apps add-on...
-
I guess that's possible, but even when a screen reader isn't running the behavior I describe for using Clipboard History works using those same methods via the keyboard.

We need to be very careful, now that an NVDA Add-On has been thrown into the mix of the discussion, to keep Clipboard History, and how to use it, separate from Clip Contents Designer, and how to use it.  The two are not related, other than in at least some of their intended functions.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Hi all,

To clarify, clipboard history in Windows 10 has nothing to do with Clip Contents Designer add-on. Therefore a suggestion that can sound like, “please add clipboard append functionality to Windows 10 App Essentials add-on” is hereby denied (I’m speaking as the author of Windows 10 App Essentials add-on).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 01:20 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Therefore a suggestion that can sound like, “please add clipboard append functionality to Windows 10 App Essentials add-on” is hereby denied (I’m speaking as the author of Windows 10 App Essentials add-on).
-
And since such exists both under Windows 10 and an NVDA Add-On, there would be no earthly reason to do so, period.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Chris Mullins

                Hi

                                I have been testing the Clipboard History feature of Windows 10 using NVDA and have achieved mixed results.  I can traverse the list of clipboard items with up/down arrows but the enter key,  has caused me problems.

When located on a particular item in the clipboard items list, pressing enter pastes in the requisite item but causes focus issues in the test Notepad document I am using and when I use NVDA+t to identify which document I am in, NVDA gives audio feedback about braille tethering, so I think  there may be some compatibility issues here.  Repeated presses of NVDA+t seems to cycle around the Braille tethering options.  I do not have a Braille device connected to my machine.  Flipping focus between open apps eventually restores normality.

I could not get the tab key to open any menus asociated with the Clipboard History list, the only menu I could get was a context menu using the Applications key and this had many options, mostly unavailable, delete being one of them however, Pressing the delete key whilst a particular list item is in focus, will remove it from the list.

I could not determine a way to move between the document and the Clipboard History window to paste in several clipboard items, other than by using Windows+v each time, neither could I select more than one clipboard item at a time for pasting.

I found that the most reliable way of pasting items from the Clipboard History list into your target document is to highlight an item using the arrow keys, then press the spacebar to paste it.  Focus returns to your target document after these keystrokes.

I think there may be compatibility issues with the ClipSpeak add-on as well.  When pasting several items from the Clipboard History list, I found that ClipSpeak was only announcing every other  item as "Pasted text" but the strange thing was that the items that were not announced were pasted successfully and those announced, failed to paste into the target document.  After disabling Clipspeak, I was able to use the spacebar to paste items consistently.

Cheers

Chris

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 08:24 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:

When I copy things to the clipboard and then press windows + V it says the first item in the clipboard history but I can't figure out how to access the list of the history.

-
Up/Down arrow moves you through the items on the clipboard.

Enter pastes the one you have focus on.

If you wish to remove an item from Clipboard History, when you have focus on it hit Tab, activate the menu, and choose the appropriate option.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Hi,

As for keyboard command issue, this is caused by the fact that clipboard history will internally press Control+V, thereby causing the control key to get stuck.

As for moving between the document and clipboard history, it isn’t possible because clipboard history is really an overlay window, not a truly focusable control.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 08:24 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:

When I copy things to the clipboard and then press windows + V it says the first item in the clipboard history but I can't figure out how to access the list of the history.

-
Up/Down arrow moves you through the items on the clipboard.

Enter pastes the one you have focus on.

If you wish to remove an item from Clipboard History, when you have focus on it hit Tab, activate the menu, and choose the appropriate option.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

After the clipboard feature was turned on and you had copied stuff to the clipboard then arrowed to the one to paste as you found also the space bar done the trick nicely .

using the enter key would at times just post v.

gene nz

On 3/11/2020 8:43 am, Chris Mullins wrote:

[...]

-->

Dan Beaver

Well, I finally got the clipboard history feature to work on my system.

I did discover that while cursoring through the history you can remove entries from the history by selecting one and then just pressing the delete key.  This is good because I can't get to the options in the history at all.

Thanks for this info.

Dan Beaver