Topics

Autocorrect question.

In LibreOffice and OO, OpenOffice, there are certain commands you can do to make autocorrect do things it would not normally do, such as capitalize the first letter of a sentence when quoting. I'm trying to apply the below modification to the MS Office desktop program. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know, after reading the below.

In LO and OO I can type the below string into the replace box, and the program will automatically correct the word or phrase without me having to hit space or similar.

For example, if I type,

"a.*

LO and OO transforms it to,

"A

without me having to hit space or period or similar. Does anybody know how I can do this in MS Word? It makes novel editing a hellscape when I am working on draft 2. And, yes, I know where the shift key is, but I really don't want to break the flow when quoting while writing draft 1. And, unfortunately, MS Word has the far superior grammar checker built in.

Quentin Christensen

It's in Proofing options:

1. Press alt+f, then t to open options
2. Press CONTROL+TAB twice to move down to "Proofing" then press alt+a to open auto correct options.
3. The focus is in "Replace", so type the string you want to replace "a.*
4. Press TAB then type the string to replace it with "A
5. Press ALT+A to add that and ENTER to activate OK.
6. Press TAB to move off the autocorrect button then press ENTER to activate OK again.

Now you should be able to type "a.* and it should change it as soon as you press the *.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Thanks, but is there a certain string I can type into the replace box, like a macro, that would allow me to type other characters while it corrects the first character?
For example, in LO and OO, I can type,
"a.*
And, the second I hit the letter N, or any other letter, even though I didn't hit space or similar, LO and OO transform it to,
"A
without me having to type, period, asterisk. Is there a kind of macro or built in way to make MS word do this too?