Topics

Ask about learning a new language using screen reader.

prem.translator@...

Dear Listers,
For now, NVDA is the only one screen reader that I use. I'd like to learn a new language which will be start next year. I have questions, but first of all, here are my plans and / or conditions.

- I don't have braille display, so I can only learn by listening any materials and reading anything using screen reader.
- I'm using NVDA with Windows 7.
- For now, I'm deciding to choose between Chinese and Arabic.

Here are my questions:

- What are the best synthesizers for both languages, it can be paid or free synthesizer that can use with NVDA.
- Is it hard to learn typing in both languages? I mean, keyboard layout, special symbol etc.
- Any suggestions about learning both languages are welcome.

Thank you.

Rui Fontes

Hello!

You have those languages in your Vocalizer Expressive...

Regards,

Rui Fontes
Tiflotecnia, Lda.

Às 04:46 de 06/12/2018, prem.translator@... escreveu:

Dear Listers,
For now, NVDA is the only one screen reader that I use. I'd like to learn a new language which will be start next year. I have questions, but first of all, here are my plans and / or conditions.
- I don't have braille display, so I can only learn by listening any materials and reading anything using screen reader.
- I'm using NVDA with Windows 7.
- For now, I'm deciding to choose between Chinese and Arabic.
Here are my questions:
- What are the best synthesizers for both languages, it can be paid or free synthesizer that can use with NVDA.
- Is it hard to learn typing in both languages? I mean, keyboard layout, special symbol etc.
- Any suggestions about learning both languages are welcome.
Thank you.

Hi,
I can tell you one thing: a screen reader and synthesizer combination is not enough when it comes to learning a foreign language. This is more so for Chinese and Arabic where you need to study it hard and long. I myself didn't learn English through a computer (or through audio tapes) alone - I went through thousands of face-to-face conversations, along with dictionaries and immersing myself in English media (I am a native Korean speaker; what you hear in my tutorials is result of effort over the last twenty years or so).
When it comes to learning a foreign language, I recommend:
1. Don't rely solely on your computer alone.
2. Befriend someone who speaks the language(s) you wish to learn and have many face-to-face conversations.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Angela Delicata

+1 to this: I have a degree in English as a second language here in Italy and can confirm what Joseph said.

Angela from Italy

Il 06/12/2018 15:04, Joseph Lee ha scritto:

[...]

I agree with both Joseph and Angela. For me, Thai is my Native language, and I ever learned English and German. For the next language, computer and screen reader will be the first step before going to face-to-face conversation.

Thank you for your suggestions,
Prem.

Hi,

No, please do not start learning a new language with a screen reader and a speech synthesizer. I advise starting out with a face-to-face conversation with someone who speaks the language you wish to learn.

Cheers,

Joseph

I agree with both Joseph and Angela. For me, Thai is my Native language, and I ever learned English and German. For the next language, computer and screen reader will be the first step before going to face-to-face conversation.

Thank you for your suggestions,
Prem.

特種兵

  How can I find someone who would talk me with English:

thank you for much
Logo Kuo from Taiwan
Joseph Lee 於 2018/12/07 4:14 寫道: