Topics

Backup files with NVDA

Marco Oros

Hello.

I have question dear NVDA users.

How do You backup files? Have You backup files manually, or do You use some software?

And also, which software is accessible with NVDA?

Thank You.

best regards

Marco Oros

john doe

On 10/4/2020 9:19 AM, Marco Oros wrote:
Hello.

I have question dear NVDA users.

How do You backup files? Have You backup files manually, or do You use
some software?
What files are you talking about?

And also, which software is accessible with NVDA?
Give a shot to the PRG that you would like to use and report back if you
have issue(s) accessing them.

--
John Doe

Marco Oros

I think personally backup everything without difference.

Or, files from my harddrive on my computer to my external harddrive.

Dňa 4. 10. 2020 o 10:11 john doe napísal(a):

On 10/4/2020 9:19 AM, Marco Oros wrote:
Hello.

I have question dear NVDA users.

How do You backup files? Have You backup files manually, or do You use
some software?
What files are you talking about?

And also, which software is accessible with NVDA?
Give a shot to the PRG that you would like to use and report back if you
have issue(s) accessing them.

--
John Doe

Gene

But do you want to back up only files such as documents, music, etc. or do you want to back up everything, including the files that make up the operating system so you can restore the operating system. One kind of backup, only files such as documents, music, etc. can be done very differently than a full backup or image.

I think personally backup everything without difference.

Or, files from my harddrive on my computer to my external harddrive.

Dňa 4. 10. 2020 o 10:11 john doe napísal(a):
On 10/4/2020 9:19 AM, Marco Oros wrote:
Hello.

I have question dear NVDA users.

How do You backup files? Have You backup files manually, or do You use
some software?
What files are you talking about?

And also, which software is accessible with NVDA?
Give a shot to the PRG that you would like to use and report back if you
have issue(s) accessing them.

--
John Doe

This question gets asked again, and again, and again on both this group and the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group, and the answers never change.

I have written a tutorial on using Macrium Reflect to take full system image backups:   Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

Windows 10 includes a File History utility built-in for user data backups, and it's fully accessible, but it does not take full system images.

Searching the NVDA Group Archive on system image backup will return scads of discussions regarding backing up, as will  Searching the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group Archive and there's plenty on the JAWS group, too.

Members really need to start searching archives before asking questions.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Marco Oros

No.

I would like to backup My music, images, installation files, everything in my folder.

But, You can write also, how to backup My OS too. :)

Already provided, for Macrium Reflect, in my previous post.  That's what a "full system image" is - everything including the operating system part and all user accounts and their data.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Tony Ballou

howdy folks,

Sorry about the length of this post, but I think the information will be helpful to most of you out here.

Most times using copying and pasting files through either this PC or file explorer is the easiest way to backup files and for the most part it works without a hitch.

However, There are those situations where sometimes files won’t copy because for a reason totally unbeknownst to me you will get a destination path too long message and you’ll have to reduce the file name, even though windows allows you to copy files well beyond the old 8.3 format and extension conventions. There’s  also the cannot read from source disc error and the cannot write to disc error. Those errors can mean that your hard drive may be in some trouble.

To avoid problems like these, you can download a free file copying utility called unstoppable copier. It’s up to version 5.2, works on all windows systems, and is totally accessible with NVDA. The copying process is slower than using the  basic copying and pasting methods through this PC and file explorer, however, the advantage of using this utility is that it not only copies the file, it also scans and removes anything that would cause the file to become truncated or corrupt. It also can Recover files from disks with physical damage. Allows you to copy files from disks with problems such as bad sectors, scratches or that just give errors when reading data. The program will attempt to recover every readable piece of a file and put the pieces together. Using this method most types of files can be made usable even if some parts were not recoverable in the end. To get this utility go to

http://www.roadkil.net/

I was able to completely repair and successfully reformat 2 external hard drives using this program. Hope this helps some of you folks out there and sorry about the length.

Tony

How do You backup files? Have You backup files manually, or do You use
some software?

And also, which software is accessible with NVDA?

Thank You.

best regards

Marco Oros

Andrea Sherry

Hot stuff!!!

Thanks for the heads up.

Andrea from Australia

On 6/10/2020 12:22 am, Tony Ballou wrote:

[...]

It is critically important that people understand that user data file backup (which is what has mostly been what has been mentioned on this topic) and full system image backups (which include the operating system and the user data for all users on that machine) are two completely different things.

It's actually a good idea to take both, but if you have to choose one it's the full system image backup, as it will snag everything you need to get yourself back up and running should you have something like a main drive failure, while a user data only backup will not.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

soloman s

Sir,
This is a great share indeed.
Could you please share the direct link to the utility for I have
trouble selecting the one suitable for the Windows version that I am
using. Sorry for the inconvenience.

On 10/6/20, Andrea Sherry <sherryan@...> wrote:
[...]

With warm regards
Solomon S