Topics

Asking a few NVDA questions.

Ron Kolesar

Hello to my fellow NVDA users.
I'm playing my online rpg truck driving game using NVDA and have a few questions.
For using a forms mode.
I noticed that you have to tap and shift tap to get forms mode to kick in and press the esc key to get out of forms mode.
Is there a way to have forms mode kick in and out automatically, and simply just smack the enter key and or spacebar to
1. activate a action?
2. As well the enter key and or spacebar would allow you back out of the forms mode for filling out a field.
For example, in this example, I'm talking about the truck driving RPG game.
Now while within the truck driving setting my speed that I want to drive at I have to use forms mode to enter into this feature.
So is there a way so that you don't have to constantly tab and back tab to go into forms mode, and to constantly have to press the esc key to get out of forms mode once again?
Similar to the way forms mode works like in JAWS?
I also noticed for two punctuations.
The Apostrophe comes out as the word tick.
So, if you use the Apostrophe like in a word like I am, it comes out as I tick m instead of the contracted word, im.
Also the period is reading as dot.
The period comes out as dot instead of period or no punctuation at all.
I have the punctuation set to some.
Should I set it to none?
The comma reads correctly though.
Havn't tried other punctuations with NVDA just yet.

Also, why is it that I'm seeing in and out of tables and so many rows and columns?
Is there a way to remove all of this extra information so that you only see what you need or want to see, without all of the info on the tables and columns and rows?
If we could, I think it would make reading the screen more effectively and or better.

Many thanks to all who tried to help me learn how to use NVDA as a second screen reader.
Very Thankfully Yours,
Ron, who needs to practice some more learning to use NVDA before I have to use it with my flying simulatior and the programs that that are added onto the flight sim so that a blind and or visually impared or BVI pilot may be able to fly.

Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Gene

Manually enter forms mode with NVDA key space.

Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 10:07 PM
Subject: [nvda] Asking a few NVDA questions.

[...]

From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Ron Kolesar

Thanks for the tip Jene.
Any other keyboard shortcuts you can teach this old dog to learn a new trick from?
Many thanks once again.
Ron Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM

[...]

From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Gene

I know the usual ones, control r, alt s, the generally used ones.  I believe there may be another shortcut command or two to do things like go to the deleted messages or sent mail folder but I'm not sure and I don't know them if they exist.

Gene
[...]

From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Gene

I thought this message was in another thread on another list.  I was discussing shortcuts in the below answer for an e-mail program.  I see now that the question was asking about NvDA short cuts.

There are short cuts to open certain dialogs such as to set speech parameters and select a synthesizer.  You can open many of the settings categories in NVDA.

I'll tell you two or three shortcuts I know and there must be a place in the manual or the quick keys reference to find more.
If you change settings and you want to go back to the settings you usually use, the shortcut is NvDA key control r.  You will hear configuration applied.  If you have saved the new settings, you can't go back in this way because the new settings are part of the configuration.  If you exit NVDA with new settings, by default, they will be saved.  I think this is a very bad default setting.  People should be able to try different settings and not have them inadvertently saved.  It should require an affirmative act by the user, not closing the program which may result from shutting down the system, or closing the program for other reasons.

You can change this setting so changes aren't automatically saved, and if you do, you can save new settings with NVDA key control c.
To open the voice dialog, the command is NVDA key control v.
To open the synthesizer dialog, it's NVDA key control s.
You can change how progress bars are read or not read.
NVDA key control u.  There are a number of options you can move through.  You can move through them as many times as you want.

Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2019 2:30 PM

[...]

From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Ron Kolesar

Hello to my fellow NVDA users.
I'm playing my truck driving game and I'm noticing the following within using NVDA as my screen reader.
1. The fuel price is reading as I see the dollar sign by NVDA is reading the fuel price as dollar 2.50.
Is there a way I could have is say with the dollar sign in front read two dollars and fifty cents with the decimal point in between the dollars and cents?
2. If I meet my deadline and I'll collect on time with the dollar sign in front NVDA is reading it as dollar 375.27.
Can I get NVDA to read this as dollars and cents as well?
Many Thanks.
Ron who's slowly learning his way around while using NVDA for his new screen reader
In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Ron,
Is there a way to remove all of this extra information so that you only see what you need or want to see, without all of the info on the tables and columns and rows?
CTRL+NVDA+D should do the trick. You can play with the checkboxes there, checking and unchecking them according to your liking.
Hth

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Gene,
You can change how progress bars are read or not read.
NVDA key control u.
Actually, it's NVDA+U.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Luke Davis

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019, Marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Is there a way to remove all of this extra information so that you only see what you need or want to see, without all of the info on the tables
and columns and rows?
CTRL+NVDA+D should do the trick. You can play with the checkboxes there, checking and unchecking them according to your liking.
you may also want to press NVDA+ctrl+b, and turn off layout tables.

Luke

Ron Kolesar

That’s what I’ve been asking myself.
Any thoughts on solving this issue?
It also would help when I get the programs I need for the flight simulator as well, since the newer flight sim won’t work with the other screen reader.
So, this is why I’m trying to learn NVDA.
So any and all help will be deeply appreciated.
Especially if we could get rid of all of the tables, columns and rolls so we just see what we would like or need to see.
Many thanks.
Ron who’s a still new NVDA user.

Is there a way to remove all of this extra information so that you only see what you need or want to see, without all of the info on the tables and columns and rows?
CTRL+NVDA+D should do the trick. You can play with the checkboxes there, checking and unchecking them according to your liking.
Hth

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Ron Kolesar

Thanks' for the tip.
The next time I go driving my eighteen wheeler, I’ll have to give this tip a try.
Again, I’m grateful for this key shortcut tip.
Please keep them coming.
Ron

You can change how progress bars are read or not read.
NVDA key control u.
Actually, it's NVDA+U.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Ron,
Actually, I told you about a command you can try. Luke commented on this as well. Did you read our replies?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Sarah k Alawami

I know what you are talking about prepar works well with nvda. In fact i just used it last night to do a flight. About excel I don't use it but might have to relearn one day as it has ben since 2011 when I last used it and hated it. I past the test and took excel off of my system.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 7 Jun 2019, at 6:22, Ron Kolesar wrote:

[...]

From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Curtis Delzer

hey I wanna play that gam, how do I do that.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 6/6/2019 3:03 PM, Ron Kolesar wrote:
Hello to my fellow NVDA users.
I'm playing my truck driving game and I'm noticing the following within using NVDA as my screen reader.
1. The fuel price is reading as I see the dollar sign by NVDA is reading the fuel price as dollar 2.50.
Is there a way I could have is say with the dollar sign in front read two dollars and fifty cents with the decimal point in between the dollars and cents?
2. If I meet my deadline and I'll collect on time with the dollar sign in front NVDA is reading it as dollar 375.27.
Can I get NVDA to read this as dollars and cents as well?
Many Thanks.
Ron who's slowly learning his way around while using NVDA for his new screen reader
In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Felix G.

Wow! Flight simulation with a screen reader? Sounds exciting. So this
is Prepar3d plus some console interface?
Best,
Felix

Am Fr., 7. Juni 2019 um 17:44 Uhr schrieb Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...>:

I know what you are talking about prepar works well with nvda. In fact i just used it last night to do a flight. About excel I don't use it but might have to relearn one day as it has ben since 2011 when I last used it and hated it. I past the test and took excel off of my system.

For stuff we sell, mac training materials and tutorials go here.
[...]

From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Sarah k Alawami

If you want to know more as this is starting to drift a bit see my youtube channel as there are over 700 videos, some of which are for blind flight simming. I do use nvda to do all of that. If you have any ore questionsn email me privatly as I have some resources that might help you if you are interested.

On 9 Jun 2019, at 4:47, Felix G. wrote:

[...]

From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Ron Kolesar

Hi Felix.
If you'd like more info on flying?
Subscribe to the following list and throw out your questions.
For both FSX Steam Edition and Prepar 3-d AKA P3D at the following list:

BVI Pilots
Blind & Visually impaired Pilots Mailing List
bvipilots@groups.io
bvipilots+subscribe@groups.io

Also, if you want a awesome private plane to fly, go to the following web address:
www.flyawaysimulation.com
Go to the free down load library and go to the search engine and do a search for Dassault falcon 7X and down arrow until you see version 2.
Also, there's a member of the BVI Pilots list that tells me that he has the DF7X working on P3D, but I am going to be moving from FSX steam to P3D shortly with the lists help to get back off of the ground once again.
Enjoy.
Ron Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM.

Is there a way to remove all of this extra information so that you only see what you need or want to see, without all of the info on the tables and columns and rows?

CTRL+NVDA+D should do the trick. You can play with the checkboxes there, checking and unchecking them according to your liking.
Hth

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Meet modi

Can you share this game with me