Topics

Ask about learning a new language using screen reader.

prem.translator@...

Dear Listers, 
For now, NVDA is the only one screen reader that I use. I'd like to learn a new language which will be start next year. I have questions, but first of all, here are my plans and / or conditions. 

- I don't have braille display, so I can only learn by listening any materials and reading anything using screen reader. 
- I'm using NVDA with Windows 7. 
- For now, I'm deciding to choose between Chinese and Arabic. 

Here are my questions: 

- What are the best synthesizers for both languages, it can be paid or free synthesizer that can use with NVDA. 
- Is it hard to learn typing in both languages? I mean, keyboard layout, special symbol etc.
- Any suggestions about learning both languages are welcome. 

Thank you.

Rui Fontes

Hello!

You have those languages in your Vocalizer Expressive...

Regards,

Rui Fontes
Tiflotecnia, Lda.

Às 04:46 de 06/12/2018, prem.translator@... escreveu:

Dear Listers,
For now, NVDA is the only one screen reader that I use. I'd like to learn a new language which will be start next year. I have questions, but first of all, here are my plans and / or conditions.
- I don't have braille display, so I can only learn by listening any materials and reading anything using screen reader.
Here are my questions:
- What are the best synthesizers for both languages, it can be paid or free synthesizer that can use with NVDA.
- Is it hard to learn typing in both languages? I mean, keyboard layout, special symbol etc.
Thank you.

Hi,
I can tell you one thing: a screen reader and synthesizer combination is not enough when it comes to learning a foreign language. This is more so for Chinese and Arabic where you need to study it hard and long. I myself didn't learn English through a computer (or through audio tapes) alone - I went through thousands of face-to-face conversations, along with dictionaries and immersing myself in English media (I am a native Korean speaker; what you hear in my tutorials is result of effort over the last twenty years or so).
When it comes to learning a foreign language, I recommend:
1. Don't rely solely on your computer alone.
2. Befriend someone who speaks the language(s) you wish to learn and have many face-to-face conversations.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rui Fontes
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Ask about learning a new language using screen reader.

Hello!

Regards,

Rui Fontes
Tiflotecnia, Lda.

Dear Listers,
For now, NVDA is the only one screen reader that I use. I'd like to
learn a new language which will be start next year. I have questions,
but first of all, here are my plans and / or conditions.
- I don't have braille display, so I can only learn by listening any
materials and reading anything using screen reader.
Here are my questions:
- What are the best synthesizers for both languages, it can be paid or
free synthesizer that can use with NVDA.
- Is it hard to learn typing in both languages? I mean, keyboard
layout, special symbol etc.
Thank you.

Angela Delicata

+1 to this: I have a degree in English as a second language here in Italy and can confirm what Joseph said.

Angela from Italy

Il 06/12/2018 15:04, Joseph Lee ha scritto:

Hi,
I can tell you one thing: a screen reader and synthesizer combination is not enough when it comes to learning a foreign language. This is more so for Chinese and Arabic where you need to study it hard and long. I myself didn't learn English through a computer (or through audio tapes) alone - I went through thousands of face-to-face conversations, along with dictionaries and immersing myself in English media (I am a native Korean speaker; what you hear in my tutorials is result of effort over the last twenty years or so).
When it comes to learning a foreign language, I recommend:
1. Don't rely solely on your computer alone.
2. Befriend someone who speaks the language(s) you wish to learn and have many face-to-face conversations.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rui Fontes
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:50 AM

Hello!

Regards,

Rui Fontes
Tiflotecnia, Lda.

Dear Listers,
For now, NVDA is the only one screen reader that I use. I'd like to
learn a new language which will be start next year. I have questions,
but first of all, here are my plans and / or conditions.
- I don't have braille display, so I can only learn by listening any
materials and reading anything using screen reader.
Here are my questions:
- What are the best synthesizers for both languages, it can be paid or
free synthesizer that can use with NVDA.
- Is it hard to learn typing in both languages? I mean, keyboard
layout, special symbol etc.
Thank you.

prem.translator@...

I agree with both Joseph and Angela. For me, Thai is my Native language, and I ever learned English and German. For the next language, computer and screen reader will be the first step before going to face-to-face conversation.

Thank you for your suggestions,
Prem.

Hi,

No, please do not start learning a new language with a screen reader and a speech synthesizer. I advise starting out with a face-to-face conversation with someone who speaks the language you wish to learn.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of prem.translator@...
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 12:12 PM

I agree with both Joseph and Angela. For me, Thai is my Native language, and I ever learned English and German. For the next language, computer and screen reader will be the first step before going to face-to-face conversation.

Prem.

特種兵

How can I find someone who would talk me with English:

thank you for much
Logo Kuo from Taiwan
Joseph Lee 於 2018/12/07 4:14 寫道:

Hi,

No, please do not start learning a new language with a screen reader and a speech synthesizer. I advise starting out with a face-to-face conversation with someone who speaks the language you wish to learn.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of prem.translator@...

Prem.

Well I wouldn't learn with a low quality synth.

One thing, if you have a smart device, my family and friends use a program and website called duo lingo.

There are lessons and structured courses, including spoken things and text.

It may be what you want there are even online exams, most of it is web and email based.

Its a free program.

On 12/7/2018 9:14 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Prem.

The Gamages

Hello,

Just another thought on this subject, Linguaphone do, or did an audio only package and it is very good, maybe worth asking them.

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 1:18 AM

thank you for much
Logo Kuo from Taiwan

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io On Behalf Of prem.translator@...

Prem.

marcio

Hello,
May I ask what this app is like?
That is, what it does? It's for Android, iOS or even Windows?
Em 07/12/2018 09:24, The Gamages via Groups.Io escreveu:

Hello,

Just another thought on this subject, Linguaphone do, or did an audio only package and it is very good, maybe worth asking them.

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 1:18 AM

thank you for much
Logo Kuo from Taiwan

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io On Behalf Of prem.translator@...

Prem.